Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Everts no confidence is approved

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Re: Everts no confidence is approved

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:33 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:27 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:11 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:56 am
Rumor has it that Tim Moore, former speaker of the NC House, is set to become ECUs new Chancellor. Should further cement the idea about not being too keen on the idea of the UNC BOG selecting a new chancellor right now. Too political of a pick and most importantly no experience beforehand.
God, I’m sorry, goodness no, we can’t have our university system being politicized. Well not by the “wrong” people. I’ll keep saying it, the leadership and staff at our university, to the extent possible needs to reflect the values and beliefs of the people of N.C.!!!!!
Politics has broke some of yalls brains. Sad to see. It’s not the fact Tim Moore is a republican that I particularly care about. It’s that he’s never been involved in academia. Let alone leading a university. Feel free to let your level of satisfaction of things be dictated by the political party of a person, but that ain’t gonna be me MJohn.
I said nothing about anything being dictated by politics. I said a number of times that the leadership and staff at our state run universities should reflect the values and beliefs of the people of our state. I have also said that I believe that means a more, not less diverse staff, with diversity of thought being the key ingredient. I don’t know enough about Tim Moore to make a judgement but maybe it would be good to have someone with a different perspective and skill set. My wife has been in academia for 35 years and she has told me many times that the leadership at the top has become entrenched in its thinking. One of the founding principles of our nation is that we must receive representation for paying our taxes. I see our state funded universities as being institutions that should be governed by that founding principle. In other words, the people, tax payers, who pay for the universities should be “represented” at these universities. More and more I see monolithic thought at our universities that is not representative of the people of N.C.
Tax payers have control to an extent with the unc board of governors. The BOG is selected by the state legislature And then the BOG elects it’s own chair. Outside selecting the Governors the only control the state legislature has at that point are budget controls to the best of my knowledge.

If you are asking for directly elected trustees at each university, it’s my belief that it would result in exactly what you want to avoid. The extreme politicization and lack of stability at the schools. It’s my opinion that we have one of the strongest and most successful university systems in the country for a reason and that’s is because it’s allowed to operate independently outside the politics of the state legislature.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:10 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Rumor has it that Tim Moore, former speaker of the NC House, is set to become ECUs new Chancellor. Should further cement the idea about not being too keen on the idea of the UNC BOG selecting a new chancellor right now. Too political of a pick and most importantly no experience beforehand.
God, I’m sorry, goodness no, we can’t have our university system being politicized. Well not by the “wrong” people. I’ll keep saying it, the leadership and staff at our university, to the extent possible needs to reflect the values and beliefs of the people of N.C.!!!!!
Politics has broke some of yalls brains. Sad to see. It’s not the fact Tim Moore is a republican that I particularly care about. It’s that he’s never been involved in academia. Let alone leading a university. Feel free to let your level of satisfaction of things be dictated by the political party of a person, but that ain’t gonna be me MJohn.
I said nothing about anything being dictated by politics. I said a number of times that the leadership and staff at our state run universities should reflect the values and beliefs of the people of our state. I have also said that I believe that means a more, not less diverse staff, with diversity of thought being the key ingredient. I don’t know enough about Tim Moore to make a judgement but maybe it would be good to have someone with a different perspective and skill set. My wife has been in academia for 35 years and she has told me many times that the leadership at the top has become entrenched in its thinking. One of the founding principles of our nation is that we must receive representation for paying our taxes. I see our state funded universities as being institutions that should be governed by that founding principle. In other words, the people, tax payers, who pay for the universities should be “represented” at these universities. More and more I see monolithic thought at our universities that is not representative of the people of N.C.
Tax payers have control to an extent with the unc board of governors. The BOG is selected by the state legislature And then the BOG elects it’s own chair. Outside selecting the Governors the only control the state legislature has at that point are budget controls to the best of my knowledge.

If you are asking for directly elected trustees at each university, it’s my belief that it would result in exactly what you want to avoid. The extreme politicization and lack of stability at the schools. It’s my opinion that we have one of the strongest and most successful university systems in the country for a reason and that’s is because it’s allowed to operate independently outside the politics of the state legislature.
I agree that we have historically had one of the top university systems (arguably the best). However, in the past few years we have begun to slip, IMO. It’s possible that, much like the Electoral College, perhaps it has served its purpose. Maybe we should decide on new ways of doing things.

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by NWA49 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:01 pm

The BoG is fine IMO. What we need is more diverse representation on the BoG and stop it from being the Chapel Hill/State party that is has been over the years. I know for a fact part of the reason UNC Charlotte opted for extreme growth and large size was to make it more difficult for the BoG and Legislative branch to ignore is from a funding point of view. It’s ridiculous how far down the funding list schools like App and Charlotte are and how far out of whack the funding and approvals that chapel hill and state get.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm

NWA49 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:01 pm
The BoG is fine IMO. What we need is more diverse representation on the BoG and stop it from being the Chapel Hill/State party that is has been over the years. I know for a fact part of the reason UNC Charlotte opted for extreme growth and large size was to make it more difficult for the BoG and Legislative branch to ignore is from a funding point of view. It’s ridiculous how far down the funding list schools like App and Charlotte are and how far out of whack the funding and approvals that chapel hill and state get.
Could not agree more - the boys in blue and red do so much less with so much more than the rest of the system. To an extent I do understand them getting a slightly larger slice of the pie - they offer some programs that no other school in the system offers, including many post-graduate and research programs that are difficult to find elsewhere in the state. But the discrepancy is stunning in many instances, and it keeps the rest of the system from growing new programs that could benefit everyone.
Give 'em hell!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:46 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm
NWA49 wrote:
Could not agree more - the boys in blue and red do so much less with so much more than the rest of the system. To an extent I do understand them getting a slightly larger slice of the pie - they offer some programs that no other school in the system offers, including many post-graduate and research programs that are difficult to find elsewhere in the state. But the discrepancy is stunning in many instances, and it keeps the rest of the system from growing new programs that could benefit everyone.
The less others have the better I look theory.

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by NWA49 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:43 pm

I think Chapel Hill and State know their dominance over higher education in this state is coming to an end and they are just holding on to the past as long as they can. App with its popularity and unique experience in Boone and a Charlotte being in a major growing city with money are rising and they can’t stop it. What they can do is slow the rise. Think about it - Boone is a small college town - like Chapel Hill but better. Charlotte is in a city - like Raleigh but better. The two of us are poised to claim our seat at their precious table. They will both continue to likely drive higher education here but it won’t be solely on their whims much longer.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 pm

bcoach wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:46 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm
NWA49 wrote:
The less others have the better I look theory.
I have been mingling with various private and public university professors around the state when I attend the statewide Physics Teachers meetings for the last decade or so. I can't speak for the non-physics programs at these schools and for some of the smaller universities that might be a combined physics and chemistry departments. The physics professors at UNC-P are absolutely top notch. They are likely one of the poorer universities in the state in both funding from Raleigh and their student socio-economic level entering. To do what they do, and they almost always show up at the twice yearly meetings with students as well, always amazes me. Prime example of doing so much with likely so little.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:43 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

I’m actually very much against politicizing our universities. I think there way too politicized right now. Just a thought but I would be more in favor of involving more average citizens in the process. And I would like to see it at the university and even possibly the department level. I firmly believe that the closer you get government to the people the better. There could be any number of problems I haven’t thought about but I think something like a rotating citizen advisory panel at each university would be a good thing. The panel should have some power over the chancellor and the department heads and be involved in vetting and interviewing professors. Sort of an expansion of the BOG. And absolutely no long term appointments. Two years tops. I think one of the hardest things would be finding a way to select folks that insured the power stayed in the hands of citizens and didn’t fall under the power of Raleigh. A few years ago my wife retired from a very large school system and went to work at a charter school. In the past she wasn’t a big fan of charter schools and no doubt there have been problems with charter schools. That said her experience at this school has shown her the value of people close to the school having a real say in how things are done. The head of the school really has to answer to and listen to the parents. Same idea, make the university answer to the people of the state.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:52 pm

pop5app wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I agree that we have historically had one of the top university systems (arguably the best). However, in the past few years we have begun to slip, IMO. It’s possible that, much like the Electoral College, perhaps it has served its purpose. Maybe we should decide on new ways of doing things.
My friend the electoral college has and needs to continue to serve its purpose. It protects individual freedom and states rights. It helps to insure that our country remains diverse and protects us from an overwhelming central government. Without the electoral college our presidential election would be decided every four years by 2 states and the federal government would eventually consume the states. I only wish people could understand the absolute genius of the people who put the electoral college in place.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:52 pm
pop5app wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

My friend the electoral college has and needs to continue to serve its purpose. It protects individual freedom and states rights. It helps to insure that our country remains diverse and protects us from an overwhelming central government. Without the electoral college our presidential election would be decided every four years by 2 states and the federal government would eventually consume the states. I only wish people could understand the absolute genius of the people who put the electoral college in place.
Exactly

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:58 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:57 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:52 pm
pop5app wrote:
BTK2000 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Exactly
Ditto...if the EC is eliminated, we may as well as kiss the democracy of the U.S.goodbye ...we would effectively be a one party country...Hmmm.. smells like a communism state of mind.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”