Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Visiting Boone

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Visiting Boone

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:35 am

I planned to head to the QC the week of the 4th. Although it's out of the way, I've decided I miss Boone so much that I want to take exit 73 and head West on 421. Taking my three kids, and I planned to walk around campus as well as take them to Moses Cone. We will probably look to have an early dinner there, and I was wondering if anyone could share with me how strict the COVID rules are in Boone? I'm cool with eating outside if the weather is nice, but in the event it's not what places if any are allowing patrons to eat indoors. Do I have to wear a mask just to go into a convenience store? Any insight would be helpful.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ArmantiWaterSafety

Re: Visiting Boone

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am

Not sure about Boone specifically, but while in Blowing rock, stores were limiting the number of people in establishments.
Instead, they wait in large groups outside of the doors while impeding foot traffic. Get anywhere you want to go well before peak times. The mast store in Valle crucis had 20 to 30 people standing around outside waiting to enter last weekend.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am
https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/bo ... 5967f.html

Take that for what it's worth.
"Violation of the restriction would be punishable by an infraction, but police would be directed to first educate upon the first offense, and then give a warning before citing someone with an infraction." This means that the police department will be required to keep a database of offenders. Do we really have enough officers to go around enforcing this as opposed to doing their regular duties?

"Hicks, LaPlaca and Ulmer expressed varying concerns about how the restriction would be enforced by police. Hicks suggested that the council spend more time discussing the responsibilities of officers and their methods for enforcing the restriction." Suggesting the council spend more time discussing the responsibilities of officers and methods of enforcing? Let's handcuff them some more.

"Masks have been shown to be effective in reducing the transmission of the virus, and we should take this small step to try to protect the employees in Boone businesses, Boone residents and our visitors." There are many studies out there and many are suggesting that masks are not the "end all be all."
Last edited by ASU84 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

apps32

Unread post by apps32 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:17 am

My family and I were in Boone last Thursday. Other than a few people wearing masks and some signs on doors with capacity limits posted, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:10 pm

I was in Boone last weekend. Comeback's drive through is open and they have more picnic tables than normal (it's a popular idea though, so maybe go at an odd hour). Portofino, Lillies, and tApp Room have patio food service. tApp/Lillies did a great job sanitizing and maintaining social distancing while still providing a virtually normal eating/drinking experience. I didn't really explore food spots outside of that, but I did see that lots of others are offering indoor dining.

Most people were wearing masks indoors from what I observed. About 60:40. You and your family should do the same for the safety of yourselves and others, irrespective of whether Boone can enforce their new mask rule. It's the right thing to do.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

ASU84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am

"Masks have been shown to be effective in reducing the transmission of the virus, and we should take this small step to try to protect the employees in Boone businesses, Boone residents and our visitors." There are many studies out there and many are suggesting that masks are not the "end all be all."
Masks may not be the "end all be all" but they go a long way in helping stop the spread of Covid. Just wear a mask--it is not a hard thing to do and except for some very small percentage with extreme health issues it is not going to cause a problem. And if someone is in the small percentage with health problems so they can't wear a mask then maybe they should not be out at all for any reason short of an emergency.

Also I would like to see these peer-reviews studies that are down-playing mask wearing. Wearing a mask is like a seat belt in a car. A seat belt in not 100% effective but with other SRS AND driving a reasonable speed you will walk away from a wreck still alive at a much higher rate, much higher. Wearing a mask is not the ONLY thing to do. Washing your hands is also a big part of stopping the spread, but wearing a mask does help out OTHERS, and is that such a bad thing? I would suggest thinking of others is not a bad thing and should be considered a good thing to do.

Have fun in Boone.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:01 pm

It's like a condom for your face.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm

mike87 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:01 pm
What's a condom?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStMike201

Unread post by AppStMike201 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:36 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm
mike87 wrote:
What's a condom?
I had to laugh at this question after reading you have 3 kids. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just thought your humor was spot on!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:13 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm
ASU84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am

Masks may not be the "end all be all" but they go a long way in helping stop the spread of Covid. Just wear a mask--it is not a hard thing to do and except for some very small percentage with extreme health issues it is not going to cause a problem. And if someone is in the small percentage with health problems so they can't wear a mask then maybe they should not be out at all for any reason short of an emergency.

Also I would like to see these peer-reviews studies that are down-playing mask wearing. Wearing a mask is like a seat belt in a car. A seat belt in not 100% effective but with other SRS AND driving a reasonable speed you will walk away from a wreck still alive at a much higher rate, much higher. Wearing a mask is not the ONLY thing to do. Washing your hands is also a big part of stopping the spread, but wearing a mask does help out OTHERS, and is that such a bad thing? I would suggest thinking of others is not a bad thing and should be considered a good thing to do.

Have fun in Boone.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm
mike87 wrote:
What's a condom?
I liked this this because I have a friend that doesn’t know what a condom is either and it’s been a running joke since his first child was born.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”