Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Extra year of eligibility for spring sports athletes vote

T-Dog

Extra year of eligibility for spring sports athletes vote

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Division 2 has approved an extra year of eligibility for ALL spring sports athletes

https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus-nc ... 03506.html
The move puts the onus on the administrators that run Division I athletics to make a similar move and Friday afternoon the NCAA announced that there will be a vote on March 30 by the Division I council regarding spring sports eligibility.

While there are more complications at the DI level — athletes at the top level of college athletics typically have more professional opportunities than those at lower levels — giving players an extra year of eligibility is the right thing to do in this current climate. While scholarship caps would have to be adjusted and other logistical hurdles would have to be cleared by schools, every spring sports senior deserves to have the option of coming back to school in 2020-21.
The talk had been just for seniors to be granted the extra year, but granting the extra year for everyone seems like the right move. Obviously, it's unknown how many players would actually take it as most spring sports athletes are on partial scholarships.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Extra year of eligibility for spring sports athletes vote

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Women’s Tennis is the only “head count” sport in the Spring.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I vote yes, if the athlete wants the extra year.
Bring Your A Game!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Women’s Tennis is the only “head count” sport in the Spring.
The only other question is if the scholarship limits will be suspended or adjusted temporarily since you'll still have freshmen incoming. That could mean a temporary bigger gap between the have's and have-not's in collegiate sports because as some schools might be apprehensive about having a bigger athletic scholarship bill, even for just one year.

I'm not sure how insurance would factor in to this, but I imagine it could. Someone who's more versed in it than I am can probably fill in some blanks.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 am

Can everyone get a do-over March-May, not just athletes?

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:51 am

This is honestly a great life lesson for these athletes. Sometimes life throws a wrench into your grand scheme (playing in a championship your senior year, for example) and you have to persevere. It doesn't affect me, but I hope the athletes that had their season outright canceled have an opportunity to play next year as graduate students.

The only concern is would they be on scholarship or not, even if it's partial. I can't imagine a lot of schools can afford to keep all the seniors and the incoming freshman on scholarship.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:33 am

There are so many more parts to this than just giving an extra year of eligibility. Not sure how it can work. it would be nice but an absolute logistical nightmare.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 am

App91 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:33 am
There are so many more parts to this than just giving an extra year of eligibility. Not sure how it can work. it would be nice but an absolute logistical nightmare.
There sure are! I tried to comment on this earlier. No matter how you try to accommodate this, someone is going to be negatively impacted. I really feel for the athletes and others who have lost opportunities. There just isn't an easy answer.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:30 am

To me, the simplest solution is to give Seniors the option to participate in their respective sport at the same level of grant in aid provided in 2019/2020 and not have it count towards the max allowed. Fortunately for us, it doesn’t appear that we have any Senior female tennis players this year that we would have to figure out how to pay for, in terms of full scholarships.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Why should a senior get different treatment than any other player on the team? Does the freshman not miss out on an entire season as well as the senior? It is a pandora's box that I think is best just left alone. I know that may seem harsh to many, but I just don't think we can give one group preferential treatment simply because it is their last year of eligibility. Look at it this way, all players that are on active rosters during this spring season will only have 3 seasons of actual game playing time, some lost their last season, some their first, and some their second and third season, but all of them lost a season. Giving only the seniors an additional year is unfair to everyone else.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:21 pm
Why should a senior get different treatment than any other player on the team? Does the freshman not miss out on an entire season as well as the senior? It is a pandora's box that I think is best just left alone. I know that may seem harsh to many, but I just don't think we can give one group preferential treatment simply because it is their last year of eligibility. Look at it this way, all players that are on active rosters during this spring season will only have 3 seasons of actual game playing time, some lost their last season, some their first, and some their second and third season, but all of them lost a season. Giving only the seniors an additional year is unfair to everyone else.
I tend to agree. It does seem harsh but extending eligibility simply pushes the problem to a different group. This year's seniors still have a draft (baseball) and everyone is on equal footing. If eligibility is extended and the seniors get another year the there are Juniors or underclassmen who have waiting for their opportunity but won't get it. It also puts a financial burden on the universities and programs are going to be hurt as it is.

This is probably not a HUGE deal for spring sports, but if football winds up being impacted it will be a MONSTER!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”