Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Is the inevitable being postponed?

JSmith9192
School: Appalachian State

Re: Is the inevitable being postponed?

Unread post by JSmith9192 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm

EVERYTHING SUCKS.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:46 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:09 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:04 pm
I see two scenarios.

1. They cancel and be done with it.

2. They start and within a matter of weeks its over because of the outbreaks that will happen.
Unfortunately, I agree.

I do have moderately more hope should they postpone football until spring, only because there’s at least a chance we’ll have a vaccine by then.
The main reason I fall in the "just get back to normal" crowd is I have little faith that a successful vaccine will ever be found. I'm smart enough to know there is a bunch about it that I don't know, but I would guess it would better to get football in during the fall because spring will probably be worse that fall for the virus, as that is when pneumonia normally strikes. Same with schools in general.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:46 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:46 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:09 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:04 pm
I see two scenarios.

1. They cancel and be done with it.

2. They start and within a matter of weeks its over because of the outbreaks that will happen.
Unfortunately, I agree.

I do have moderately more hope should they postpone football until spring, only because there’s at least a chance we’ll have a vaccine by then.
The main reason I fall in the "just get back to normal" crowd is I have little faith that a successful vaccine will ever be found. I'm smart enough to know there is a bunch about it that I don't know, but I would guess it would better to get football in during the fall because spring will probably be worse that fall for the virus, as that is when pneumonia normally strikes. Same with schools in general.
Who knows about a vaccine. The other thing that theoretically could make it safer to "get back to normal" would be a coherent, consistent national response like the ones in places that have gotten the virus under control, and then people actually got on board together. But there's no reason to expect that to happen this year, if ever.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am

Let's stop testing people, then the virus goes away, right?
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am

I'm still not going to fall in the "sky is falling" group. I think we'll have a fall season, I just have no clue what it will look like. C'est la vie

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
Wanna see a high number of cases? Test everyone for Herpes. :lol:

Where is the vaccine?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:52 am

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am
That's what China did (in March) and apparently they are fine :lol:

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:09 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-r ... 34809.html

Some pretty sobering comments from P5 ADs and coaches.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Lou Holtz said in a mid-afternoon interview on Fox that college football this fall--as constricted by the NCAA's current Covid-19 guidance--would be utterly impossible. :(
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Scipio
School: USC

Unread post by Scipio » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:00 pm

The whole Covid-1984 narrative is a scary example of how politics trumps (pardon the pun) science. If you look at all the science, not the selective aspects of it presented by the government and the media, you will see Covid is nothing more than a serious flu. Look at other countries, Japan, Korea, Sweden, Belarus, and you will see they are on the other side of the virus because they did not follow the US/Fauci/WHO/CDC model. Heck, don't even look at the science. Use common sense. The same people who told us not to wear masks and why they were even counter productive are now telling us masks are mandatory. They were either wrong then, or they are wrong now. You can't take two 180 degree positions on the same thing and expect any credibility. No, this is a farce and the people running this rodeo are capable of trying to cancel tomorrow's sunrise if they could. Looks gloomy for a 2020 season I am afraid. My two cents.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm

JSmith9192 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm
EVERYTHING SUCKS.
My nomination for post of the year! Perhaps post of the decade! Definitely the post of the century! Well done JSmith well done!!!

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Lets be real more Americans had died in cars in my county than covid-19. Most deaths were at nursing homes. Watauga county has a small amount of cases. Take out the 300 pound players whom might have diabetes and you have young VERY health athletes. Chance of permanent damage is minuscule. I want our player safe more than anyone, BUT this is OVERKILL for a virus that no one can say ANYTHING definitive about. Pray for the Warp speed program.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:42 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 pm
JSmith9192 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 pm
EVERYTHING SUCKS.
My nomination for post of the year! Perhaps post of the decade! Definitely the post of the century! Well done JSmith well done!!!
But Furman sucks more.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 am

There is hope.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Scipio wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:00 pm
The whole Covid-1984 narrative is a scary example of how politics trumps (pardon the pun) science. If you look at all the science, not the selective aspects of it presented by the government and the media, you will see Covid is nothing more than a serious flu. Look at other countries, Japan, Korea, Sweden, Belarus, and you will see they are on the other side of the virus because they did not follow the US/Fauci/WHO/CDC model. Heck, don't even look at the science. Use common sense. The same people who told us not to wear masks and why they were even counter productive are now telling us masks are mandatory. They were either wrong then, or they are wrong now. You can't take two 180 degree positions on the same thing and expect any credibility. No, this is a farce and the people running this rodeo are capable of trying to cancel tomorrow's sunrise if they could. Looks gloomy for a 2020 season I am afraid. My two cents.
I'll try and say this with a respectful tone. You have so much of this wrong. Period. Full stop.

This is a lot more than a "Serious Flu." Deaths are higher for one and the flu does not leave people with the long term problems Covid is doing. The flu does not cause strokes in people in their 20s. With rare exceptions the flu will not have you bed ridden but for a week. And for the average person they will feel like crap only the extreme cases need hopspitilization. Yes the death rate for Covid is lower now than it was in April but it is still higher than the flu both per captia and in raw numbers.

As far as Sweden they are far from in a good spot with this. To use them as an example suggests to me you have even not bothered to keep up with this or you are getting your information from very biased propaganda sites.

You mention Japan. They have a HIGH rate of mask wearing.

"You can't take two 180 degree positions on the same thing and expect any credibility."

Actually in science that can happen as more data is produced and analyzed. I have no idea what your background is but I hope App State did not give you a degree in any of the natural sciences. Also some of the talk about not wearing masks was due to the fact that we did not have enough masks to go around at the time. I wish the science would have been a bit better at the start but that does not mean the what they are stating now is incorrect.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm

I saw in this mornings paper (Greensboro but the by-line is from Raleigh N&O) that ECU is pausing all sports activities due to 27 Covid cases out of 452 tested. 5 have recovered.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

UncleClark174

Unread post by UncleClark174 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:24 pm
Lets be real more Americans had died in cars in my county than covid-19. Most deaths were at nursing homes. Watauga county has a small amount of cases. Take out the 300 pound players whom might have diabetes and you have young VERY health athletes. Chance of permanent damage is minuscule. I want our player safe more than anyone, BUT this is OVERKILL for a virus that no one can say ANYTHING definitive about. Pray for the Warp speed program.
Woodstovegang Translated: “The 130K COVID-19 deaths outside of Watauga don’t affect me and my Harris Teeter runs. Those who did die were already in nursing homes so they were already on their way out. Let’s risk the lives and long term health of the offensive and defensive lines since the skill positions have a better shot at full recoveries. Chance of permanent damage to me is minuscule and shouldn’t impact my God-given right to tailgate. I want our players safe more than anyone, but this is OVERKILL for a virus that the CDC, WHO, and all G7 countries have deemed a pandemic. Pray for the Warp Speed program run by a guy that Trump’s IG determined could maintain his investments in the drug industry, while awarding government contracts for vaccine development, because there is ZERO chance of a conflict of interest.“

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:09 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm
Scipio wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:00 pm
I'll try and say this with a respectful tone. You have so much of this wrong. Period. Full stop.

This is a lot more than a "Serious Flu." Deaths are higher for one and the flu does not leave people with the long term problems Covid is doing. The flu does not cause strokes in people in their 20s. With rare exceptions the flu will not have you bed ridden but for a week. And for the average person they will feel like crap only the extreme cases need hopspitilization. Yes the death rate for Covid is lower now than it was in April but it is still higher than the flu both per captia and in raw numbers.

As far as Sweden they are far from in a good spot with this. To use them as an example suggests to me you have even not bothered to keep up with this or you are getting your information from very biased propaganda sites.

You mention Japan. They have a HIGH rate of mask wearing.

"You can't take two 180 degree positions on the same thing and expect any credibility."

Actually in science that can happen as more data is produced and analyzed. I have no idea what your background is but I hope App State did not give you a degree in any of the natural sciences. Also some of the talk about not wearing masks was due to the fact that we did not have enough masks to go around at the time. I wish the science would have been a bit better at the start but that does not mean the what they are stating now is incorrect.
I don't believe that at all. I think Fauci went on what we knew (up until June) about Coronavirus's in the past- spread was by aerosol as well as droplets cloth masks weren't effective. Once they got the memo that people preferred security theatre to the stark truth (they might get covid), the tune changed. I just don't believe he made the conscious decision to murder thousands of people by lying about mask efficacy (especially when ALL the prevailing science at the time suggested universal mask wearing wasn't effective).

I don't mind wearing a mask indoors, but i'm not working under the assumption that if I come into close contact with a carrier for an extended period of time, my paper mask is going to protect me.

We also agree to disagree on Sweden. They took their lumps in the Nursing homes, same as NYC, but have a quarter of the deaths (with similar population) and NEVER closed secondary and below schools, restaurants, businesses. A total of 70 people under 50 have died, or roughly (and i'm not making this up) the amount of people under 50 that die from gun violence in Chicago over a month period.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Sweden also has a higher death rate than all of their neighbors who didn't follow their model. Early signs look good there but their approach has come back to bite them.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden- ... ata-2020-7

darring21

Unread post by darring21 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:23 pm

I looked up the numbers on Sweden and neighboring countries on the Johns Hopkins Covid site. These are deaths from Covid:

Sweden - 5,572 out of a pop. of 10,099,265 - 1 death per 1,813
Germany - 9,080 out of pop. of 83,783,942 - 1 death per 9,227
Denmark - 610 out of pop. of 5,792,202 - 1 death per 9,495
Finland - 329 out of pop. of 5,540,720 - 1 death per 16,841
Norway - 253 out of pop. of 5,421,241 - 1 death per 21,428
Poland - 1,594 out of pop. of 37,846,611 - 1 death per 23,743
U.S. - 136,940 out of pop. of 328,200,000 1 death per 2,382

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”