Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

From Inside KBS

T-Dog

Re: From Inside KBS

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:52 pm
Now, is the time for a really solid Marketing and Promotions Team to be formed.
I'd be willing to consider joining an App marketing and promotions staff member a a full-time employee. And it needs to be a culture or rivals, not people who say yes all the time.

There's needs to be more carrots for people who donate less than $500 a year. That will bring more people into the fold who might want to donate more down the line when they can.

AppDawg
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:51 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:52 pm
Now, is the time for a really solid Marketing and Promotions Team to be formed.
I'd be willing to consider joining an App marketing and promotions staff member a a full-time employee. And it needs to be a culture or rivals, not people who say yes all the time.

There's needs to be more carrots for people who donate less than $500 a year. That will bring more people into the fold who might want to donate more down the line when they can.
Along these lines, there needs to be a better explanation of what yosef “points” mean and what they get you. When do they come into play and why should we be incentivized to accumulate them?

Be open about how seating at away games is determined, are they factored in at all on parking, priority purchases of in-demand tickets, etc.

If “points” are no longer being used or maintained by Yosef/Athletic department then they should say so.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:54 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 pm
Reads a lot of stuff on this message board however just decided to officially join yesterday? Everything being said is no shock, and honestly we've been saying on here for years. Charlie Cobb and his people that mattered never thought we'd join FBS and take off like this, gaining so much recognition. Hell, nobody on here saw this success coming this early. Problem is, we've lost two coaches who went to P5 programs, because we can't afford to keep anyone around. Reading Clark's contract details, while it's way more than I make, it's kind of embarrassing that given our success we can't afford to give him more. I think his love for App State and desire to be here long term which unlike Drink I actually believe, is a major reason why he got the job. D.G. knew we'd be losing coaches almost annually if we went with other candidates.

While I agree that the best way to spread Yosef Club donation requests is through word of mouth by people like us, the university needs to do a much better job promoting.
Did you read the thread about his contract? I mentioned that it was very low and I felt his bonus money and base salary just looked way lower than I thought he would get but some were like why can't I just be happy for him if he is happy.

I would like to know where the buyout money from Missouri is going? Did Shawn decline a higher salary so he could combine that with the buyout money and pay assistants more? Did it all go to Gillin or to expansion? I figured with that added money that we would give Clark a much better contract. He deserves it for his loyalty.

If we are paying all we can afford right now then yes money is very tight. There are a couple jobs on staff that I heard the salaries and I laughed. I love football and we have jobs on our staff that I would not do for the money they pay with the cost of living in Boone. I get why some of our coaches built houses in the past or why nobody stays. Boone is a great place to be and I love Appalachian but the salaries some make is a real joke. Every single coach, director of football operations, equipment people, assistant, player personnel, recruiting, etc all should be making 100k or more and I don't think any of the support staff does beyond the HC, position coaches, and strength coach. I need to look them up because I'm not 100% sure that our S&C is paid more than 100k. They should be making more like 200k and I know there is no way we are paying that. A top 20 football team in the country should pay like they are one but we just can't do it. Some things have to change. That much I know.
"Every single coach, director of football operations, equipment people, assistant, player personnel, recruiting, etc all should be making 100k or more and I don't think any of the support staff does beyond the HC, position coaches, and strength coach."

I know this isn't a common thought but the athletic trainer and sports medicine staff need equality in compensation as well. To pay a S/C coach $100K and not pay the sports medicine staff equally is insulting.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:43 am

I would also be focusing on those who have retired and moved to Boone and the surrounding areas as a potential breeding ground for donations. My wife's grandfather lived in Albuquerque and he donated regularly to UNM. He never attended the school, but he enjoyed sports (basketball was his favorite) and believed in higher education and so he began supporting them. Those who can afford to retire and move to God's Country should have no problem donating, they just need a reason (maybe include tickets to the music programs and art shows on campus) and perhaps a gentle nudge.
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 am

Go back to my question about donations. RAMS club 62 mil...Yosef 3.5 mil. We should use social media to highlight that the best value for your donation is where it’s most appreciated not expected. Why continue to give money to a place that doesn’t need it!

ASUTed

Unread post by ASUTed » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am

High cost of living in Boone?
This is what 300k buys in Boone:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/615- ... 7403_zpid/

And now what 300k buys in Charlotte:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/800- ... 9908_zpid/

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 am

ASUTed wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am

And this is what the Athletics Department pays for 3-5 years of experience and a Masters Degree

- 32,000 to 40,000

And this is how long people will stay while being paid 40k or less with a Masters Degree and being treated like crap and being pushed into 20 or more hours of OT every week

- 12 months

We should hope the problem gets fixed instead of saying "well it could be worse". And let's be honest, Charlotte, as a city, has more to offer than Boone. That's why so many of our alum move there. Be offended by that if you want but it's true and we all know it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am

ASUTed wrote:

I live in the Charlotte area and can tell you that Charlotte home isn't really representative of what $300K can buy. Yes, the Charlotte housing market is high (overpriced) but you can still buy quite a bit of house for $300K. It looks like your intend is to imply the Boone area isn't that high in terms of cost of living, but I would have to disagree (if that's your point).

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am

1st world problems.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 am

ASUTodd wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 am
1st world problems.
1st world problems is right. But I believe ASU stated in the original post that people don't leave because of the money. Being treated like crap isn't a 1st world problem. Sounds like that is more of a leading cause...

ASU

Unread post by ASU » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:42 am

A $300k house isn't really an option for anyone that works in the athletic department except for the top few administrators (assuming they're part of a two income home) and some head coaches. Staff and assistant coaches can't dream of that.
Apartment rent is sky high based in supply and demand, and you can find some reasonable ones, but you have to have good timing and be lucky.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 am
ASUTed wrote:

I live in the Charlotte area and can tell you that Charlotte home isn't really representative of what $300K can buy. Yes, the Charlotte housing market is high (overpriced) but you can still buy quite a bit of house for $300K. It looks like your intend is to imply the Boone area isn't that high in terms of cost of living, but I would have to disagree (if that's your point).

No $300k will not buy you a decent home in CLT unless you choose an undesirable location and like to hear gunfire in the vicinity.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 pm

A more serious question I pose. App is about the "cheapest" of the NC state supported schools to attend from a tuition and fees standpoint and has been for a lot of years. There are plenty of prospective students applying each year and a hike in the cost would not end this [at least cost on par with NCSU, UNCC, ECU, UNCW etc.]. Not that this would fix athletic budget needs but the university does have other needs as well. why do they wish to be a "loss leader"?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 am
DG loves Boone and App State. There's a reason he didn't go to Cincy and it wasn't all money related. He wants to be here. But, at the same time, realizes there's a cap for success for all athletic programs with the limited funding. At the end of the day, Yosef Club needs to grow.

If everyone on this board pledged a minimum 10% increase to Yosef Club every year, we would be able to fully fund scholarships within a couple years.

I don't know how many registered members there are, but I see the max amount of concurrent users was 1551. We have over 100,000 living alumni. Only 5% give (that's a high estimate). If 50% of the highest concurrent users give $10 a month, that's North of $93,000 a year! Increase that by 10% in year 2, and it gets to just over $102,000 a year.

Our issue is not reaching the people that don't realize even $10 a month does a world of wonders. Sure, it may not get the football benefits as higher donors, but, if you love the school and athletic program like so many claim, giving up two over priced coffees a month is more than worth it!
Then why are there no funding drives that cater to small donors? Jump starting these drives are nearly non-existent as far as expenses go and social media campaigns are easy enough to manage.
Last edited by ericsaid on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 am
Go back to my question about donations. RAMS club 62 mil...Yosef 3.5 mil. We should use social media to highlight that the best value for your donation is where it’s most appreciated not expected. Why continue to give money to a place that doesn’t need it!
Seems like the Yosef Club just started a Twitter recently? Saw that Shawn Clark just began following them within the past two weeks. It's relatively inexpensive to promote posts on there and starting a drive that caters to small donors and fans of App State football could net a healthy return. Recurrent donations of $10 a month should be attainable and something that could easily be sold. It's also a small enough amount to where there may not be a necessity to send out some flair for it and people won't expect it. I've given money here and there but my household budget with one person working is on a tight rope at the moment.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 pm

I don't mean to sound like we should copycat another school's fund-raising body but how many here know what IPTAY originally stood for? That was many man years ago when it started but look at what it's grown into. If Yosef Club could as stated above get donors started early and often it would very easily trickle up to more significant contributions as years and income progressed.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:17 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:13 am
The economics in college football just don't make sense anyway. I know it's a demanding job, but the salaries are insane.
Coaching is critical but the salaries for head coaches and coordinators at the P5 level are insane. No public school employee should make more than 3M a year. That is just way too much. The fact some are making 7-9M is just mind boggling. All phases of the program matter. A head coach won't succeed without good assistant coaches, the coaches need a good recruiting department to find the talent, strength coach must develop that talent in the off-season and make them bigger, faster, stronger and the players must fit in your culture and put in the work. If you don't get the right players, don't develop them, or they just aren't any good then you can't win. The fact the head coaches make what they do is insane for sure.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 pm
I don't mean to sound like we should copycat another school's fund-raising body but how many here know what IPTAY originally stood for? That was many man years ago when it started but look at what it's grown into. If Yosef Club could as stated above get donors started early and often it would very easily trickle up to more significant contributions as years and income progressed.
If I remember correctly it was "I Pay Ten A Year". Just 10 bucks a year and now people are saying 10 bucks a month.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:19 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 pm
scatman77 wrote:
If I remember correctly it was "I Pay Ten A Year". Just 10 bucks a year and now people are saying 10 bucks a month.
It started in the early 1930’s. 160 donors payed $10 the first year ($1600)

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:19 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:18 pm
scatman77 wrote:
It started in the early 1930’s. 160 donors payed $10 the first year ($1600)
I was not sure the year but knew it was well before probably all of us were born. I just said that meaning my how much inflation has happened. It has gone from 10 bucks to now that. I bet they raise 10 bucks every 10 seconds now. LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”