Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCS-AAPT

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

NCS-AAPT

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm

I found out today that I was elected as Vice-President of the North Carolina Section-American Association of Physics Teachers. I serve a year as V-P, then move into the President-Elect role, then I become President, and finally finish off the cycle as Past President. In the last decade there has been at least two App alumni and one staff member to work their way through this process. Needless to say, given the number of universities and colleges and even high schools in the state having three Mountaineers in such a short amount of time is way more than our fair share. Not that that would surprise anyone on this message board as we all know Mountaineers are quality people.

I think I am the first high school teacher to hold this position that leads to the state President.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Re: NCS-AAPT

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:58 pm

Congratulations!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:47 pm

Wow, that’s an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 pm

VNova wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:47 pm
Wow, that’s an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!
Now that I made that big announcement in the post above I will have to admit it is an honor. But I will also admit that there are not tons of people vying for the position any given year. Still excited for the honor.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:57 am

Congratulations! That is an amazing honor and I am confident that you will do a great job in all three positions over the next few years. Thank you for sharing this with us and again congratulations!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:57 am

Hell Yes my friend - High school teachers like you make a difference in young peoples lives - I am sure this honor is well deserved :star :star :star :star
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:14 am

Congratulations! You have every right to be proud of that. I have no doubt you will serve honorably and represent App well.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:36 am

Congratulations!!! Much respect for your career choice.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm
I found out today that I was elected as Vice-President of the North Carolina Section-American Association of Physics Teachers. I serve a year as V-P, then move into the President-Elect role, then I become President, and finally finish off the cycle as Past President. In the last decade there has been at least two App alumni and one staff member to work their way through this process. Needless to say, given the number of universities and colleges and even high schools in the state having three Mountaineers in such a short amount of time is way more than our fair share. Not that that would surprise anyone on this message board as we all know Mountaineers are quality people.

I think I am the first high school teacher to hold this position that leads to the state President.
I was just on a call with Dr. Clements yesterday..... Sid is a very bright and very loving man. App Physics rocks. I'm considering getting an old man undergrad just to have a better understanding of electrical theory. Congrats!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:06 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:43 am

I was just on a call with Dr. Clements yesterday..... Sid is a very bright and very loving man. App Physics rocks. I'm considering getting an old man undergrad just to have a better understanding of electrical theory. Congrats!
I had Dr. Clements for digital electronics. He is a very nice man. I believe he has a daughter that teaches high school science as well.

If you get a better understanding of electrical theory then please teach me. That stuff is hard. I understand it enough for AP level and regular high school but beyond that I start to mumble and walk away quickly when asked a question. :-)

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Congrats, McLAF...

I spent a significant portion of my career looking up and down the east coast to recruit and sign outstanding teacher candidates and fine, experienced teachers like you've obviously turned out to be. Did you do the job fair "thing" as a junior/senior or did you take an "inside track" to Guilford County? Gerald Adams (our esteemed and honorably remembered Mr. Yosef) and I used to roam on recruiting trips together when he was an associate supt. for HR Services) in Pittsylvania County, VA and I had the same responsibilities in Wilkes. As you might imagine, our "fav" recruiting location was the campus of our dear 'ol' App! No contest!

We would have greatly enjoyed competing for your signature! Kudos again!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Congrats, McLAF...

I spent a significant portion of my career looking up and down the east coast to recruit and sign outstanding teacher candidates and fine, experienced teachers like you've obviously turned out to be. Did you do the job fair "thing" as a junior/senior or did you take an "inside track" to Guilford County? Gerald Adams (our esteemed and honorably remembered Mr. Yosef) and I used to roam on recruiting trips together when he was an associate supt. for HR Services) in Pittsylvania County, VA and I had the same responsibilities in Wilkes. As you might imagine, our "fav" recruiting location was the campus of our dear 'ol' App! No contest!

We would have greatly enjoyed competing for your signature! Kudos again!
I did indeed take advantage of the careers fairs. Though I landed my first job while I was student teaching at Newton-Conover High. Dr. Mamola was doing his last visit before was finishing up (he did two observations to make sure they could make sure I am not a complete idiot with science knowledge and he made a passing remark about a principal contacting the department about needing a physics teacher. It turned out to be at AL Brown in Kannapolis. I interviewed and was hired. Later the principal told me he had called every university in the state and I was the only one graduating in North Carolina that year either fall or the coming spring with a degree in physics-secondary ed. I moved to Guilford County as my future wife was teaching chemistry in Forsyth and I figured it would be easier for me to find a new position in those two counties than having her move towards me.

Physics teachers don't seem to move around too much so there are also not a lot of positions either. My job leaving Kannapolis was at Thomasville High teaching Alg IA and Earth Sci, and that was after being turned down at Western Rowan or West Davidson are something in the area with Western in the name. I don't even remember the exact name. The position I had for 23 years opened up while I was on my honeymoon. I gave Thomasville a 30 day notice. They were not happy but I was not wasting my degree on Alg IA if I had a chance to teach physics.

I still have about 4 years before I get my 30 years in now and I am not sure if I will retire then or not. I will have some college loans to take care of still for our oldest daughter and I would like to help out our twins as well, though they have not needed as much parental loans so far. I am actually not teaching a ton of physics right now, but I am teaching some each year, and I never will have lots of physics at my current school but there are other positives that go beyond my need for teaching physics, which is a big difference from when I started.

Thank you for the kind words also.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”