Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Covid-19 (CoronaVirus): NCAA Stepping In To "Help"

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Covid-19 (CoronaVirus): NCAA Stepping In To "Help"

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 am

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

moonshine

Re: Covid-19 (CoronaVirus): NCAA Stepping In To "Help"

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:53 am

With spring sports cancelled due to Covid, how will the NCAA handle eligibility for seniors? Do they grant waivers to Sr. and RS-Sr. who wish to play another season? If so, how does this impact scholarship limits? How do programs, not flush with cash, handle the potential financial burden of having additional scholarship-athletes for another year?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

moonshine

Re: Covid-19 (CoronaVirus): NCAA Stepping In To "Help"

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:21 am

Looks like coaches and players are already gearing up to fight it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-tourn ... 48893.html

"Auriemma explained, had been raised even before the NCAA went nuclear. “My feeling is this,” the Hall of Famer said. “It’s an unprecedented event. So you have to take unprecedented measures.

“You can’t say this year never happened, and wipe away everything,” he continued. “Because some teams had amazing seasons, incredible accomplishments, they should not be diminished, and shouldn’t be wiped away.

“In terms of each individual, I would be in favor of allowing all those that were seniors, that have not had a chance to compete, not had a chance to play their spring season, they should be given another opportunity to play. Regardless of what that does to your scholarship count. And the NCAA should foot the bill for that.”"

If NCAA agrees to the exemption and also pays for it, due to the extreme nature of the circumstance, do they only extend it to the Seniors or is this a 4 year rolling exemption to give Fr.-Jr. their year of eligibility back? There are a lot of variables to consider and calculate. I don't see a situation where App could afford such a move without assistance from the NCAA as we fall short of fully funding on an annual basis.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”