Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Questions to parents who have kids at APP

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Questions to parents who have kids at APP

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 am

... or have recent knowledge about what I am asking -
A friend asked us yesterday for tips about Boone lodging - her son is transferring from UNCC and he and a friend are looking at off-campus housing. We told her it was so long ago that we went thru that with our daughter that I was sure our info would be outdated. If anyone has suggestions about areas/complexes, etc., to look at OR to stay away from please feel free to pass the info on - she said they hoped to find a place near the AppleCart so they wouldn't have to drive ---
Thanks
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

VNova
School: Appalachian State

Re: Questions to parents who have kids at APP

Unread post by VNova » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 am

This is 5-year old information:

Winkler Apartments near the mall was where I lived my senior year. Benefits are:

1) Walking distance to Appalachian Mountain Brewery, Peabody's, and Cookout.
2) Appalcart stop is nearby at the stripmall next to the buildings. If they get a place above the retail building, it's right across from them.
3) Rent was dirt cheap when I was there, but unknown to me now.
4) Landlord lives in a farmhouse next to all the apartments. The land has been in his family for a long time and he takes great care of tenant issues. Ex. Had an issue with the water heater and he replaced it the next day.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 am

I'd stay very far away from the Cottages on 105 (near University Highlands). I've heard nothing but bad things about the construction of the homes, management, tenants, etc.

University Highlands was run like a prison when I was there, but perhaps that has changed.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 am

My son is currently in Mountaineer Village. I like the location of it and it has multiple Appalcart stops, but depending on where you are in the complex, the Wifi is spotty and the cell coverage is bad, so he plans to live somewhere else next year. From what I've looked at around town, most everything is near an Appalcart stop.

darring21

Unread post by darring21 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:43 am

App now has a student review of off-campus housing that may be useful.
https://offcampus.appstate.edu/off-camp ... ng-reviews

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:46 am

I stayed in Mounaineer Village and Univerisity Highlands.. bus ran right through both... I definitely wouldn't have described Highlands as a prison (unless you were referring to the 30 yr old beds). Mountaineer Village wasn't furnished and Highlands was...

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 am

I have no kids, but my two sisters are now enrolled. I graduated from App somewhat recently (Class of '10).

My top recommendation would be Village of Meadowview. The AppalCart (Purple Route) comes by every 15 minutes, all utilities are included in rent (except electric) & is a very safe neighborhood. Especially for women. Amenities include game room, fitness room, etc. Has a 4.9/5.0 rating. Here's the link:

https://www.apartments.com/village-of-m ... c/wtdk8jj/

https://www.thevillageofmeadowview.com/

Definitely would've lived here if I could've afford it. A bit pricey, but not as much as ones next to campus. And from what I've been told, it's totally worth it.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Easy answer for me. Mountaineer Village! Was not furnished but was all inclusive, amble parking for residents and visitors, great and friendly staff, good workout facility, pool, etc.

It used to be one cost a month and overages on electricity every 3 months. Meaning cable, wi-fi, etc all included. Not sure if this is still the case. Convenient but far enough away from hustle and bustle. AppalCart routes good for the area and frequent as well. Backs up to a great park with walking trails and the App State Soccer facility.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:18 pm

I lived in Kensington Meadows for a couple of years, and I enjoyed it. It's away from the town headed west on 421 near the 421 and 105 bypass intersection.

We had a lot of good parties that never got busted because of its location, including a block party that didn't get broken up until 230ish after the Michigan win. They have parking at the bottom of the hill, where you can catch the bus. A lot of open grass area and probably the best views of Grandfather/Beech/Sugar mountains. They would have to find two more roommates though.

I also lived in Turtle Creek near the hospital. Not the greatest of places although cheaper and offers two bedroom, two bath options with a nice open living/Kitchen area. Also with the massive growth on 321 since I was there in 2009, it's pretty close to quite a bit of restaurants. Also is pretty close to State Farm Fields, where I used to run trails.

Regardless of where they land, transferring to App State from UNCC is always the right move.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm

https://app-mgt.com/prop/37/kingswood_c ... o_bedroom/

I lived here for four years. It is almost across the street from Dan'l Boone Inn. So its a really close walk to campus and its on king street aka you can walk home drunk. Safe street to walk on with lights everywhere and traffic going by at all hours, but I was never disturbed by the traffic living there. For the extra I had to pay in rent (900/2=450 for my friend and I each) I saved hundreds over the course of that time in gas and time. I could also walk to the games and walk home. The apple cart has a number of stops in that area so you can hop on almost any color route and go anywhere. The management was fine.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm

I lived here for four years. It is almost across the street from Dan'l Boone Inn. So its a really close walk to campus and its on king street aka you can walk home drunk. Safe street to walk on with lights everywhere and traffic going by at all hours, but I was never disturbed by the traffic living there. For the extra I had to pay in rent (900/2=450 for my friend and I each) I saved hundreds over the course of that time in gas and time. I could also walk to the games and walk home. The apple cart has a number of stops in that area so you can hop on almost any color route and go anywhere. The management was fine.
I'd second Kingswood if they're going the apartment route. I lived there during my senior year and my first year after graduation. If these guys are 21 they will love being walking distance from the bars.

My number one suggestion would be to watch craigslist like a hawk to find a house. It's a pain in the ass but I enjoyed the houses that I lived in much more than the apartments that I lived in. Rent was pretty reasonable, especially when compared to some of the newer complexes like the Standard and Cottages.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks to all of you for your help - I will pass it on ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm

appdaze wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:27 pm

I lived at the 'Hood for 2.5 years, really enjoyed my time there. I have no idea how they are now (upkeep wise - I was there 99-01), but parking was always an issue when I lived there. We only had 2 parking permits per apartment, and guests had to park in a gravel lot behind and across the street. It was super convenient, though. I walked to all my classes and football games, as well as the bars. Appalcart stopped there, but I never used it.
Give 'em hell!

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Can second that University Highlands comment.

Literally had the cops called on us twice. Not security, cops. Once was because the security guard said we were blaring our music too loud on a third floor apartment......said music was being played through laptop speakers....not a good laptop either, so literally no way anyone could hear that unless they were standing right outside the door. Either way, security guard came to the door, demanded our licenses and then wouldn't let us leave until the cops showed up and gave us all drinking tickets (I blew a 0.01 btw). I think the highest anyone blew there was a 0.07, so it's not like we were having a rager.

Another time there was no security guard involved at all to my knowledge unless they called, but I was watching a comedy show on tv, no extra surround sound, just tv speakers at a normal volume, and 2 cops showed up knocking on the door telling us that they had a report of us blaring music and having a party.

I also had a friend that lived there that got a trash ticket for having literally one bottle cap on their balcony.

I would never in a million years recommend that place.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Literally had the cops called on us twice. Not security, cops. Once was because the security guard said we were blaring our music too loud on a third floor apartment......said music was being played through laptop speakers....not a good laptop either, so literally no way anyone could hear that unless they were standing right outside the door. Either way, security guard came to the door, demanded our licenses and then wouldn't let us leave until the cops showed up and gave us all drinking tickets (I blew a 0.01 btw). I think the highest anyone blew there was a 0.07, so it's not like we were having a rager.

Another time there was no security guard involved at all to my knowledge unless they called, but I was watching a comedy show on tv, no extra surround sound, just tv speakers at a normal volume, and 2 cops showed up knocking on the door telling us that they had a report of us blaring music and having a party.

I also had a friend that lived there that got a trash ticket for having literally one bottle cap on their balcony.

Third that.

I'm pretty sure the last surviving members of the SS are the ones running the place. Yet another reason why I always preferred a house over an apartment complex.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:23 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Third that.

I'm pretty sure the last surviving members of the SS are the ones running the place. Yet another reason why I always preferred a house over an apartment complex.
I went inside my buddy’s apartment to pick up his part of a project and in 20 minutes my car had been towed. I vowed never to return to that prison camp.

I lived in Vineyard Apartments off of Green St (at the end of Kings) and campus is easily walked to or you can catch the AppalCart down on the corner. We had the center unit and never had to turn our heat on. It’s a 3 person unit, so you would have to find a roomie, but was a great apartment back in the early 00s. After that, every guy’s dream was to have a house with a yard in Boone, I lived in the dilapidated Brown House behind Lowe’s Foods on 105 that had a massive yard and a creek....it was awesome!

My wife lived at Wood Circle apartments and loved them, again, you would have to find roomies as they are 4 person apartments.
The Appalachian State

App74

Unread post by App74 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:47 pm
Ned,

I had two kids, four years apart that went to App back to back. It made sense for me to buy a property. It's a townhouse on the ridge up Junaluska behind the courthouse. It overlooks the campus. The property manager is Macy Howarth (828) 264-2227.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:23 pm
NO.2 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Third that.

I went inside my buddy’s apartment to pick up his part of a project and in 20 minutes my car had been towed. I vowed never to return to that prison camp.
I can't believe the other person was fine with Highlands, I have so many stories like you three have. My future wife lived there, along with other friends and all of them had such bad stories. My wife and her roommates had to pay some type of fine for having a jack-o-lantern outside the door; not lit or anything, just a carved pumpkin. Also got in trouble for too many snow boots outside once.

My car got towed from there twice, both times saying I had been there too long, which was a discussion Mr. Branch wasn't willing to entertain. The pool was monitored like a 6th grade dance too. UGHH, haha.

Village of Meadowview on the other hand, where I lived, was very chill and if anything swung too far in the opposite direction. I loved living there though and would highly recommend it

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:03 am

App74 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Ned,

I had two kids, four years apart that went to App back to back. It made sense for me to buy a property. It's a townhouse on the ridge up Junaluska behind the courthouse. It overlooks the campus. The property manager is Macy Howarth (828) 264-2227.
What kind of price range are we talking about?

App74

Unread post by App74 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am

appstate5 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:03 am
App74 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Ned,

What kind of price range are we talking about?
Three bedroom, 3-1/2 bath, deck, living room, about 2200 sq ft. Has a single garage. Not on the Appalcart route. Parking not an issue. Please call Macy and ask about Ridgeview Townhomes, Unit 233-A. She is showing it now for Fall/Spring 2020. The students in it now are graduating. Once they move out, I'm going to do some renovations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”