Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL:

asu66
School: Appalachian State

THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL:

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:44 am

Bowen steps down as athletics director at Memphis, search for replacement begins immediately

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 664407002/
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Re: THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL:

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 am

Potential candidates on radar to replace Tom Bowen as U of M Athletic Director
By Jonah Jordan
Published: May 19, 2019 7:37 AM CT
The University of Memphis shifts its focus from celebrating coach Penny Hardaway’s accomplishments on the recruiting trail to replacing former athletic director Tom Bowen.

As was announced when Bowen stepped down Wednesday, Allie Prescott will serve in an interim role for the foreseeable future while President M. David Rudd and a committee work through candidates and search firms.

Clay Bailey: Bowen departs from U of M athletic director post; Allie Prescott named interim AD

The athletic department is at a different place than it was when Bowen was hired in 2012. Football — under coach Mike Norvell — has grown into an American Athletic Conference leader and Hardaway's recruitment has the Tiger basketball program getting national attention.

Each will need an athletic director who can provide support and fundraising more than someone with hands-on oversight of their programs.

The focus could shift to someone who engages with the community and expands the Memphis Tigers brand. Uncertainty surrounds if the hire swings the athletic department's primary focus back to basketball, leaving the football program without the institutional support that helped build it into an annual AAC conference contender.
Here are some names and credentials of possible Bowen successors.

Potential candidates:
Tim Duncan - New Orleans - Athletic Director

The questions surrounding Duncan involve experience and willingness to jump from the New Orleans job – which he accepted only a few months ago. The Memphis native and former Tiger is popular within the university and in the city so he could adjust to the new job quickly.

Duncan played college basketball at Memphis and served as the executive director of the M Club for several years. He has a marketing background and will continue rising in the industry whether Memphis takes a look at him or not.

Ryan Ivey - Stephen F. Austin - Athletic Director

<span class="s1"><strong>Ryan Ivey</strong></span>
Ryan Ivey

Another former Memphis Tiger who heads an athletic program and worked in Memphis at one point. Ivey, a former punter, worked in the Memphis athletic department and with the Redbirds in the 2000s.

Austin Peay hired Ivey in 2015, and he led them to some of their best athletic achievements in 40 years. The football program saw its best seasons with Will Healy at the helm. Healy was hired by Charlotte in the fall. Ivey tapped Mark Hudspeath to take over the Governors program.

Tom Jurich - Former Louisville Athletic Director

Jurich hired Rick Pitino and helped advance the Cardinals football program in the 20 years he was at Louisville with hires like Charlie Strong and Bobby Petrino. A former football player with knowledge of the landscape and how to handle a program on the rise could benefit Norvell and the Tigers.

The former Louisville athletic director reached a multi-million dollar settlement with the university after being fired in 2017.

Candice Storey Lee - Vanderbilt - Associate Vice Chancellor/ Deputy Athletic Director

<strong>Candice Storey Lee</strong>
Candice Storey Lee

Lee went from the basketball floor to Vanderbilt administration quickly. She’s been involved in the Commodores’ administration since 2004. The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics convention designated Lee as one of their ‘Next Up’ in 2018.

Tommy McClelland II - Louisiana Tech - Athletic Director

<span class="s1"><strong>Tommy McClelland II</strong></span>
Tommy McClelland II

McClelland is the youngest athletic director in the FBS, and started on his career at the age of 26 when McNeese State named him its athletic director. The Louisiana Tech football program has flourished since he arrived in 2013. The Bulldogs have won five consecutive bowl games and sent more players to the NFL than any other Conference USA program.

Louisiana Tech set fundraising records with McClelland at the helm. They also increased football season ticket sales to an all-time high.

Elliot Perry - Memphis Grizzlies — Minority Owner

<span class="s1"><strong>Elliot Perry</strong></span>
Elliot Perry

Rumor has it that the Memphis Grizzlies NBA Draft lottery good luck charm was previously offered jobs at the U of M but never accepted. He has a relationship with Hardaway and just about everyone else at the university. Grizzlies owner Robert Pera named Perry Memphis’ alternate governor for the NBA Board of Governors in 2018.

Laird Veatch - Florida - Executive Associate Athletics Director for Internal Affairs

<strong><span class="s1">Laird Veatch</span></strong>
Laird Veatch

Another up-and-coming name in the athletic director ranks, Veatch could be in line for an athletic director position sooner rather than later. He oversees the administrative side of the football program and is in charge of fundraising for capital projects.

Veatch spent seven years as vice president of Learfield Sports. He’s worked at Iowa State, Kansas State and Texas and played football at Kansas State under Bill Snyder. During his time at Kansas State, Veatch raised money for football stadium expansion and a football training complex.

Two unlikely but familiar faces:
Mark Alnutt - Buffalo - Athletic Director

<span class="s1"><strong>Mark Alnutt</strong></span>
Mark Alnutt

Alnutt’s name will be thrown out for the Memphis job because he worked under Bowen, but he’s in an incredible spot at Buffalo. It would take a good deal for him to jump back to Memphis, despite the connection with the university.

Wren Baker - North Texas - Athletic Director

<span class="s1"><strong>Wren Baker</strong></span>
Wren Baker

One of the top young athletic director’s in the nation, Baker is in a similar situation as Alnutt. He has a solid job with the potential to jump to a Power Five opening in the future. Many in Memphis hold him in a high esteem after he worked under Bowen, but it seems unlikely he ends up involved with the open job.

TOPICS
PENNY HARDAWAY MIKE NORVELL MEMPHIS TIGERS BASKETBALL MEMPHIS TIGERS FOOTBALL
Jonah Jordan
Jonah Jordan
Jonah Jordan was born and raised in Memphis, graduated from the University of Memphis and has covered the Memphis Tigers for three years. When he's not writing, he enjoys golfing and eating barbecue.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

While I certainly value DG and what he’s done here, i just don’t see a bigger program hiring him away at this point. Let the Eli and Kerns hires play out, see what Kermit continues to build, and see how this NEZ project goes - and then if all goes well folks might start calling for DG.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Doug Gillin is not a candidate for the Memphis job. I have very good sources on that subject.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Doug Gillin is not a candidate for the Memphis job. I have very good sources on that subject.
Media reports from out of Memphis seem to bear that out.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Who would want to leave Boone for that H3LL hole Memphis anyway?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm
The Barbeque?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm

I think DG is smart enough to know he don’t have to jump at the first opportunity. He can be patient and in a few years, or sooner depending on how his new hires pan out, get a much better job for more $$ than Memphis offers

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm
I think DG is smart enough to know he don’t have to jump at the first opportunity. He can be patient and in a few years, or sooner depending on how his new hires pan out, get a much better job for more $$ than Memphis offers
Are we certain he hasn't already made an effort at jumping?

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm

If he goes, it'll be to a big time school. Not a Memphis

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm
The Barbeque?

Woodlands and Lexington are just as good or better.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am

hapapp wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm
The Rock wrote:
I mean what if he does? As I've said before, he makes amazing coaching hires (typically, with the jury still out on Drink until we play games). But I still see an administrative turnover issue in some of our more public facing departments (fundraising, marketing, etc.). Staff culture starts at the top...

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am
hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I mean what if he does? As I've said before, he makes amazing coaching hires (typically, with the jury still out on Drink until we play games). But I still see an administrative turnover issue in some of our more public facing departments (fundraising, marketing, etc.). Staff culture starts at the top...
I wasn't expressing a concern as much as just suggesting that perhaps he has already pursued other jobs. I wouldn't be shocked or surprised. It happens all the time.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

There have been various rumors regarding what jobs he has been interested in. Both ECU and Wake I have heard from enough people.

At the end of the day ADs have a shelf life. Realistically by year 6 their popularity goes downhill. It’s impossible to always make good hires with our level of money.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I mean what if he dPresby staffoes? As I've said before, he makes amazing coaching hires (typically, with the jury still out on Drink until we play games). But I still see murnover issue in some of our more public facing departments (fundraising, marketing, etc.). Staff culture starts at the top...
The jury has yet to be seated on D.Kerns. It's a long time 'til mid-March '20 to see if he can take a very experienced team with a deep bench to some post-season destination after eight (8) consecutive losing seasons.

I'm optimistic but not w/o concern. I look at the experience of Kern's chosen assistants versus the experience of Jason Allison and scratch my head in disbelief. I understand loyalty to his Presby staff, but geez... Recruiting for/coaching against the Fun Belt is waaay different from the Big South. (SBC = Conference RPI #17 and climbing; Big South Conference RPI #23 and falling.)

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I mean what if he dPresby staffoes? As I've said before, he makes amazing coaching hires (typically, with the jury still out on Drink until we play games). But I still see murnover issue in some of our more public facing departments (fundraising, marketing, etc.). Staff culture starts at the top...
The jury has yet to be seated on D.Kerns. It's a long time 'til mid-March '20 to see if he can take a very experienced team with a deep bench to some post-season destination after eight (8) consecutive losing seasons.

I'm optimistic but not w/o concern. I look at the experience of Kern's chosen assistants versus the experience of Jason Allison and scratch my head in disbelief. I understand loyalty to his Presby staff, but geez... Recruiting for/coaching against the Fun Belt is waaay different from the Big South. (SBC = Conference RPI #17 and climbing; Big South Conference RPI #23 and falling.)
You're right. Forgot about MBB on this. Jury is always out until you prove yourself in the first season, or even second season if you're stuck with another coaches players.

Sure seems like a lot of the admin are finding good reasons to work for AD's other than DG though. And I don't think it's money related...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm
asu66 wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
hapapp wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Sure seems like a lot of the admin are finding good reasons to work for AD's other than DG though. And I don't think it's money related...
Working in higher ed athletics fundraising is always a high pressure situation. Not everyone is cut out to handle the pressure. If one can't handle the pressure, he/she is unlikely to succeed. One who succeeds at our level and is ambitious--is soon drawing a higher salary elsewhere. That's especially true for one who isn't an App alum. A high achieving alum would be more inclined to stay and enjoy being a part of making Mountaineer history.

When the west campus is crawling with cranes and truckloads of pre-stressed, concrete puzzle-parts and fans are screamin' for a new track and field complex on the 105 campus, the pressure on every member of the athletic department staff is beyond anything ever witnessed at our alma mater. Again, not everyone can handle that level of stress.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:53 am

asu66 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm
asu66 wrote:
BooneKarate wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Working in higher ed athletics fundraising is always a high pressure situation. Not everyone is cut out to handle the pressure. If one can't handle the pressure, he/she is unlikely to succeed. One who succeeds at our level and is ambitious--is soon drawing a higher salary elsewhere. That's especially true for one who isn't an App alum. A high achieving alum would be more inclined to stay and enjoy being a part of making Mountaineer history.

When the west campus is crawling with cranes and truckloads of pre-stressed, concrete puzzle-parts and fans are screamin' for a new track and field complex on the 105 campus, the pressure on every member of the athletic department staff is beyond anything ever witnessed at our alma mater. Again, not everyone can handle that level of stress.
I respectfully disagree with a good portion of this. I don't think stress is the deciding issue. Every college athletics department has that. We are not an anomaly in that way. Was this an issue before DG? This isn't the first time that Athletics have built new facilities.

But for the sake of not disagreeing since we all want App to be as successful as possible...let's say its stress. Are our people being over-worked and underappreciated? Stress is usually a result of being pulled in too many directions or being stretched too thin. Is that happening to us? If so, how do we fix the problem?

I just have a hard time with the theory of "it just happens sometimes and we have to live with it". And definitely a tough time with "my crap don't stink" or "my smoking doesn't bother me". I think we have to realize it's an issue and fix it somehow. But it starts at the top. Until DG feels that turnover is too high, nothing will ever happen. Maybe someone above him needs to tell him. Maybe us cabin-ers need to say it to Yosef Club to get the message in, but if we just tell the Yosef Club, they just got here this year and they'll be gone next year anyways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”