Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

asu2000
School: Appalachian State

Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 am

Pondering thoughts and open for feedback from those that have experienced a similar scenario or a reversed scenario of males coaching females in High School.

Is High School a good or bad time for opposite sex coaches in Sports?

Hopefully the hyperlink works below for the article.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 32185.html

app87

Re: Watauga High School Hires Female to Coach Boys Basketball.

Unread post by app87 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:07 am

asu2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:54 am
Pondering thoughts and open for feedback from those that have experienced a similar scenario or a reversed scenario of males coaching females in High School.

Is High School a good or bad time for opposite sex coaches in Sports?

Hopefully the hyperlink works below for the article.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... 32185.html
Happened for us in North Myrtle Beach High School. Darcie Vincent, yep her, is now head varsity basketball coach here for the Chiefs which is the first female coach for a male varsity sports program in Horry County. She replaced a local legend, Alvin Greene, who was building a pretty good program and his firing caused a controversy. Jury is still out...

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 am

Happened for us in North Myrtle Beach High School. Darcie Vincent, yep her, is now head varsity basketball coach here for the Chiefs which is the first female coach for a male varsity sports program in Horry County. She replaced a local legend, Alvin Greene, who was building a pretty good program and his firing caused a controversy. Jury is still out...
[/quote]

Well that is an interesting name for sure.
Any overwhelming comments from the community on whether its good at the high school level? Of course she coached in college and has a coaching record at higher levels, but does the community feel gender is appropriate?

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 am

A good coach is a good coach; sex or gender shouldn't matter.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 am

If she's qualified, it shouldn't be big news at all. Just as it shouldn't be big news when an African-American is named head coach. As long as the coach is qualified, I really don't care about his or her gender, race, national origin, etc. There was a time when 99% of coaches in all sports were men just as 99% of all physicians were men.

If we let the best qualified coaches coach, eventually this won't even make the news other than as a general announcement.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 am

Odd, as word on the streets for a long time that caused some candidates to not apply was that Bryson Payne (JV Coach) and son of Marc Payne was a shoe in to be hired. Any idea who the other candidates were that interviewed?

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am

To DaphneUrquhart and GregPercussion - Your stating an obvious. - I am trying to get into a deeper conversation about the molding of young men by a female coach at the high school level where as a teenager your brain starts to shift from zombie mode to critical thinking. Are boys apt to listen to a female coach at that level - will boys be embarrassed?

Here is a sentence I have about a females potential success / failure in the scenario. I think her overall success could be muted because of the situation and her failure could be greatly exaggerated.

But more so how will teenage boys react on and off court and outside of the chosen sport?

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 am

Withthe growing number of single parent households, I’d say a lot of those players have a strong willed momma already...so another strong willed coach won’t hurt...with the emphasis on “coach”...a person trying to make you better at not just sports but life.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 am

I see no problem at all with having a female coach for boys basketball at the high school level. The reverse is common.

I don't know the background of the woman hired at Watauga, but coaches over women's/girl's teams are generally better at coaching the fundamentals and the team aspect of the sport. I would think that background would be very good for a male team as well. Good luck to her!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 am

asu2000 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am
To DaphneUrquhart and GregPercussion - Your stating an obvious. - I am trying to get into a deeper conversation about the molding of young men by a female coach at the high school level where as a teenager your brain starts to shift from zombie mode to critical thinking. Are boys apt to listen to a female coach at that level - will boys be embarrassed?

Here is a sentence I have about a females potential success / failure in the scenario. I think her overall success could be muted because of the situation and her failure could be greatly exaggerated.

But more so how will teenage boys react on and off court and outside of the chosen sport?
If those are concerns - and they may well be - then this will be a good opportunity for the boys and their families to shift their thinking to the 21st century. This won't be the last time in their lives that they'll be reporting to a woman in a position of authority.

Also, I'd recommend "woman" rather than "female."

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am

asu2000 wrote:

The obvious point is the point. Don't read too deep into it. The young boys/girls will end up reacting to a coach in the manner they deem appropriate. If it's because of the sex of the coach; that's their own choice. I believe young people should be molded by people of all sexs.
But in regards to basketball, as Daphne said "If she's qualified, it shouldn't be big news at all". If she's got the qualifications and knows how to coach then the kids will be fine.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am

It really doesn't matter to the young people, they want a knowledgable person who cares and wants to help them get better.
That was my experience in coaching track. Both boys and girls responded the same to me (the male coaching throws) as they did to the female jumps coach.

I have known Laura since her playing days, she will do fine.
Last edited by huskie3 on Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring Your A Game!

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:47 am

huskie3 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am
It really doesn't matter to the young people, they want a knowledgeable person who cares and wants to help them get better.

I have known Laura since her playing days, she will do fine.
Please note I am not targeting the person in the hire - just a topic of the theme of opposite gender coaches and a topic for discussion and understanding. Not targeting any particular person. I know she has had success with the girls team and runs a local basketball program.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am

on the individual level, i'm sure she is a good person, good coach and will do fine. But, there is a difference between men and women, there just is. And young men do need a male role model to become better men. And someone other than a parent. Probably same for young women, I don't know because, i'm a guy. There's a bond between a good coach and player that's more than just the sport. That male bond is healthy and for that reason my opinion is a male coach for male high school/college sports is better. At a younger age or at a professional level it probably doesn't matter.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 am

mike87 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am
on the individual level, i'm sure she is a good person, good coach and will do fine. But, there is a difference between men and women, there just is. And young men do need a male role model to become better men. And someone other than a parent. Probably same for young women, I don't know because, i'm a guy. There's a bond between a good coach and player that's more than just the sport. That male bond is healthy and for that reason my opinion is a male coach for male high school/college sports is better. At a younger age or at a professional level it probably doesn't matter.
Sure, a male coach could relate more to the pubescent changes that the boys go through, but what does me being able to relate to having hair grow on my nuts as a teen have anything to do with my ability to coach and be a positive influence in a high school boy? Being a positive role model has nothing to do with gender.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 am
asu2000 wrote:

If those are concerns - and they may well be - then this will be a good opportunity for the boys and their families to shift their thinking to the 21st century. This won't be the last time in their lives that they'll be reporting to a woman in a position of authority.

Also, I'd recommend "woman" rather than "female."
Or just “coach”...........

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 am

I would be more concerned about her trying to carrying out duties of coaching varsity girls and boys teams at the same time. That is a lot to take on by anyone...male or female.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 am

asu2000 wrote:

........... well posts like this questioning the hire probably won’t do anything positive to keep the players from being “embarrassed”. You’ve already made is about the coaches sex and questioned the relationship between the coach and team.

The fact that you think that what’s between a persons legs means you automatically question to their ability to coach basketball speaks volumes about you as a person.

This persons success has already been muted by you because you’ve refused to make it about this new coaches success and entirely about their sex

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am

I actually think young men can greatly benefit from a woman coach.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am

AppNC wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 am
I would be more concerned about her trying to carrying out duties of coaching varsity girls and boys teams at the same time. That is a lot to take on by anyone...male or female.
This should definitely be the bigger concern.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”