Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Everts vote of confidence

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Everts vote of confidence

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 pm

“Trauma and violence “ ? You have to be able to back that up.
Last edited by Stonewall on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I discovered the article and the related poll yesterday. I wanted to get educated on the topic as I have not followed this topic other than when I attended the university that diversity numbers appeared low. There was an article in The Appalachian related to this item. I sent an email to see if I can get more information. In reading the excerpt below from cover letter, I was really concerned about the references to "lies and deceptive language" as well as certain programs being "rolled back". Trust is a very big foundation for me and was very concerned if there has been dishonesty by our administration. If you do not have trust, there is no foundation for a working relationship. I inquired of the editor of The Appalachian to see if someone could provide examples of "lies and deceptive language" as well as certain items that had been "rolled back". This was not to question the assertions in the letter, but, to get more information. The editor kindly responded that she referred me to the SGA's Director of Diversity (copied on the editor's reply). I have not received a response as of yet.

Excerpt from Cover Letter:
Throughout the last several weeks, statements from the Chancellor’s office have been comprised of lies and deceptive language that disrespect the Black students that have fought for change and have been directly ignored by the current and past administrations. This disrespect also encompasses the policies that were implemented by Black students and supportive staff and faculty over the last decade that have been rolled back.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:32 pm

I would not give in to threats from anybody or any group. There are better ways to proceed. Ultimatums rarely work out well.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm

I think there were legitimate gripes a while back with App failing to appeal to and serve a broader socioeconomic demographic.

When you push the outdoors, skiing, hiking and camping in your marketing and advertising materials, it has a narrow appeal. Also, app has never been easily access able to student from less Privileged economic backgrounds in the long run. It’s inaccessible to most of NC without a personal vehicle unless you take the bus from Greensboro or hitch a ride or have a parent come pick you up whenever you want to go home. There is no guarantee of long term on campus housing so you’re on you own more often than not by your junior year and transfer students have never been guaranteed housing. You did your gen ed at community college in Raleigh and transferred to app? Good luck finding an affordable apartment and some roommates.

Public transportation to campus is extremely limited unless you’re in city limits. Find a cheaper apartment off the appalcart line? have fun unless you have a car. On campus jobs pay minimum wage and a lot of the higher paying seasonal jobs require a car to get to. So good luck working and saving through the summer up here unless you can afford a car. All of this added up to app frankly becoming a school with an extremely noticeable lack of diversity.

Now where I disagree with the sga is that app has looked in the mirror and tried to change the things within its control. The SGA has always been distracted by the low hanging fruit and never addressed the causes of these problems. They always just want to address the symptoms.

The app admin has changed its marketing to appeal to a broader base of HS students, new dorms are popping up like fire, they subsidize the appalcart system, and try to change the things within their control. Unfortunately the state isn’t gong to connect Boone to the Charlotte metro or add public transportation up here from the triad/ triangle so there are always things outside apps control. But, most importantly the app admin didn’t stick their head in the sand and they acknowledged there was/ is a problem. You can’t find solutions to a problem You don’t know exists. Never has anyone in the administration actively perused a less diverse student body/ faculty but therein lies the challenges. oftentimes these issues are unintended outcomes from things you never notice.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:01 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm
I think there were legitimate gripes a while back with App failing to appeal to and serve a broader socioeconomic demographic.
Very well said. Some of these problems exist across any campus in NC outside of the largest cities with a much more extensive transit system.

On a positive there is the Mountaineer Express from Greensboro to Boone and Charlotte to Boone that runs twice a each way on each route for 8 bus starts/stops in Boone each day on the weekends and a bit scaled back during the week. You mentioned some of that but I wanted to add a bit to that as well. That is more that UNC-A have or WCU in the mountains. I am not sure what ECSU, FSU, or UNC-P have and they are not exactly our peers I realize but I imagine some of the same concerns are there. FSU would have some Amtrak routes stopping in Fayetteville. With the Mountaineer Express starting about 100 steps from the
Amtrak station using Amtrak to get to Greensboro and then the bus to Boone is doable from most large cities in the state since most are served. It would actually be possible to take an Amtrak bus from Wilmington or Morehead City (and points along the way ) to Wilson and then the train to Greensboro and then the M. Express to Boone. It would take a while but so would driving. It may require a layover as well as the arrival time in Greensboro may be too late for the last bus out of Greensboro. That would make it less practical I realize.

I am not trying to undermine your statement. Maybe it is to point out that every campus has a hard time with some of these problems. I have not problem with App being a leader here however and being out in front.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:38 am

BTK2000 wrote:

When you push the outdoors, skiing, hiking and camping in your marketing and advertising materials, it has a narrow appeal. Also, app has never been easily access able to student from less Privileged economic backgrounds in the long run. It’s inaccessible to most of NC without a personal vehicle unless you take the bus from Greensboro or hitch a ride or have a parent come pick you up whenever you want to go home. There is no guarantee of long term on campus housing so you’re on you own more often than not by your junior year and transfer students have never been guaranteed housing. You did your gen ed at community college in Raleigh and transferred to app? Good luck finding an affordable apartment and some roommates.

Public transportation to campus is extremely limited unless you’re in city limits. Find a cheaper apartment off the appalcart line? have fun unless you have a car. On campus jobs pay minimum wage and a lot of the higher paying seasonal jobs require a car to get to. So good luck working and saving through the summer up here unless you can afford a car. All of this added up to app frankly becoming a school with an extremely noticeable lack of diversity.

Now where I disagree with the sga is that app has looked in the mirror and tried to change the things within its control. The SGA has always been distracted by the low hanging fruit and never addressed the causes of these problems. They always just want to address the symptoms.

The app admin has changed its marketing to appeal to a broader base of HS students, new dorms are popping up like fire, they subsidize the appalcart system, and try to change the things within their control. Unfortunately the state isn’t gong to connect Boone to the Charlotte metro or add public transportation up here from the triad/ triangle so there are always things outside apps control. But, most importantly the app admin didn’t stick their head in the sand and they acknowledged there was/ is a problem. You can’t find solutions to a problem You don’t know exists. Never has anyone in the administration actively perused a less diverse student body/ faculty but therein lies the challenges. oftentimes these issues are unintended outcomes from things you never notice.
All the difficulties listed here are problems to be solved which ultimately make a person better and teach you to make sacrifices to achieve a goal. My family wasn't wealthy, I managed. It's not discriminatory, it's just hard.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 pm

It seems like it’s about to blow up for her given the recent post from the appstate IG account

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 pm
It seems like it’s about to blow up for her given the recent post from the appstate IG account
More information please.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:45 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 pm

I predict this will be the last App State student takeover of the official App State account. Not a good look.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:58 pm

She’s an idiot and handled this way wrong. Should have been a small meeting face to face (in a large room). She should absolutely agree to work on these issues, with their help, but also communicate that some things take time in higher ed (like hires).

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:58 pm
She’s an idiot and handled this way wrong. Should have been a small meeting face to face (in a large room). She should absolutely agree to work on these issues, with their help, but also communicate that some things take time in higher ed (like hires).
Agreed if it was actually handled that way. Everyone knows in a power position that the smaller crowd the better when talking about incredibly sensitive subjects at work.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:17 pm

It’s probably about time she addressed this, I’ve seen this kinda stuff floating out there for weeks. I want to know why these students are feeling this way, and why it’s so hard for this admin to hear them out.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:17 pm
It’s probably about time she addressed this, I’ve seen this kinda stuff floating out there for weeks. I want to know why these students are feeling this way, and why it’s so hard for this admin to hear them out.
Unfortunately, I think this is more a general higher academia problem. I’ve been around others who have a PhD and have spent their entire career in academia and most have a sense of significance about them. But I agree, act quick.

1. Apologize and work with the group
2. Communicate this will take a while but we want to make incremental changes
3. Hire an outside firm to make structural changes. There is the racial equality institute that does great work in GSO

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Politics. Base politics.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:46 pm

Regardless of how you feel about Black at App State's motives, that Zoom meeting sounds awful and demeaning. I'd like to see a video of it.

PR tip. If you ever have to deal with a potentially contentious meeting like this, don't talk about how great the utopia is, shut up and listen. Sometimes, listening is the important thing. A lot of people just want to fill the air with their noise because that's what they're comfortable with. It's OK to be uncomfortable.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:46 pm
Regardless of how you feel about Black at App State's motives, that Zoom meeting sounds awful and demeaning. I'd like to see a video of it.

PR tip. If you ever have to deal with a potentially contentious meeting like this, don't talk about how great the utopia is, shut up and listen. Sometimes, listening is the important thing. A lot of people just want to fill the air with their noise because that's what they're comfortable with. It's OK to be uncomfortable.
That’s pretty good advice . The “ shut up” , well that’s a hit , but yes be quiet and listen. For many reasons , listen.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:55 pm

mike87 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:38 am
BTK2000 wrote:

All the difficulties listed here are problems to be solved which ultimately make a person better and teach you to make sacrifices to achieve a goal. My family wasn't wealthy, I managed. It's not discriminatory, it's just hard.
True enough, mike87. Good point.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:26 am

Interesting that Everts has talked about diversity from day one yet it appears she hasn't followed through. She's the most liberal Chancellor we've had, but it looks like an issue that liberals are supposedly more supportive of is going to be her downfall.

Im not sure I agree with all of the groups demands, but I definitely don't want any students to feel threatened or unwelcome. The leadership should legitimately listen to their concerns before giving any sort of response.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:50 am

I agree the meeting should be in person not zoomed. Neither side knows who is out of camera range listening/observing/contributing. It seems there was a power struggle over who would control the zoom meeting before it even started.
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”