Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Luke Combs

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Luke Combs

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:46 pm

so an AppState student turned mega super star who talks about his university ALL OF THE TIME, is being downtrodden on this thread....

SAD SAD people.....

FAN comments like these contribute to why a school can not have nice things (in reference to earlier post regarding Satterfield trying to buddy up to his fans via tweets to Luke Combs).....

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:46 pm
so an AppState student turned mega super star who talks about his university ALL OF THE TIME, is being downtrodden on this thread....

SAD SAD people.....

FAN comments like these contribute to why a school can not have nice things (in reference to earlier post regarding Satterfield trying to buddy up to his fans via tweets to Luke Combs).....
Didn't you hear? Scott Satterfield is NOT A MOUNTAINEER. He abandoned us to go to some tiny college in Kentucky in a garbage conference ALL FOR MONEY. He is worse than Hitler. Anything he does should be considered an offense to Appalachian State University, the greatest place that anyone has ever been to, which no one will ever want to leave, which is why we all still live in Boone. While we're at it, Anyone that would ever even THINK about rooting for ANYONE in ANY sport other than App is a traitor, a communist, and a pedophile.

(I will note that this is sarcasm since many people don't pick up on it.)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 pm

I’m still a hard rock fan. Never have been a fan of country. But Luke Combs puts out good music. Solid dude.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm

IM4ASU wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 am
I'm a 60's/70's music fan but my grandson did turn me on to Combs. I actually like a few of his songs and that's saying something since I don't like today's country. Definitely like his passion for App.

Not to highjack this thread, but did anyone go to the Eric Church concert in Greensboro a few weeks ago? The reason I ask is my stepson went and he said Church held up a Duke flag and yelled "Duke sucks!" Then he said he bled carolina blue and white. Just wanted confirmation on this. If this is true he's no App alum in my book.
Maybe you missed my multiple tangents on “why I don’t like Eric Church”. He is not a true Black and Gold App guy and just does enough to try and pedal his merch on campus to the poor suckers who think he backs the Black and Gold. I hope he donates to Yosef, but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Anyone that has lived in Charlotte dating back to his rise to fame, he used to come on Mark Packers show and tout the Tarheels a few times per month.

He is a still App Alum, so he can always redeem himself, but you can tell the difference between a Combs and a Church.
The Appalachian State

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 pm

We are chatting away on an App fan board. Talking about other Mountaineers. Somehow like the folks we talk about aren’t real or that they would never do like us and spend time here and read what is being said about them by folks who remain anonymous. Doesn’t seem quite right.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 am

If you like his music or not, you have to respect him for being proud of App and showing it often.
Personally I do like his music. His album is great IMO. I don’t think it is “bro” country and I bet his next albums will have more “outlaw” sounds and songs on it. I think it’s hilarious that he, very unapologetically, doesn’t care if he doesn’t have the typical look of a music superstar and is proud that his gimmick is not having one and just being a normal dude.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 am

Ok...so who does Church pull for when we go to Chapel Hill this Fall?

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:17 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 am
Himself

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am
Merle, Conway , George, Tammy , Johnny , Buck...and Roy...
Absolutely and also Waylon, Willie, Kris, Jerry Jeff, Dwight
I'm a rocker first and foremost but these are the country artists I like.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:49 am

ASU2012 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:17 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 am
Himself
Best answer ever. Great job my friend!
The Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Honestly, people are entitled to believe what they want but I doubt Church worries about how much he sells to App State. He's pretty successful and I doubt we are his key demographic for success. If Church mentions App favorably, I assume it's because that's what he feels.

Luke Combs obviously is a true fan and that's great to see. I have to admit that seeing him wearing that App gear and plug our alma mater makes me like him even more.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:48 am

Bump it up for some new Luke today. What a damn stud

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 am

This proves it; he is a true Mountaineer fan black & gold, unlike some *cough Eric Church*. Keep it up man!

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:39 am

IM4ASU wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 am
I'm a 60's/70's music fan but my grandson did turn me on to Combs. I actually like a few of his songs and that's saying something since I don't like today's country. Definitely like his passion for App.

Not to highjack this thread, but did anyone go to the Eric Church concert in Greensboro a few weeks ago? The reason I ask is my stepson went and he said Church held up a Duke flag and yelled "Duke sucks!" Then he said he bled carolina blue and white. Just wanted confirmation on this. If this is true he's no App alum in my book.
Difference is Eric Church went to App during the times App was less well known ('95 - '99). Our fan base was still strong, but b/c we played I-AA our students/fans would cheer for the Heels when it came to FBS sports. However ever since winning I-AA national championship back-to-back-to-back & beating Michigan, we've shown we're real FBS material &, have given top 25 teams a run for their money (i.e. Vols, Wake Forest, Penn State) & have become a lot more popular. Thus, our students are not afraid of showing fan pride. Luke Combs was a student during that transformation ('09-'13?).

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 am

I saw Church in Greensboro in 18 and 19. In 18 he made a deal out of UNC winning the final four. Didn’t really say anything this year. Someone did hand him an App jersey and he tied it around his mic stand but didn’t say anything about App. If I talk about seeing Church I have to say he puts on a great show. Not a lot of flash, just a lot of good music done very well. I’ve seen a lot of shows and he’s really good.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 am

The Rock wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 am
If you like his music or not, you have to respect him for being proud of App and showing it often.
Personally I do like his music. His album is great IMO. I don’t think it is “bro” country and I bet his next albums will have more “outlaw” sounds and songs on it. I think it’s hilarious that he, very unapologetically, doesn’t care if he doesn’t have the typical look of a music superstar and is proud that his gimmick is not having one and just being a normal dude.

What you consider to be "bro" country is going to become more prevalent as the internet results in more conformity of thought and action between urban and rural centers. Pockets of outlaw will be gone and inserted with real country folks doing pop-country music. There will be relics of towns and counties that still produce decent Country in the olden style but it won't last more than maybe one or two generations (30 years).

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm

What i can't decide is whether his g/f (now fiancee) is a gold digger or not

Snaggy

Unread post by Snaggy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:46 pm

This song is actually by Morgan Wallen, but it’s a great one. Me and my kids have been listening to it for a long time. In the original, “Volunteers” is in the song, as Morgan Wallen is a UT fan. But I’ve always replaced it with “Mountaineers”. My kids know every word and they always say “Mountaineers” (ages 3 and 6).

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 1429435001

Luke will become a member of the Grand Ole Opry. For those keeping score, he is the first Mountaineer to achieve this status.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:07 pm

This is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations to OUR guy. Way to go, Luke!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”