Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 pm

I’m in favor of her coaching the boys team if she’s qualified and that’s what she wants to do, but I don’t see how she can do both and be successful. It’s written somewhere that you can’t serve two masters.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm
asu2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am
To DaphneUrquhart and GregPercussion - Your stating an obvious. - I am trying to get into a deeper conversation about the molding of young men by a female coach at the high school level where as a teenager your brain starts to shift from zombie mode to critical thinking. Are boys apt to listen to a female coach at that level - will boys be embarrassed?

Here is a sentence I have about a females potential success / failure in the scenario. I think her overall success could be muted because of the situation and her failure could be greatly exaggerated.

But more so how will teenage boys react on and off court and outside of the chosen sport?
Would you have asked the same question about the male coaches I had in junior high and high school? Or would the question only have arisen when I began coaching high school boys? Why would it be embarrassing to listen to any coach who knew what he or she was talking about? I'd wager that all of these boys have both male and female teachers - some of whom they respect and heed; others whom they neither respect nor heed.

The point is that respect is earned regardless of gender or color. If a high school student cannot learn from both male and female, white and black, there are likely other issues at play.
I was thinking something along these same lines. Where I teach we hired a woman to coach the boy's soccer team. It wasn't a big deal, the boys loved her, and they had a pretty successful season. There were still comments like, "The boys need a strong role model," etc. Why is that comment never uttered when a man coaches girls sports? I'm a man and coached girl's basketball for 3 years. Never did anyone say, "We're fine with you coaching, but do you think you can be a good molder of women since you aren't one?"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”