Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

From Inside KBS

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: From Inside KBS

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am
There are 8 people?

How about people begin to take Shawn Clark's advice, "scared money don't make no money". 8 people isn't enough people to run a small transportation firm much less an organization hoping to garner enough donations to cover in full all athletic scholarships. Are they relying on people doing the work themselves to find out how far their money goes, where it goes, where to donate, who it helps, and what the possibilities would be with continued support?

Eight people.

The constraint that places on capacity caps the amount of money you are able to bring in dramatically and would seem to be low even if App were Division II playing against Lenoir-Rhyne and Catawba.
I decided to look at ECU, in terms of their structure, just to compare. They have 12 staff, including an intern. They also have a full time role in Charlotte.

I'm not saying that the YC can staff in this way, because the money isn't there right now, but it's interesting to compare how other schools do it.

UNCC has 8, looks to be set up much in the same way as the Yosef Club.
Give 'em hell!

ASU

Unread post by ASU » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am

I'm sure they'd love to add more staff to Yosef, but somebody has to pay for that. Obviously you have to spend money to make money, but the money just isn't there. It ends up being a vicious cycle.
Oh, and every time someone new steps in they have to learn the ropes, learn who is who, get to know everyone, and then get their stuff packed for their next job, all within 12-24 months.
Last edited by ASU on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am
ericsaid wrote:
There are 8 people?

How about people begin to take Shawn Clark's advice, "scared money don't make no money". 8 people isn't enough people to run a small transportation firm much less an organization hoping to garner enough donations to cover in full all athletic scholarships. Are they relying on people doing the work themselves to find out how far their money goes, where it goes, where to donate, who it helps, and what the possibilities would be with continued support?

Eight people.

The constraint that places on capacity caps the amount of money you are able to bring in dramatically and would seem to be low even if App were Division II playing against Lenoir-Rhyne and Catawba.
I decided to look at ECU, in terms of their structure, just to compare. They have 12 staff, including an intern. They also have a full time role in Charlotte.

I'm not saying that the YC can staff in this way, because the money isn't there right now, but it's interesting to compare how other schools do it.

What else do they do that is different from YC? I know ECU's Pirate Club seems to be quite a bit larger than App's Yosef Club membership. The Student Pirate Club, at least when I was there, allowed students to have priority entrance and seating for a small donation. A large number of students took advantage of this. It may also help with membership after graduation.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 am

ASU wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am
I'm sure they'd love to add more staff to Yosef, but somebody has to pay for that. Obviously you have to spend money to make money, but the money just isn't there. It ends up being a vicious cycle.
Oh, and every time someone new steps in they have to learn the ropes, learn who is who, get to know everyone, and then get their stuff packed for their next job, all within 12-24 months.
This issue isn't exclusive to Yosef Club or public works in general. Many company's deal with this, but to what extent more than in the past I'm not sure.

Retaining talent is harder than ever and it's become more expensive to locate and then retain that talent. The question I have is what is App doing currently that could be done better? DG was known as someone who would be a good fundraiser but I haven't seen it come to fruition.

What is membership in the Student Yosef Club like? Perhaps the Yosef Club offering internships with real world working experience in public works fundraising would be a decent method to get more people on board. Of course it's largely experimental but it could be helpful?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:10 pm

ericsaid wrote:
What else do they do that is different from YC? I know ECU's Pirate Club seems to be quite a bit larger than App's Yosef Club membership. The Student Pirate Club, at least when I was there, allowed students to have priority entrance and seating for a small donation. A large number of students took advantage of this. It may also help with membership after graduation.
Just going by titles, the Pirate club has a controller (which I'm sure someone performs that task for the YC), as well as some administrative positions. I know in the past the YC has had interns, as well (as does the Pirate Club). The Charlotte Director would be a prime position for the YC, as we have so many alums in the area, but the money has to be there to make it worthwhile.

There is a Student Yosef Club, and it has grown significantly in the past 10-15 years. When I was in Boone (98-02), I believe there was a Student YC, but there wasn't much to it. Now I know it offers some small perks and I believe that students who are members earn points towards their membership, the same as non-students do. They've also done a good job pushing for young alumni, offering extra points/perks for joining right after graduating. That's one of the really good things they've done that I wasn't able to take much advantage of because of my age/graduation.

The Yosef Club does a lot of great things, with not much staff. It's easy to gripe and complain about things we think should be done differently, but I really do appreciate their work.
Give 'em hell!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:33 pm

Another comparison, this time to Boise State and the Bronco Athletic Association. They have "over 4000" members, per their online brochure. Contributions, as of 2018, were around $10.5mil. According to their website, they have a staff of 9, in essentially the same positions (by title) as the Yosef Club - with the addition of a "Customer Service Representative".

Their "base" offering is very similar to the Yosef Club in terms of levels and perks. Parking, points, ticket priority, AD gift is all included. But they also have 3 programs that I'm not aware of App offering - a womens sports-specific fund (donations earmarked to that fund count the same as to the BAA), a Football Coaches Club, and a Hardwood Club.

The football and basketball clubs offer specific perks to members that are really cool. For football, a $6k donation gets members:
» Two (2) pregame sideline passes to home games (restrictions apply)
» Exclusive membership gift
» Access to select practices (fall and spring)
» Behind-the-scenes access to Pro Day
» Special events with Coach Harsin throughout the season
» Reserved VIP parking pass (100 priority point bonus if declined)
» Email updates from Coach Harsin
» Conference Championship ring or pendant (if team qualifies)
» Access to the pregame buffet in the Stueckle Sky Center prior to
each home game
» Access to postgame head coach and player press conference
following each home game
» Two (2) seats at the Football Awards Banquet held following the
regular season

Larger donations get even more perks (tiers at $10k and $20k). The basketball club has tiers at $1200 and $5k and offers courtside seats, tours, access to practice, etc. I cannot figure out if these donations are in addition to a "regular" BAA donation or not, but I'd assume it is bundled in. Their brochure is pretty slick.
Give 'em hell!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:27 am
ASU wrote:
This issue isn't exclusive to Yosef Club or public works in general. Many company's deal with this, but to what extent more than in the past I'm not sure.

Retaining talent is harder than ever and it's become more expensive to locate and then retain that talent. The question I have is what is App doing currently that could be done better? DG was known as someone who would be a good fundraiser but I haven't seen it come to fruition.

What is membership in the Student Yosef Club like? Perhaps the Yosef Club offering internships with real world working experience in public works fundraising would be a decent method to get more people on board. Of course it's largely experimental but it could be helpful?
ericsaid - I think you should go back and read all points of the original post in this thread. ASU exclusively stated that the amount employees are paid isn't the only issue. Employees are leaving because they aren't treated well. And admin has no idea why they're leaving because they don't hold exit interviews. I've heard DG himself say that people left for opportunities that pay better, but doesn't say that's why they left. Sometimes it isn't about getting paid more, its about working in a better environment. Retaining talent isn't hard if you treat them well.

I know that it takes money to make money, but pay someone 50k to live in Charlotte and be an App fundraiser and I'd venture to say you'd at least break even, especially when you cut out the cost of the trips that current YC staff make to CLT each year.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:06 pm
I think one simple place to start would be to send a mailer to every alum in the database that doesn't currently give. Ask for $5 or $10/mo, explaining how it helps not only the athletic program, but the university in general. A catchy program and name, like IPTAY, would really help drive membership (I assume).

I donated to YC for 8 or so years, then was unable to do so for a couple. During those couple of years when I wasn't donating, I never heard a single thing from Boone about it. Reaching out to folks who used to donate and no longer do is another potential source of revenue, if for nothing else than to find out why they stopped donating in the first place.
We need to make sure that ALL alumni athletes are contacted and I mean with regular and personal stuff. The Former Athletes Association is trying its best to help do that but for me personally in talking with athletes from my era (73-78) what I hear is: "No one from athletics ever contacted me, has ever contacted me, and neither has the Yosef Club." Sure we can say that all they need to do is hit up the website but it's a well-known fact (at least to me) that personal intentional contact goes a long, long way towards developing that person's desire to contribute. I know for a fact the football players from that era feel very alienated, at least a lot of whom I've talked with.
I completely agree on the contact part, and understand the feeling of alienation (even though I don’t have the ties that a former athlete would have). In fact, I felt a little betrayed (probably to the right word) that no one ever seemed to care that I was no longer donating. I wasn’t a huge donor by any stretch, but was giving $1k/yr at one point. I began donating again a couple years ago on my own because I was able to do so again, but not quite at that level.

Reaching out to all alums, as well as those who no longer donate is a great place to start. Also, as pointed out in this thread, hit every business in Watauga, Wilkes, Ashe, Catawba, etc and try to get them involved, even at a low level.
Not contacting a former donor to see why they stopped upsets me more than someone not hearing from YC in the first place. We'll never gain ground if we can't retain the donors we already have.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Struck me that we have 3 people working on gifts of $25,000 or more. What do we get, maybe 40 of those a year. 13 per person per year. I know you need to focus on the elephants but sounds like the problem is at the top of the food chain.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm
ericsaid wrote:
ASU wrote:

ericsaid - I think you should go back and read all points of the original post in this thread. ASU exclusively stated that the amount employees are paid isn't the only issue. Employees are leaving because they aren't treated well. And admin has no idea why they're leaving because they don't hold exit interviews. I've heard DG himself say that people left for opportunities that pay better, but doesn't say that's why they left. Sometimes it isn't about getting paid more, its about working in a better environment. Retaining talent isn't hard if you treat them well.

I know that it takes money to make money, but pay someone 50k to live in Charlotte and be an App fundraiser and I'd venture to say you'd at least break even, especially when you cut out the cost of the trips that current YC staff make to CLT each year.

We had a Yosef employee in Charlotte but not currently. Not sure why.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:47 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ASU wrote:

Retaining poorly paid talent, despite being treated well, is still difficult.

ASU

Unread post by ASU » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:00 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:47 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
ASU wrote:

Retaining poorly paid talent, despite being treated well, is still difficult.
But it wouldn't hurt to try, would it?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm

From my long career in HR comes a point that needs, at least. some consideration. We're on page five of a thread triggered by "ASU," an anonymous "contributor" who has been a member of our forum for four days and who has six total posts with his/her first one coming about mid-day on Jan 1.

This person has had quite a lot to say (much of it negative) and little or nothing to back it up. Said person's written comments are not unlike those that might be made by a disgruntled former employee wanting to create a stir. It seems to me that quite a few among us have been willing (up until now) to accept everything this person has said very directly or has implied as the "gospel truth."

Comments like "treating people like s**t" and "making people work excessive overtime" among many, raise questions for me about the veracity of the claims and the actual intent of the "contributor." Both of those phrases imply that someone in a supervisory position has imposed "something unwanted or lacking in fairness" upon a subordinate. Trust me, Appalachian has a well-used and effective grievance policy and procedure for resolving matters like this.

Even the thread title "From inside KBS" implies that the "unfair or unwanted treatment" occurred from within the football staff, the strength and conditioning staff or the track and field staff and/or the administrator(s) of same. From there, the number of persons with "supervisory responsibilities" is limited to a small, finite group of people.

There's much more to this "thread-from-out-of-the-clear-blue" than is being related to us by "ASU."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am
ericsaid wrote:
There are 8 people?

Eight people.

While not Specific to Athletics, we do have a dedicated development officer in Raleigh and another in Charlotte. I know the individual in Raleigh does not discriminate where someone donates, be it academics or athletics, so long as they are giving back. Every dollar helps the University no matter where it is received.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Westisthebest wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:33 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:06 pm
I think one simple place to start would be to send a mailer to every alum in the database that doesn't currently give. Ask for $5 or $10/mo, explaining how it helps not only the athletic program, but the university in general. A catchy program and name, like IPTAY, would really help drive membership (I assume).

I donated to YC for 8 or so years, then was unable to do so for a couple. During those couple of years when I wasn't donating, I never heard a single thing from Boone about it. Reaching out to folks who used to donate and no longer do is another potential source of revenue, if for nothing else than to find out why they stopped donating in the first place.
We need to make sure that ALL alumni athletes are contacted and I mean with regular and personal stuff. The Former Athletes Association is trying its best to help do that but for me personally in talking with athletes from my era (73-78) what I hear is: "No one from athletics ever contacted me, has ever contacted me, and neither has the Yosef Club." Sure we can say that all they need to do is hit up the website but it's a well-known fact (at least to me) that personal intentional contact goes a long, long way towards developing that person's desire to contribute. I know for a fact the football players from that era feel very alienated, at least a lot of whom I've talked with.
I completely agree on the contact part, and understand the feeling of alienation (even though I don’t have the ties that a former athlete would have). In fact, I felt a little betrayed (probably to the right word) that no one ever seemed to care that I was no longer donating. I wasn’t a huge donor by any stretch, but was giving $1k/yr at one point. I began donating again a couple years ago on my own because I was able to do so again, but not quite at that level.

Reaching out to all alums, as well as those who no longer donate is a great place to start. Also, as pointed out in this thread, hit every business in Watauga, Wilkes, Ashe, Catawba, etc and try to get them involved, even at a low level.
I find your situation similar and odd to me as well. I was giving at a slightly higher level than that starting in 04 or 05. Every year I got a call from Gerald Adams making sure I was going to donate again. Answer was always sure, even when money was tight. It was just the interaction and knowing it mattered. I got to hear the same story every year about his son in law, I believe, was a woodworker. I stopped getting that call, for obvious reasons, or any call from Yosef and haven't given since. Times are different now as well. With a couple kids playing travel sports and being much more involved in church mission work it's hard to have much money left over. However I am sure I could come up with something if I ever got a call.
Why would you "wait on a call" to be a Yosef Member????? Every Alumnus or real fan should be a Yosef Member. No call should be needed. Give me your number and I will call you if that is what it takes.

ASU

Unread post by ASU » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm
From my long career in HR comes a point that needs, at least. some consideration. We're on page five of a thread triggered by "ASU," an anonymous "contributor" who has been a member of our forum for four days and who has six total posts with his/her first one coming about mid-day on Jan 1.

This person has had quite a lot to say (much of it negative) and little or nothing to back it up. Said person's written comments are not unlike those that might be made by a disgruntled former employee wanting to create a stir. It seems to me that quite a few among us have been willing (up until now) to accept everything this person has said very directly or has implied as the "gospel truth."

Comments like "treating people like s**t" and "making people work excessive overtime" among many, raise questions for me about the veracity of the claims and the actual intent of the "contributor." Both of those phrases imply that someone in a supervisory position has imposed "something unwanted or lacking in fairness" upon a subordinate. Trust me, Appalachian has a well-used and effective grievance policy and procedure for resolving matters like this.

Even the thread title "From inside KBS" implies that the "unfair or unwanted treatment" occurred from within the football staff, the strength and conditioning staff or the track and field staff and/or the administrator(s) of same. From there, the number of persons with "supervisory responsibilities" is limited to a small, finite group of people.

There's much more to this "thread-from-out-of-the-clear-blue" than is being related to us by "ASU."
I'll say that is a fair comment. I have little to back it up because I'd like to remain anonymous. Truly, I don't think I'm disgruntled- I, like many, left for something that's better for me, and got it. My points were not to start arguments, but to show the inside of what many on here care so nearly about. I'm not making personal attacks on anyone or releasing sensitive or confidential information, just merely making the fans and supporters aware of the situation.

I was actually unfamiliar with the grievance policy, and cannot say that I know anyone in athletics that has used it. You need the reference from App to get out, so I think there are more than a few people who kept their head down to do their job and get on to the next thing. I am NOT suggesting that there is a culture of intimidation or fear in the department,

Also, KBS is the most well known athletic building, that's why I used it. Not pointing to any particular team or office within there :)

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 pm

asu66 wrote:

Doesn’t quite pass the smell test does it Mr Parker ?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:59 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:47 pm
asu66 wrote:

Doesn’t quite pass the smell test does it Mr Parker ?
Like an outdoor fish market in the mid-day August sun. :?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:57 am

I think the 6 pages comes from the feeling that where our athletes at App do more with less our Yosef club staff in general does not. I’m all in with those guys and like them all personally but they really should do better.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:23 am

mike87 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:57 am
I think the 6 pages comes from the feeling that where our athletes at App do more with less our Yosef club staff in general does not. I’m all in with those guys and like them all personally but they really should do better.
I don't know how much it cost but digital media (Facebook) where you click and sign up with Credit Card at $10/month until cancelled. Add blast Must be followed up with an email and a phone call or personal invitation at the game (Ipad in the stands....ASKING). Give the first year contributions (half of what they close) to the person that closes with Signature.

Just like the P6 branded themselves the P6....We should copy the Atlanta Braves and dub ourselves, AMERICA'S TEAM THE APPALACHIAN STATE MOUNTAINEERS.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”