Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Everts no confidence is approved

appdaze

Everts no confidence is approved

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:53 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Everts no confidence is approved

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Not surprising. It does send a message to the Trustees. I don't really care to be looking for a new chancellor right now, as I don't trust the UNC System but I do trust the professors that this was needed.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Apps03

Unread post by Apps03 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:01 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:37 pm
Not surprising. It does send a message to the Trustees. I don't really care to be looking for a new chancellor right now, as I don't trust the UNC System but I do trust the professors that this was needed.
Genuine question as I don't follow the day to day happenings on that side of our university as much as perhaps I should, but why? Is it a cumulative issue or did something specific happen? Appreciate any insight

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Others with better and closer connections will surely respond. My impression is that the snowball has been rolling for q-u-i-t-e some time.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 pm

People who have never run a business, a government agency or likely anything else ... her support for athletics especially football , is a sore spot for many up there.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:09 pm
People who have never run a business, a government agency or likely anything else ... her support for athletics especially football , is a sore spot for many up there.
Clarification - are you saying the academics don't like that she supports football or that others don't like that she doesn't support athletics enough? thanks
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Here’s a live thread from the session. Sounds like lack of raises, some veiled language that sounds like a reference to the NEZ project, and the back to campus plan for covid. As 66 said above, this appears to have been boiling for 2 or so years.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:58 pm

I’m told tonight that DG , Provost Norris and Vice Chancellor Forte are in the crosshairs along with the Chancellor.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:59 pm

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2020/08/ ... rns-mount/

Seems faculty has the Fear of COVID, low morale and questions the decision for students to return to campus this semester to name a few.

Something is not right. Are politics at play here?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the ire of faculty and all those in the teaching profession needs to be directed toward the State Legislature. Im sure the perception/ reality of scarce resources going to football instead of academics has real legs. I don’t think any professors have been furloughed. Has Everts really don a bad job Or is she the States scapegoat?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:37 pm
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the ire of faculty and all those in the teaching profession needs to be directed toward the State Legislature. Im sure the perception/ reality of scarce resources going to football instead of academics has real legs. I don’t think any professors have been furloughed. Has Everts really don a bad job Or is she the States scapegoat?
You are likely correct at some level but she is making VERY good money to be the scapegoat so scapegoat she may have to be. I can't comment on her doing the best she can with pay raises as I don't know the inner workings but I do know I have never heard her really go to bat for the faculty and staff either. At some point one has to decide to be with the masses or with the classes, and most chancellors choose the later. The professors may do better directing their ire towards the State Legislature but she is the face of the power structure by virtue of her position.

I know two App State employees are part of the class action lawsuit with the UNC system about opening school with the Covid situation going on. I think they are both professors.

So there are attempts at approaching this in a variety of manners.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 pm

So, she got a vote of confidence about a month ago, but now that the faculty have to teach in person, it's a vote of no confidence. I don't know if she does a good job or not, but when the students were complaining about something she was good, but now it goes against the faculty and she gets a vote of no confidence. Conflicting

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:58 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 pm
So, she got a vote of confidence about a month ago, but now that the faculty have to teach in person, it's a vote of no confidence. I don't know if she does a good job or not, but when the students were complaining about something she was good, but now it goes against the faculty and she gets a vote of no confidence. Conflicting
The confidence vote was from the board of trustees. This no confidence vote was from the faculty senate. (At least that’s my understanding.)

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

In general, this stems from the faculty pay freezes/lack of raises over the last couple of years as well as other issues, but COVID-19 has pushed this much further. At one faculty senate meeting last year, one senator spoke the exact salaries of all of Everts' top brass while noting other faculty members had taken second jobs to continue to afford to live in the area.

There was the abortion of the recent Black at App State meeting with admins. The "resignation" of former Provost Kruger, who had a good relationship with the faculty, was another issue.

Lack of communication has been a constant complaint over Everts' tenure. At one faculty senate meeting last year, it was noted that Everts failed to attend a required number of meetings of that body.

And for the record, the faculty had plenty of issues with Peacock, including votes of "no confidence" for his provost and vice provost.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Should just have a vote of No Confidence in the Professors and leave it at that! Typical academia

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:05 am

Just wish she would go away.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am

The faculty have a voice and they are using it, which is perfectly fine by me. The problem that arises is one that has been brought up several times by Mcleansvilleapp; look at the recent track record of the UNC Board of Governor's...not good. So if Everts goes (which could be warranted) does anyone think the replacement will be better? This is not a situation where the grass is greener on the other side.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 am

There is a strong anti-athletics sentiment among the faculty.DG is on their list , and she hired him , an SEC guy-then pushed major investments in the program.I talk to a limited number of faculty and staff who report that many can not deal with "our move up" and wish to go back , way back.

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by NWA49 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:03 am

Chiming in here only because we finally dumped our spineless chancellor and have a new one on board. Happy to share with you all how the process most recently worked for us.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:05 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 am
There is a strong anti-athletics sentiment among the faculty.DG is on their list , and she hired him , an SEC guy-then pushed major investments in the program.I talk to a limited number of faculty and staff who report that many can not deal with "our move up" and wish to go back , way back.
This is the crap that pisses me off. Just do your damn job and let DG and the athletic programs do theirs. Typical academia b*tching. :roll: :roll:

And I sure as heck don’t trust the UNC board to replace her with a “better” option.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”