Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App BoT approves renaming Hoey, Lovill dorms

T-Dog

App BoT approves renaming Hoey, Lovill dorms

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 pm

The process has been two years in the making, according to the article.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/ap ... bad73.html

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: App BoT approves renaming Hoey, Lovill dorms

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 pm

I’m fine with this. Would be neat to start naming the campus buildings after locally native trees/animals or something like that. Hell we name the different holes at The Masters after different flowers.
YNWA

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 am

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 pm
I’m fine with this. Would be neat to start naming the campus buildings after locally native trees/animals or something like that. Hell we name the different holes at The Masters after different flowers.
Holes at the masters are named for plants because the property was a nursery before it was a golf course and the holes are named for a prominent species featured on the hole.
Give 'em hell!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:38 am

I like Moonshine Manor

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:23 am

My vote is for Hillbilly Hideout. It’s next to Moonshine Manor. ;)

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:46 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:50 am
ah59396 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 pm
Holes at the masters are named for plants because the property was a nursery before it was a golf course and the holes are named for a prominent species featured on the hole.
That’s really cool. I didn’t know that.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:18 pm

So when they tear down Justice and rebuild it, will it be called, "Reformed Justice" or "Justice Reformed"?

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm

No Justice, No Peace.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:40 pm

Speaking of naming/renaming buildings: I'd like to see something in the stadium complex give recognition to Coach Jim Brakefield. He was the coach who took us from NAIA to the NCAA Division 1, starting as an independent in 1971. After that we joined the SoCon. He retired in 1979 and died in 2002. Maybe the offensive meeting room named after him since his wishbone offense lit up the stats in the the 70's. Just tossing an idea out there.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:18 pm

I like the Breakfield idea

I lived in Gardner and felt uncomfortable after an evening at the Library Club. I was also uncomfortable Edgers. I’m starting a petition.

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

I may be the outlier here, but I’m personally not a fan of changing buildings names regularly. I understand progressing and updating, but foundational places are just that...foundational.

Living close to Penn State now, it’s neat when alumni from years ago are discussing the EXACT SAME building with current students. “I lived in XYZ in 76’...”

Unfortunately we won’t be able to do that. I’m all for changes as we build new buildings and grow, but some parts are best left alone. Call me an old geezer, but just my 2 cents.
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 pm

PhillyApp wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm
I may be the outlier here, but I’m personally not a fan of changing buildings names regularly. I understand progressing and updating, but foundational places are just that...foundational.

Living close to Penn State now, it’s neat when alumni from years ago are discussing the EXACT SAME building with current students. “I lived in XYZ in 76’...”

Unfortunately we won’t be able to do that. I’m all for changes as we build new buildings and grow, but some parts are best left alone. Call me an old geezer, but just my 2 cents.
I’m with you on that

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 pm

PhillyApp wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Same here, PhillyApp.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Name changing seems to be trend in our current environment and I don't care for it. If the schools had to give back all the $$ these folks have given through the years when they take their name off a building, might make some of these political decisions a little tougher!

GO APPS!

Scipio
School: USC

Unread post by Scipio » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm

When you start renaming buildings and tearing down statues you are participating in a form of modern day book burning. Welcome to Salem witch trials Boone style. Who is to say some future generation wants to change the name of today's building or tear down a statue because something in their lives isn't cool to the new generation. What if smoking becomes so anti social that any former smoker must have their name removed from a building or their statue torn down. It seems to me the people these buildings were named for did much to establish App St. What does it matter that they stood for something that today is considered outside the pale. Did App St ask these people to sign an affidavit that there was nothing in their past that would fall out of favor in a generation 50 years or more later before taking their money and/or influence? One thing about society, it changes. So is every person's reputation to be tarnished because of some future societal change? If so, the world's history will be full of nothing but fallen heroes, and no one to point to who helped others succeed. Let's just rewrite history, and say we just won't discuss the bad stuff. Well, eventually everything will be the "bad stuff", and you will have no history (tainted or otherwise) and you soon will have no culture. Such specious speculations and sophomoric reasoning is this renaming fad.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 pm

I see the Nike Air Monarch crew has arrived.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 pm

Scipio wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm
When you start renaming buildings and tearing down statues you are participating in a form of modern day book burning. Welcome to Salem witch trials Boone style. Who is to say some future generation wants to change the name of today's building or tear down a statue because something in their lives isn't cool to the new generation. What if smoking becomes so anti social that any former smoker must have their name removed from a building or their statue torn down. It seems to me the people these buildings were named for did much to establish App St. What does it matter that they stood for something that today is considered outside the pale. Did App St ask these people to sign an affidavit that there was nothing in their past that would fall out of favor in a generation 50 years or more later before taking their money and/or influence? One thing about society, it changes. So is every person's reputation to be tarnished because of some future societal change? If so, the world's history will be full of nothing but fallen heroes, and no one to point to who helped others succeed. Let's just rewrite history, and say we just won't discuss the bad stuff. Well, eventually everything will be the "bad stuff", and you will have no history (tainted or otherwise) and you soon will have no culture. Such specious speculations and sophomoric reasoning is this renaming fad.
You didn’t have to go to USC for that.....Bubba and Billy Boy coulda edumacated you....

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:03 am

I understand that some have attachments to the names of these dorms. I'm not in favor of "regular" changing of building names either but these proposals aren't random changes. The names (histories behind those names) offend a part of our population. People fall at different places along the spectrum of whether they understand or agree with that "offense." My point is that this is a peaceful process by which an issue is being vetted and it is being met with dismissive attitudes, scorn and mocking. I understand that some of the posts are for humor and that I don't believe any are maliciously intended. However, this is representative of the efforts for peaceful change over the past few decades. When these peaceful efforts consistently receive dismissal, score and mocking, we wind up with groups pulling down statues. Human nature is that, when ignored, issues will ultimately escalate. Again...I'm not condoning vandalism and certainly not violence, but maybe it's time that society actually begins to listen with an open mind. The Civil Rights movement didn't "fix" everything. It was a good start but we need to be more open and responsive when issues are raised.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:25 am

They got rid of the track and now this...

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:37 am

The stories I could share from my time in Justice have nothing to do with the name of the building.

Raley or Peacock lot, I'm still getting sauced and playing corn hole.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”