Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

help me with a memory

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

help me with a memory

Unread post by Neer86 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 pm

I was in Boone 82 to 86. For some reason, I started thinking about either a KFC or Bojangles in town, on 321. I remember this guy telling me about the Tuesday night special...all you can eat chicken livers, with drink and biscuit, for like $1.29, or some ridiculous price like that. And he was a husky kind of a fellow, and looked like the kind that would like to eat more than one serving at a sittin'.

I had eaten them a few times in my childhood, but wasn't a big fan of chicken livers. However, he kept going on about how good they were fried in the seasoning, and what a great deal it was, so we went 3 or 4 times, and dang if I didn't like them. Went back and got free refills...good deal for a starvin' college student.

No big deal, just a memory. I know there is still a KFC on 321, so I'm guessing that's it.

Anyone remember that?

Or Sollecito's Pizza?

Yosefus

Re: help me with a memory

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Chicken livers are oil filters for blood...Yuck!
Solecitos was a great place right next to Walker Hall. That's Amore!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:49 pm

I was there the same time. Bunch of guys on my floor used to get coupons for KFC- meal was like $1.29ish. Can’t swear to the price but it was dirt cheap even then. There was a pizza place near the Hardee’s. They tried an all you can eat deal on a particular night- also cheap. Well about 15 of us swarmed that’s place and the buffet deal stopped. They couldn’t keep the pizza loaded. Favorite place was Mikoto’s for lunch. It was like $3.25. We fought over the end spot because that’s where the extra rice ended up.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:29 am

I was around then too. I don't remember the KFC special, but I do like the chicken livers. Pretty sure KFC was in the same spot. There were a lot of good pizza joints around, including Sollecito's.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am

Neer86 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 pm
I was in Boone 82 to 86. For some reason, I started thinking about either a KFC or Bojangles in town, on 321. I remember this guy telling me about the Tuesday night special...all you can eat chicken livers, with drink and biscuit, for like $1.29, or some ridiculous price like that. And he was a husky kind of a fellow, and looked like the kind that would like to eat more than one serving at a sittin'.

I had eaten them a few times in my childhood, but wasn't a big fan of chicken livers. However, he kept going on about how good they were fried in the seasoning, and what a great deal it was, so we went 3 or 4 times, and dang if I didn't like them. Went back and got free refills...good deal for a starvin' college student.

No big deal, just a memory. I know there is still a KFC on 321, so I'm guessing that's it.

Anyone remember that?

Or Sollecito's Pizza?
Sollecito's was the best! My last semester was Jan-May 1986; the year alcohol sales began in Boone. I would spend my evenings drinking beer and listening to Mike Sollecito sing Dean Martin tunes. I had my lowest GPA that semester.
Also, there was a gas station on 321 that had 3 dogs for 99 cents- many of nights this was my dinner. Cork n Ale- the first beer store on the way to Blowing Rock. I think they had Natural Light for $1.99 a six-pack. A six-pack of Natural Light and 3 chili dogs; what a way to live!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:46 am

brianowen wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am
Neer86 wrote:

Anyone remember that?

Or Sollecito's Pizza?
Sollecito's was the best! My last semester was Jan-May 1986; the year alcohol sales began in Boone. I would spend my evenings drinking beer and listening to Mike Sollecito sing Dean Martin tunes. I had my lowest GPA that semester.
Also, there was a gas station on 321 that had 3 dogs for 99 cents- many of nights this was my dinner. Cork n Ale- the first beer store on the way to Blowing Rock. I think they had Natural Light for $1.99 a six-pack. A six-pack of Natural Light and 3 chili dogs; what a way to live!

I remember one of my professors talking about the gas stations...his quote..."3 hot dogs for 99 cents....that's a good deal!"

Jan to May 86 was also my last semester, and one of the best times of my life. By any chance were you at the concert the day when the beer sales were voted in? Quite a concert. The band launched into Roadhouse Blues by the Doors, and everyone was singing along "I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer!"

Then the first morning that beer sales were allowed, I walked out and huge beer trucks were rumbling into town, supplying the stores. They were everywhere...it was pretty funny.

I'm glad Boone allowed beer sales, The stretch of 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock, which I think was only 8 miles, had one of the highest, if not the highest rates of DUIs. That number dropped when people didn't have to travel to get a beer.

The trips to Blowing Rock were fun though. What was the name of the place where everybody gathered to watch the sunset?

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I remember the 3 hot dogs for 99 cents. I think they had them before beer in Boone. We used to stop on the way back from Blowing Rock. If you went there during the day and sober, the smell was overwhelming.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm

The 3 hotdogs for $.99 (Danger Dogs as we referred to them) was at the Scotchman convenience store. I had my fair share and am still here to talk about it. Apparently, not as dangerous as originally suspected.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:46 am
brianowen wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am
Neer86 wrote:

Anyone remember that?

Or Sollecito's Pizza?

I remember one of my professors talking about the gas stations...his quote..."3 hot dogs for 99 cents....that's a good deal!"

Jan to May 86 was also my last semester, and one of the best times of my life. By any chance were you at the concert the day when the beer sales were voted in? Quite a concert. The band launched into Roadhouse Blues by the Doors, and everyone was singing along "I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer!"

Then the first morning that beer sales were allowed, I walked out and huge beer trucks were rumbling into town, supplying the stores. They were everywhere...it was pretty funny.

I'm glad Boone allowed beer sales, The stretch of 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock, which I think was only 8 miles, had one of the highest, if not the highest rates of DUIs. That number dropped when people didn't have to travel to get a beer.

The trips to Blowing Rock were fun though. What was the name of the place where everybody gathered to watch the sunset?
Holly's Tavern.

I too remember the 3 for .99 hot dogs. It's hilarious so many remember that.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm
The 3 hotdogs for $.99 (Danger Dogs as we referred to them) was at the Scotchman convenience store. I had my fair share and am still here to talk about it. Apparently, not as dangerous as originally suspected.
I'm glad someone remembered the nick-name for those cheap hotdogs.

Anyone remember the little (and I DO mean little) sandwich shop on King St. in the 80's called "Yogi's"? They had some of the best sandwiches. Hated when they closed.

Here is a photo I found on Digital Watauga showing "Yogi's" in the background from 1973.
Wagon Train in Boone 1973.jpg
Wagon Train in Boone 1973.jpg (170.25 KiB) Viewed 4492 times

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:57 pm

In the early ‘70s we had Yogi’s. Great cheap subs! Remember the Antlers in Blowing Rock along with Holly’s and the Library Club. Had the Villa Maria later on. If you wanted hard liquor, there was the Speakeasy on 321 across the county line.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Yogi's! Holly's!

thanks guys for the memories. And yes, it's amazing how many people remember Danger Dogs.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am

Fond memories of Yogi's. Just fantastic subs. Anyone remember what year they closed?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:15 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am
Fond memories of Yogi's. Just fantastic subs. Anyone remember what year they closed?
It was '85 or '86. I remember getting Yogi's subs delivered to my dorm room, but they were closed by the time I moved to an apartment.

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am

How about Buck's Biscuits? I think they closed after my freshman year. The biscuits were the size of a small plate.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 am

appbanker wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am
How about Buck's Biscuits? I think they closed after my freshman year. The biscuits were the size of a small plate.
I think I'm still carrying some of the pounds I gained at Buck's Biscuits...loved them..

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:11 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:15 am
fjblair wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am
It was '85 or '86. I remember getting Yogi's subs delivered to my dorm room, but they were closed by the time I moved to an apartment.
I arrived in Boone in the fall of 86 and Yogi's was open at that time but it may have been under different owners. I understood they cooked turkey breasts at home every night to make the next day's turkey sandwiches.

I also miss the old soda shop next to the Appalachian Theatre on KIng St. They still made Cherry Coke from scratch and served burgers on napkins. The older couple who ran it were a lot of fun.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

we got a bunch of old farts on this board don't we. I was there 82-86 and remember developing a taste for Chicken Livers. i thought they were dining hall fare but could have been off campus. Danger Dogs were the late night. Holly's then Mother Fletchers or Antlers. Dang man.

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:05 pm

First off thanks for the thread post. Brings back great memories even the stories of before my time in 80s.

My question is what was the name of the restaurant/steak house that use to be in Blowing Rock when you turned right couple blocks down the street coming from Boone near the ABC store? It had the white linens look downstairs and the loungey bluesy atmosphere up stairs. This was the place to get a mean filet mignon and when you wanted to impress your date. My mind keeps saying the name was Bailey's but until someone verifies not sure.
KICK ASS!!!

appbud

Unread post by appbud » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:16 pm

I remember the Cattleman Steak Emporium close to where Hardee's was in the late 70's early 80's had the most tender steak. Also a taco place on 321 forgot the name where you could get 4 tacos for a buck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”