Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Five FBS conferences, including AAC and C-USA, ask NCAA to relax Division I requirements

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

Five FBS conferences, including AAC and C-USA, ask NCAA to relax Division I requirements

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: Five FBS conferences, including AAC and C-USA, ask NCAA to relax Division I requirements

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49 am
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29037022/five-fbs-conferences-including-aac-c-usa-ask-ncaa-relax-division-requirements
What this really will come to in the end...

"Five major football conference commissioners have asked the NCAA to relax requirements to compete in Division I for four years ever, including the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor."
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Yosef84

Re: Five FBS conferences, including AAC and C-USA, ask NCAA to relax Division I requirements

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:21 am

I don't think the waiver will be extended indefinitely but I do think that a temporary waiver will provide a time period during which some decisions will have to be made by many programs, including elimination of sports, reduction in salaries and yes....moving programs back to FCS. If the G5 were to request an indefinite waiver, it would be a de facto split and the creation of a "new" I-AA/FCS.

The waiver (if granted) would allow this process to happen in an orderly basis (hopefully).

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 am

And here comes the power 5 break away...

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:59 am

Let's play football in the fall.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 am

Are they equating Division I with FBS only???? Sounds like it.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 pm

sounds like a wise solution given the financial situation.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Schools like App and other mid major types have just been asking for financial trouble with these crazy all over the country conferences. We simply won’t be able to fly the volleyball team out to Texas, Arkansas or even Louisiana. Do any of the women’s basketball games make any significant gate revenue? Many of the men’s games are bad enough.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:34 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm
Schools like App and other mid major types have just been asking for financial trouble with these crazy all over the country conferences. We simply won’t be able to fly the volleyball team out to Texas, Arkansas or even Louisiana. Do any of the women’s basketball games make any significant gate revenue? Many of the men’s games are bad enough.
We should all agree that now is the time to reform into conferences that make sense. Helps with budgets, lost class time, creates more interest, etc. Now is the time for the NCAA to remove any barriers concerning NCAA tournament bids and let us reform in conferences that make sense.

Also, as much as I feel for the kids playing the sports, do you think anyone would really miss our Men's tennis and golf teams? Heck, we haven't had more than one home track meet in Boone in years. I don't think they would be missed by anyone other than the participants. Same could be said to a lesser degree about soccer. I would rather the sports people actually care about be left untouched by budget cuts and let some of these minor sports be dropped to save money. We all know the challenges of playing tennis and golf in the high country in the Spring.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am

TractorApp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:34 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm
We should all agree that now is the time to reform into conferences that make sense. Helps with budgets, lost class time, creates more interest, etc. Now is the time for the NCAA to remove any barriers concerning NCAA tournament bids and let us reform in conferences that make sense.

Also, as much as I feel for the kids playing the sports, do you think anyone would really miss our Men's tennis and golf teams? Heck, we haven't had more than one home track meet in Boone in years. I don't think they would be missed by anyone other than the participants. Same could be said to a lesser degree about soccer. I would rather the sports people actually care about be left untouched by budget cuts and let some of these minor sports be dropped to save money. We all know the challenges of playing tennis and golf in the high country in the Spring.
Reality

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:44 am

It’s time for a comprehensive league plan “we’re all dropping to 6 sports. 3 men 3 women.” With an expressed plan on when to start bringing them back online one by one. It sucks. Some schools would have to wait a while to get sports back that they were previously good at. But the focus needs to be on revenue not emotion.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:01 pm

I think sports are too important to drop them just because nobody comes to watch. There are lessons of discipline, planning, structure and teamwork. Right now I wish our political class had been exposed to some of these lessons. Limiting sports is bad for the long term, but financial realities are what they are for the short term.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm

That’s an emotional response, not a fiscal one. Is a lesson in discipline worth bankrupting your entire athletic department?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm
That’s an emotional response, not a fiscal one. Is a lesson in discipline worth bankrupting your entire athletic department?
It's intended as an education based response more than emotion. College is more than classroom development. Some of the best lessons I learned in college didn't come from the classroom. (throw a "yeah they didn't" in there if you want). It's part of college, developing the individual and on a higher level, developing society.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:05 am

This is fiscal response: Wake Forest AD Currie with a financial perspective on cutting a sport program, "It also is interesting, though, because many of our sports … they’re partial scholarship sports. Many of our sports and many of our student-athletes are either full payers themselves or they’re partial scholarship recipients. In fact, student-athletes at Wake Forest outside of the aid they receive, are paying about $10 million annually to the university for some or all of their tuition cost. Just dropping a sport doesn’t necessarily create a net revenue savings for a school."
Bring Your A Game!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:08 am

Dropping a sport does not mean those students are going to stay enrolled at APP.
Bring Your A Game!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm
It's intended as an education based response more than emotion. College is more than classroom development. Some of the best lessons I learned in college didn't come from the classroom. (throw a "yeah they didn't" in there if you want). It's part of college, developing the individual and on a higher level, developing society.
Interesting thought and i do not necessarily disagree. Friend of mine from england mentioned that colleges in the UK do not have the same pull on Alumni to come back to campus and donate $$ because they do not sponsor sports teams. Sometimes you cannot afford the vehicle that drives revenue generation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”