Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App BoT approves renaming Hoey, Lovill dorms

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: App BoT approves renaming Hoey, Lovill dorms

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:49 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 am
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:18 am

We should rename one Cline Dormitory
App State already has some buildings named after Cline actually.
Porta Johns don’t count.
The visitor center at Dark Sky Observatory is named after a different "Cline" actually. The Cline at DSO is the same Cline that has his name on the observatory at Guilford College, GTCC, and put up a ton of money for PARI.
Interesting, I grew up a mile from Guilford College, went to Guilford College UMC with two Cline’s, both of whom went to App.
From what I know Don Cline owned an electronics firm that was sold to ATT and he made 10s of millions of dollars. Maybe closer to 100 million. He and his deceased wife Jo, gave money to a lot of astronomy things and I am not sure how he got connected with Dr. Caton and App State but he gave some money for the visitor center and then gave even more to get it finished. Their were some building code concerns and from what I heard the final donation was something like, "What do you need to finish this off?" and he wrote the check.

His wife passed away 4 or 5 years ago. He attends the Greensboro Astronomy Club meeting every now and then, usually when he is bringing in guest speakers to GTCC which happens twice a year. The last time both he and his wife were at a meeting before she passed away the visitor center had only been finished for a bit. I made sure to talk with them for a minute and thank them for the gift to App State. If you have never been to DSO then please do so when it opens back up. It should be a point of pride for any App State supporter. (They are doing online sessions now.)

He also spent a ton of money on a land swap to get his hands on the old radar station near Asheville and turn it into a radio astronomy research facility. (www.pari.edu). He and his wife never had children so I assume the vast majority of his money will pass to PARI for its continuing mission.

He is going to be the guest speaker for the Gboro Astro Club in August, and it will likely be online. I can send a link if you are interested
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm
Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:24 pm
'75App wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:05 pm
Name changing seems to be trend in our current environment and I don't care for it. If the schools had to give back all the $$ these folks have given through the years when they take their name off a building, might make some of these political decisions a little tougher!

GO APPS!
I couldn't agree more 75APP. History is not to be judged on the feelings of the time. The White house was built by slaves, General Lee didn't have any slaves(in the times of states pride would not except the offer the lead the Union army against fellow Virginians) Mary Todd Lincolns father was slave owner). If you dig hard enough into those broken times, ANY figure can be found to have dirty hands. But positive actions should be celebrated. Hoey had done some good for the African American community "a historically black university, Hoey secured state funding for the institution. N.C. Central".. I seriously doubt the amount of money the son of the man below would ever be given back by the state of NC. And I have fond memories live in Cone Hall. We should learn the mistakes of history (not celebrate the stupidity of the young country) but learn from our broken past together.

The Cone saga threads through American history. Among the first Jewish emigrants to settle—and thrive—in Jonesborough, the family, unlike most East Tennesseans, stood with the Confederacy. During the Civil War, the Cones closed their store and bought farms and three enslaved workers to cultivate their acreage. After the war, Herman Cone pledged loyalty to the United States. To reestablish his retail business, he added a Unionist partner.
General Lee was a traitor. Just because he didn't own slaves doesn't make his decision to join the treasonous CSA any better. The deeper you read into each states Declaration of Succession, you will see that the reasons for them leaving were heavily geared towards slavery, including the north's lack of enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. I'm sorry but he along with other CSA generals made that choice. Why celebrate someone that attempted to tear this great country apart...and...wait for it.... lost?

General Ulysses S Grant owned a slave.
And wait for it............ Won and became President.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm

NewApp wrote:
Woodstovegang wrote:
'75App wrote:
Name changing seems to be trend in our current environment and I don't care for it. If the schools had to give back all the $$ these folks have given through the years when they take their name off a building, might make some of these political decisions a little tougher!

GO APPS!
I couldn't agree more 75APP. History is not to be judged on the feelings of the time. The White house was built by slaves, General Lee didn't have any slaves(in the times of states pride would not except the offer the lead the Union army against fellow Virginians) Mary Todd Lincolns father was slave owner). If you dig hard enough into those broken times, ANY figure can be found to have dirty hands. But positive actions should be celebrated. Hoey had done some good for the African American community "a historically black university, Hoey secured state funding for the institution. N.C. Central".. I seriously doubt the amount of money the son of the man below would ever be given back by the state of NC. And I have fond memories live in Cone Hall. We should learn the mistakes of history (not celebrate the stupidity of the young country) but learn from our broken past together.

The Cone saga threads through American history. Among the first Jewish emigrants to settle—and thrive—in Jonesborough, the family, unlike most East Tennesseans, stood with the Confederacy. During the Civil War, the Cones closed their store and bought farms and three enslaved workers to cultivate their acreage. After the war, Herman Cone pledged loyalty to the United States. To reestablish his retail business, he added a Unionist partner.
General Lee was a traitor. Just because he didn't own slaves doesn't make his decision to join the treasonous CSA any better. The deeper you read into each states Declaration of Succession, you will see that the reasons for them leaving were heavily geared towards slavery, including the north's lack of enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. I'm sorry but he along with other CSA generals made that choice. Why celebrate someone that attempted to tear this great country apart...and...wait for it.... lost?

He freed William Jones in 1859 and Grant had evolving views of slavery and how he felt it was a stain on our country. Nonetheless, he fought for the Union, you know the good guys. Also served two terms and as a consolidation prize (my words not his) to the south assisted with the Reconstruction Era.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm
NewApp wrote:
Woodstovegang wrote:
'75App wrote:

GO APPS!

That's correct. Extra scoop of ice cream for you. With your defense of the CSA, you won't be celebrating with me on the 4th, no?

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm

I don't defend the CSA. I just learn from history(especially the bad). I supposed "Appstategrad09" will be setting off dynamite at Mount Rushmore for the 4th. When does it stop Lets all start burning books and find our safe space

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 am
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:18 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 am

See that’s not funny if if you are kidding.
We should rename one Cline Dormitory
App State already has some buildings named after Cline actually.
Porta Johns don’t count.
The visitor center at Dark Sky Observatory is named after a different "Cline" actually. The Cline at DSO is the same Cline that has his name on the observatory at Guilford College, GTCC, and put up a ton of money for PARI.
Im very good friends with a different Cline whose family has given a great deal to App, though not in the Cline name, nor is their family name actually on any buildings (though not for a lack of funding-they just don’t want it on there). I guess every surname has that preverbal black sheep 😂
Give 'em hell!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm
I don't defend the CSA. I just learn from history(especially the bad). I supposed "Appstategrad09" will be setting off dynamite at Mount Rushmore for the 4th. When does it stop Lets all start burning books and find our safe space
Nope...I will be drinking PBR, chilling and grilling.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:07 pm

If Lee was a traitor then Washington,Jefferson , Hancock and Franklin...as well as my ancestors that fought at Moore’s Ferry ,The Cowpens and Kings Mountain were as well. They each rebelled and pledged allegiance to a new nation , one formed out of another. They each , no doubt, had their own reasons.I choose not to stand in judgement however as I am not without sin myself.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm
Woodstovegang wrote:
Sorry don't drink beer. Just consume all history not just the little I like, nor the little I do. Assuming your a history vegetarian. Please stop while your behind, I'm in my safe space.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm

This is the problems in US today.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm

I love history, and have studied it for most of my life. I have four great-great-granddad’s that were Confederate soldiers I hold no animosity against any of them. I’m sure they did what they felt they needed to do for their families. However, it’s been approximately 155 years and I wish we would quit fighting and defending that damn war. The south lost. Maybe then America might be great again when we treat everyone the same as we want to be treated ourselves

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm

eggers76 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm
I love history, and have studied it for most of my life. I have four great-great-granddad’s that were Confederate soldiers I hold no animosity against any of them. I’m sure they did what they felt they needed to do for their families. However, it’s been approximately 155 years and I wish we would quit fighting and defending that damn war. The south lost. Maybe then America might be great again when we treat everyone the same as we want to be treated ourselves
Ditto

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm
eggers76 wrote:
Ditto
The South indeed lost the war, but there were more Union Soldiers killed than Confederates.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:33 pm
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm
Woodstovegang wrote:
Sorry don't drink beer. Just consume all history not just the little I like, nor the little I do. Assuming your a history vegetarian. Please stop while your behind, I'm in my safe space.
Your Confederate Catechism history lessons don't count.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 am

Woodstovegang wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Woodstovegang wrote:
'75App wrote:

GO APPS!

False. Grants father was a strict abolitionist and Grant married into a family that owned slaves. His father didn’t come to his wedding because of it.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 am

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm
NewApp wrote:
Woodstovegang wrote:
'75App wrote:

GO APPS!

He freed William Jones in 1859 and Grant had evolving views of slavery and how he felt it was a stain on our country. Nonetheless, he fought for the Union, you know the good guys. Also served two terms and as a consolidation prize (my words not his) to the south assisted with the Reconstruction Era.
I believe Grant “inherited” his slave?

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

"Inherited" doesn't lesson the dirt under the nails of history. The last post I make on this.....

Sally Hemings came to Jefferson's home as an infant with her siblings and her mother, Betty, as part of his wife Martha's inheritance of enslaved people from her father, John Wayles. Hemings was the youngest of six children that Betty Hemings is believed to have had with Wayles. If true, she was three-quarters European and a half-sister of Martha Jefferson.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am

Woodstovegang wrote:

This is the problems in US today.
Thank you sir for saying it like it is.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 am

Woodstovegang wrote:
NewApp wrote:

And he does not deserve a statue in my view then. No person that owned another person as property deserves positive memorials to their memory. Nor does someone like Carnegie that had strikers shot and murdered. Nor do war profiteers.

It was wrong then. It was wrong to put the statues up. It was wrong for them to not come down in earlier generations.

It was wrong to elect Grant as President as far as I am concerned, . We can't undo the history but we need not honor it and glorify it either.

Previous generations has the responsibility to keep the world in a place that is worth living in for future generations (and that includes us with the environmental mess we have got to deal with) but we have no responsibility to honor the past if it is not worth honoring.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”