Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Yosef Club Tour

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Yosef Club Tour

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Anybody go to either of the events today? If so, how was it? Anything shared that we don’t already know?

They aren’t coming to Asheville this go round, so I can’t make one this year.

GO APPS!!

ASU85Grad

Re: Yosef Club Tour

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm
Anybody go to either of the events today? If so, how was it? Anything shared that we don’t already know?

GO APPS!!
Hickory was good tonight. The four coaches were I believe, women’s soccer, women’s volleyball, and men’s basketball and football. Coach Drink is a talker. Main point was that every program spoke about how they wanted to win, but with class and dignity. All coaches spoke about how important the Yosef club was for scholarships and facilities. Back to your point, nothing most people did not already know. It was good being around so many App people!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 pm

ASU85Grad wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:38 pm
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Hickory was good tonight. The four coaches were I believe, women’s soccer, women’s volleyball, and men’s basketball and football. Coach Drink is a talker. Main point was that every program spoke about how they wanted to win, but with class and dignity. All coaches spoke about how important the Yosef club was for scholarships and facilities. Back to your point, nothing most people did not already know. It was good being around so many App people!
I was there also. All points above are confirmed. Yes, Drink is a talker and the 4 coaches were consistent with the class, dignity, and maintaining our culture. There must have been at least 150 folks there. I was hoping for some artist renderings of the forthcoming buildings but that did not happen. Still a very positive gathering of Mountaineers! I'm looking forward to the coming year!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 am

scatman77 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 pm
ASU85Grad wrote:
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
I was there also. All points above are confirmed. Yes, Drink is a talker and the 4 coaches were consistent with the class, dignity, and maintaining our culture. There must have been at least 150 folks there. I was hoping for some artist renderings of the forthcoming buildings but that did not happen. Still a very positive gathering of Mountaineers! I'm looking forward to the coming year!
I was also at the Hickory stop last evening and can echo the above comments. I was able to spend a few quick minutes chatting one on one with both Coach Drink and Coach Kerns and came away impressed with both. Drink really is as personable as he seems and on the way home I told my better-half that I'm having a hard time picturing an "angry, livid, frustrated" version of Drink in the locker room after a rough first half...so hopefully he can either turn on the P.O. version of himself when needed, or we have a guy on the new staff that can fill that role.

As for Coach Kerns: definitely seems to be a distinct change from Fox, even in an environment such as that at the Yosef Club tour stop. Much less of a "salesman", but maybe that's just the difference between a Kingsport, TN guy and a NY guy, but I liked it. Much more of a "let our play do the talking and we'll start with defense" kind of guy. And this is random but his speaking tone/style came across as a mix between a young Elvis (which admittedly was before my time but my Mom was one of those crazy Elvis women so...) and Chris Isaak. Of course, that doesn't matter in the least, just a strange observation after a few beers. Ha!

I also left wishing that we maybe would have heard a bit more about facilities, maybe been able to view a few updated renderings, especially of the 105 complex, etc. but I think that with DG not being present (unsure why he wasn't in attendance) and some recent changes in upper-level staff in the dept., it just meant it didn't come together as such.

Also, I kind of wish they would bring some giveaways or maybe even a few items to sell at these stops. Maybe make some basic tour stop t-shirts to give out or sale for $10, as this year's tour logo was pretty sweet, IMHO. Maybe raffle off a signed football or basketball from the new coaches or hold a quick silent-auction for them...something like that. I'm sure you'd have enough support in these rooms to bring a decent number or in the case of a small giveaway or two, build even more good will.

Other than that one wish/request, I was impressed and left feeling optimistic for the fall, and with the realization that only one more big stretch of time is all that lies between the horrendous annual gap of time with no football and players reporting in July.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:54 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:05 am
scatman77 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 pm
ASU85Grad wrote:
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
I was also at the Hickory stop last evening and can echo the above comments. I was able to spend a few quick minutes chatting one on one with both Coach Drink and Coach Kerns and came away impressed with both. Drink really is as personable as he seems and on the way home I told my better-half that I'm having a hard time picturing an "angry, livid, frustrated" version of Drink in the locker room after a rough first half...so hopefully he can either turn on the P.O. version of himself when needed, or we have a guy on the new staff that can fill that role.

As for Coach Kerns: definitely seems to be a distinct change from Fox, even in an environment such as that at the Yosef Club tour stop. Much less of a "salesman", but maybe that's just the difference between a Kingsport, TN guy and a NY guy, but I liked it. Much more of a "let our play do the talking and we'll start with defense" kind of guy. And this is random but his speaking tone/style came across as a mix between a young Elvis (which admittedly was before my time but my Mom was one of those crazy Elvis women so...) and Chris Isaak. Of course, that doesn't matter in the least, just a strange observation after a few beers. Ha!

I also left wishing that we maybe would have heard a bit more about facilities, maybe been able to view a few updated renderings, especially of the 105 complex, etc. but I think that with DG not being present (unsure why he wasn't in attendance) and some recent changes in upper-level staff in the dept., it just meant it didn't come together as such.

Also, I kind of wish they would bring some giveaways or maybe even a few items to sell at these stops. Maybe make some basic tour stop t-shirts to give out or sale for $10, as this year's tour logo was pretty sweet, IMHO. Maybe raffle off a signed football or basketball from the new coaches or hold a quick silent-auction for them...something like that. I'm sure you'd have enough support in these rooms to bring a decent number or in the case of a small giveaway or two, build even more good will.

Other than that one wish/request, I was impressed and left feeling optimistic for the fall, and with the realization that only one more big stretch of time is all that lies between the horrendous annual gap of time with no football and players reporting in July.
Per Doug Gillan: Adam did mention that he stayed in Boone to tailgate/pep rally with the women's basketball team.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:11 pm

ASU85Grad wrote:
appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
Yosef Club donations are not supposed to directly be used for facilities. At least that's the way it once was.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 pm

It is my understanding we need approximately four more ($4m) million per year to provide all the full scholarships the NCAA allows us to have for the 20 sports at App State. No better time than now to put some skin in the game. Please consider joining Yosef, Today. Each one, Reach one...Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:14 pm

appstate24 wrote:

GO APPS!!
The Lenoir luncheon on Tuesday was great again this year. Doug Gillen has been a busy man obviously and gave us some great updates. Got to meet MBB Coach Kerns and Volleyball Coach Ginipro & his staff. Adam had a great Q&A session with Coach Kerns. Coach Drinkwitz confirmed that Hennigan is OK from the injury Saturday at the scrimmage and he got us excited for football season. I was able to get MBB season tickets (1st time), got tickets for last night's WBB WBI Championship win, & confirmed all of our season & away football game tickets. Good time!
Give Em Hell!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Nice to meet the new coaches tonight in Charlotte. Drink is a character, high energy guy. Evans is going to have a chance to flourish in his system, expect a lot of passing. Also expect a return to different paces on offense, including a style similar to the JET package we used to run, and plays under center.

Both basketball coaches were in attendance and you look to be great teachers of the game.

On the facilities front they presented plans for the track and softball fields. The visitor locker rooms will be located in the NEZ in 2020, they’ll dress in the Quinn this year.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:35 am

Went last night as well:

Vball & W BBall players @ App are lucky to have coaches that really care about them. You could just see how much they loved what they do and the ladies on their team.

The folks that put the event together worked very hard on it and I thought it was a great event. $10 was a steal.

My biggest takeaway that hasn’t already been said is the absolute uncanny resemblance between Kerns & Buzz. Same size, same mannerisms, same style.

Also I’m hearing “family” a lot and it feels sincere. People up there really are willing to do what it takes, but definitely looking for partnership as well in return.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm
Nice to meet the new coaches tonight in Charlotte. Drink is a character, high energy guy. Evans is going to have a chance to flourish in his system, expect a lot of passing. Also expect a return to different paces on offense, including a style similar to the JET package we used to run, and plays under center.

Both basketball coaches were in attendance and you look to be great teachers of the game.

On the facilities front they presented plans for the track and softball fields. The visitor locker rooms will be located in the NEZ in 2020, they’ll dress in the Quinn this year.
Saint,

Did you ask this question directly to DG or another official last night? I was trying to look at the floor plan, but it was hard to make out the details.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 am

I asked one of the staff members. Good to see you last night.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 am

Great to see you as well. Glad to know we won't have opposing teams walking through our crowd.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 am

Had a chance to go to the Greensboro stop last night. Lot of the same as what has already been said on the thread. Chatted with Kerns for a bit and one of the AD assistants. Coach Drink sure can "talk the talk", excited to see if he can turn that into success on the field.

They opened up some Q&A with Drinkwitz, thought most folks asked some "unneeded" questions, but Drink was good about listening to everyone. Looks like this guy knows how to recruit and is going to reach for the stars.

Good to hear from the other coaches about their success. We just need to really fund our scholarships and sell more season tickets to football and everything else.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 am
Had a chance to go to the Greensboro stop last night. Lot of the same as what has already been said on the thread. Chatted with Kerns for a bit and one of the AD assistants. Coach Drink sure can "talk the talk", excited to see if he can turn that into success on the field.

They opened up some Q&A with Drinkwitz, thought most folks asked some "unneeded" questions, but Drink was good about listening to everyone. Looks like this guy knows how to recruit and is going to reach for the stars.

Good to hear from the other coaches about their success. We just need to really fund our scholarships and sell more season tickets to football and everything else.
I was there also and really enjoyed speaking with the coaches and hearing their presentations. As you mentioned, the stunning thing from last night was the comparison of our season ticket sales against Troy, Ark St, etc. Really kind of sad...we've got to do better if we want to keep moving this program forward and make it relevant on the national stage. Season tickets sales and Yosef Club support...

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am

I know they don’t want to hear it, but we really need the half plan back!

We are a young family and can at most make half of the games, so at this point, we just can’t do a full season. And if you look at the success @ ASU from 05 to now, there are a lot of young families in our same boat that are passionate, excited and young!

Just my opinion, but want to increase sales significantly, half season plan.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 am

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 am
I know they don’t want to hear it, but we really need the half plan back!

We are a young family and can at most make half of the games, so at this point, we just can’t do a full season. And if you look at the success @ ASU from 05 to now, there are a lot of young families in our same boat that are passionate, excited and young!

Just my opinion, but want to increase sales significantly, half season plan.
I hear you and I did the half plan myself sometimes back in the day. For whatever it's worth, I've never really had an issue selling my extra tickets when I couldn't get to games. Can't say that I've always gotten face value but normally pretty close and that's usually when I just don't want to mess with it any longer. Just throwing that out there but I totally get what you're saying.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am

Great point about the season ticket numbers, I forgot about that. The number provided in Charlotte was only 6,500 season tickets. With the product App puts on the field that is terrible. Drink said Ark St and Troy had over 10k.

Can't claim to have the best SBC fanbase with those numbers.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:10 am
Great point about the season ticket numbers, I forgot about that. The number provided in Charlotte was only 6,500 season tickets. With the product App puts on the field that is terrible. Drink said Ark St and Troy had over 10k.

Can't claim to have the best SBC fanbase with those numbers.
Wow, I remember that number put out in Lenoir too. We must be a bunch of loud SOBs for that low of a number to make as much noise as we do. Just think how loud we could be if we doubled the current season football ticket sales. Looking forward to August 31st.

Beat ETSU!!
Give Em Hell!!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:48 pm

HELL YEA!
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”