Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Buyout for DG?

GOAPPS37
School: Appalachian State

Re: Buyout for DG?

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 pm

I rarely post on this board, but I started this discussion early this morning and I will just put in my two cents worth on this topic. I am a APP grad and I love this university so much. So much that I know it clouds my position when "our" coaches and ADs want to leave ASU for what they perceive are greener pastures. Over the weekend I was informed from people who I believe are credible sources of information that DG was in Memphis interviewing for the AD position and he was also interviewing at ECU in the fall when I guess their AD position was vacant at the time. There are people out there who love their job regardless of potential bigger and better opportunities. Look at Bob McKillop at Davidson. Because I love ASU so much, I just get so tired of people coming in here simply to use ASU as a stepping stone to go somewhere else. I know this occurs at all universities but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. When Jerry Moore came here, it was probably his last chance to be a head college football coach. He was also hired at an age where if he had continual success at our school, he would be in his fifties and other schools if interested in JM would consider him too old to build a program at their school. Now, with all these young guns we hire, if they enjoy successful years, then they begin exploring other opportunities. Before I knew about DG interviewing, I watched that video clip with him touting all the goals ASU has achieved under his leadership, I was very excited, but now, I will view any similar video clips as a tool to self promote and to add to the resume for future jobs elsewhere. I know I am naive to think these folks want to remain in Boone, but I can always hope there is another rare gem out there like Jerry Moore. This will not have any negative impact on my financial support to this fine university and most importantly, my love for ASU. It is always great to be a Mountaineer!

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 am
Have to be a big $ offer to entice me to live in Memphis. Not a nice city and highest crime rate in the state.
Generally I agree with you, but he would live in Germantown which is very nice, and just work in the cesspool that is the rest of Memphis. It is quite doable. Their current AD makes more than $441k per year. We are not talking about a small raise here.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:03 pm

In most cases where someone is looking at a potential new job situation it’s not just about that person. Is there a job for the spouse? What type? What about the location of extended family. The potential for advancement for all members of the working family? The employment market in Memphis vs Boone. IMO it’s naive to think that someone would not move into a better more lucrative position in order to see how someone they have hired performs.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

Nugget49 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm
ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 am
Have to be a big $ offer to entice me to live in Memphis. Not a nice city and highest crime rate in the state.
salary increase Generally I agree with you, but he would live in Germantown which is very nice, and just work in the cesspool that is the rest of Memphis. It is quite doable. Their current AD makes more than $441k per year. We are not talking about a small raise here.

The Memphis COMMERCIAL APPEAL ran a story just yesterday about a new, external investigation of the women's basketball program and Coach Melissa McFerrin. This investigation (for alleged abuse and harassment of players by the coaching staff) was ordered one day after McFerrin was awarded a contract extension. Just another normal day of life in the UM Tigers athletic department--an ongoing/never-ending dumpster fire! Oh, and the graduation rate is just 44%. Thumbs down!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 am

DG has been good with coaching hires. Really good. There are some coaches that have struggled with improving their program and haven't been let go yet, which bothers me (Women's soccer to be specific since Fox was finally let go).

My main fear with DG is actually the administrative side. Seems like the marketing, fundraising, video, etc. departments are always hiring new people, but the departments never grow larger, making it look like a constant revolving door. Hard to get better in these areas if you can't keep people around. App is a great place. Why do all these people want to leave so quickly?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Salaries! Period!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:07 am

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Salaries! Period!
Disagree. I've talked with multiple people that have left and that has not been an issue to come up yet. Coaches moving up to power 5? Yes salary. Admin don't get paid that much more at other schools until you're at the AD or one level below. I'd venture to say if we go across the state line to ETSU that the salaries are relative, the staff is even smaller...and the people have been there longer.

Starting to make me think it's not a what, but a who? I'm not saying it's DG, but I'm also not saying it isn't since everything in athletics falls under the DG area... Just something I think he or his top people should be looking at. Well, those who are still there at least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”