Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Students attending from a private school

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Students attending from a private school

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm

I took a 3 year break from public schools while I worked at Greensboro Day School starting 5 years ago. I either had to attend or have tried to attend the last 5 graduation ceremonies and will likely do one more next year as I taught those graduating students as well.

I think each year UNC-CH and or NCSU have been the top two schools the graduates head off to after graduation. This year and I think every other year that I was connected to the school App State was the 3rd most popular choice.

This school has most students paying full fare to GDS (around $23,000 a year the last time I looked) with only around 15% getting scholarships I think. There are lots of doctors and lawyers that are multi-generational college graduating families. Most years the school was sending students to one of the Ivies as well. For App to compete so well is a plus I think. Also I hope the Appalachian Foundation is connecting with these families. Many families are very wealthy and most are wealthy. If they have money for GDS tuition then they have some money to give to App State as well I would think.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Re: Students attending from a private school

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Same at Charlotte Catholic. App had a couple down years but is generally 3rd or forth behind State UNC and USC. Our admissions dept doesnt seem to do as good a job as some others...........

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm

A friend of mine's son graduated this year and his college choices were down to Chapel Hill and APP - he chose APP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 pm
Same at Charlotte Catholic. App had a couple down years but is generally 3rd or forth behind State UNC and USC. Our admissions dept doesnt seem to do as good a job as some others...........
I would suggest we are doing pretty good if we are 3rd behind much larger schools and schools with a lot of legacy generations in the population such as GDS has.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 pm
A friend of mine's son graduated this year and his college choices were down to Chapel Hill and APP - he chose APP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you know what he is going to study?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:05 pm

I believe he told me finance
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:10 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm
I took a 3 year break from public schools while I worked at Greensboro Day School starting 5 years ago. I either had to attend or have tried to attend the last 5 graduation ceremonies and will likely do one more next year as I taught those graduating students as well.

I think each year UNC-CH and or NCSU have been the top two schools the graduates head off to after graduation. This year and I think every other year that I was connected to the school App State was the 3rd most popular choice.

This school has most students paying full fare to GDS (around $23,000 a year the last time I looked) with only around 15% getting scholarships I think. There are lots of doctors and lawyers that are multi-generational college graduating families. Most years the school was sending students to one of the Ivies as well. For App to compete so well is a plus I think. Also I hope the Appalachian Foundation is connecting with these families. Many families are very wealthy and most are wealthy. If they have money for GDS tuition then they have some money to give to App State as well I would think.
Greensboro Day? I graduated from Bishop McGuinness in the time before Bishop moved to NCHSAA when we were big rivals with GDS. My proudest moment in my pathetic high school basketball career was, as a senior, actually stealing the ball from GDS's 8th grade star Jason Capel one time, during Jeff Sr's time as coach at A&T. GDS Coach Freddie Johnson was an institution in Triad basketball in those days.

As to your original question, it was decades ago but I seem to recall App usually being about 3rd behind UNC and NCSU amongst the students in my day at an NC private school.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 pm

As far as I know Freddy is still there. I assume the Greensboro paper will do a large article on him when he retires.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:40 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:35 pm
As far as I know Freddy is still there. I assume the Greensboro paper will do a large article on him when he retires.
That's something. I haven't followed Triad HS sports since starting at App, but that doesn't suprise, as I said he was an institution.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”