Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Athletic fees for general students

t4pizza
School: Appalachian State

Re: Athletic fees for general students

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:43 pm
Questions:

When the government provides “free” tuition for everyone, will that include the athletic fees?

Also, when tuition is “free”, won’t it be necessary to pay athletes to come to APP?
My 2 youngest currently attend UF and have "Florida Bright Futures" in which the State of Florida pays all tuition expenses including all fees. It doesn't cover books or room and board but the cost of attending college is fully covered if you have the highest level. Bright futures is funded by the State and has gpa, test score, community service requirements from high school and gpa requirements in college but anyone that gets into UF should qualify for the highest level of the scholarship which provides for full cost of tuition (including study abroad). I know this isn't exactly what you were getting at with your question, but it is an example of one state that does cover those expenses while providing free tuition for everyone (that qualifies).

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 pm
Oldlknapp wrote:
Questions:

When the government provides “free” tuition for everyone, will that include the athletic fees?

Also, when tuition is “free”, won’t it be necessary to pay athletes to come to APP?
My 2 youngest currently attend UF and have "Florida Bright Futures" in which the State of Florida pays all tuition expenses including all fees. It doesn't cover books or room and board but the cost of attending college is fully covered if you have the highest level. Bright futures is funded by the State and has gpa, test score, community service requirements from high school and gpa requirements in college but anyone that gets into UF should qualify for the highest level of the scholarship which provides for full cost of tuition (including study abroad). I know this isn't exactly what you were getting at with your question, but it is an example of one state that does cover those expenses while providing free tuition for everyone (that qualifies).
Got that Disney money......Florida thrives on the money of the rest of the country, and foreigners. I'd be interested to see fluctuations in Florida policy with CoViD
The Appalachian State

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:44 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:18 am
I still view it as a "the only reason your employer has ever heard of the school name on your resume unless they're an alum" fee. Then again, I'm heavily biased because I attended every single football game and quite a few bball games, so I never thought twice about it.
And you would have saved a good bit of money had you taken the fees back and just bought a ticket.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Then there is the honest answer. We don't want to pay the cost of our personal entertainment.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:03 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Oldlknapp wrote:
Questions:

Got that Disney money......Florida thrives on the money of the rest of the country, and foreigners. I'd be interested to see fluctuations in Florida policy with CoViD
It is actually lottery money. The only funds used to fund bright futures comes from the lottery in Florida, or at least that is the way we are told it works.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 am

Our students pay a comparable percentage of the total cost of athletics as our cohort. Obviously, considering we've been nationally ranked for at least one week the past three football seasons it continues to be among the best in ROI in the NCAA.

% of total revenue from student fees (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/):

ECU: 25%
GaSo: 33%
App: 34%
UNCC: 57%

Universities are big organisms with tons of amenities financed by student fees. Every student pays for every amenity regardless of whether they use them.

Health Service Fee
SGA Fee
Education and Tech Fee
Athletic Operations Fee $391.50
Book Rental Fee
Education, Recreation, and Renewable Energy Initiative
Cultural Affairs $22.50
Student Union Operations $114.00
Campus Security
Athletic Facilities $122.50
Campus Dining
Student Recreation Center $45.00
Student Union Addition $40.50
Leadership Annex $17.50
Infrastructure Improvements
Sanford Hall
Transportation

I underlined the fees that are non-athletics amenities that don't directly serve educational purposes and bolded athletics fees.

Athletic fees: $514
Non-athletic Amenities: $239.50

https://studentaccounts.appstate.edu/si ... july20.pdf

Now, I'm in favor of funding every single one of those amenities and funding athletics through student fees even though I don't think I ever played pool in the student union once while I was a student at Appalachian. All of them serve to attract and retain the brightest minds we can in order to make our degrees more and more valuable and sustain a level of success/giving for Appalachian in the future.

None of those fees, however, offer the level of exposure and alumni involvement that major college sports do. It's perhaps the best use of money that's coming from their federal load or parent's bank account including tuition. I'd love for Yosef Club to fully fund athletics, but the truth is our alumni are cheap and selfish compared to many. They don't open their purses. Many live in rural NC and don't make very much. Maybe we can spend some of these student fees on modernizing the Yosef Club's fundraising and outreach programs, but I don't think people here are ready for that conversation. We have an FCS-level booster club staff.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 am
Our students pay a comparable percentage of the total cost of athletics as our cohort. Obviously, considering we've been nationally ranked for at least one week the past three football seasons it continues to be among the best in ROI in the NCAA.

% of total revenue from student fees (https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/):

Universities are big organisms with tons of amenities financed by student fees. Every student pays for every amenity regardless of whether they use them.

Health Service Fee
SGA Fee
Education and Tech Fee
Book Rental Fee
Cultural Affairs $22.50
Campus Security
Campus Dining
Leadership Annex $17.50
Sanford Hall
Transportation

I underlined the fees that are non-athletics amenities that don't directly serve educational purposes and bolded athletics fees.

Now, I'm in favor of funding every single one of those amenities and funding athletics through student fees even though I don't think I ever played pool in the student union once while I was a student at Appalachian. All of them serve to attract and retain the brightest minds we can in order to make our degrees more and more valuable and sustain a level of success/giving for Appalachian in the future.

None of those fees, however, offer the level of exposure and alumni involvement that major college sports do. It's perhaps the best use of money that's coming from their federal load or parent's bank account including tuition. I'd love for Yosef Club to fully fund athletics, but the truth is our alumni are cheap and selfish compared to many. They don't open their purses. Many live in rural NC and don't make very much. Maybe we can spend some of these student fees on modernizing the Yosef Club's fundraising and outreach programs, but I don't think people here are ready for that conversation. We have an FCS-level booster club staff.
That is all well and fine and very informative. It does not change one simple fact though. We don't want to fund our own recreation. Our tickets are dirt cheap and our Yosef Club donations are embarrasing. So the solution is to have somebodey else pay. The answer to those who want just an education and are not interested in sports is to go somewhere else. That is exactly what you are saying to people when they are told they knew it when they applied to this University. You do present a great case and I mean that seriously but I am that one guy on the jury that you didn't want.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm

First world problems.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Gonzo wrote:

Health Service Fee
SGA Fee
Education and Tech Fee
Book Rental Fee
Cultural Affairs $22.50
Campus Security
Campus Dining
Leadership Annex $17.50
Sanford Hall
Transportation

Leadership Annex - Appalachian Hall - is the home of the Honors College and houses several classroom and meeting rooms.
SRC - Rec Center - Has around 12 to 16 classes on any given weekday between PE Activity, PE Teacher Ed, and Rec Mgnt
Student Union - Main meeting and event center on campus. Right now it has been converted to classroom space and has been used for classroom swing space in the past due to construction.

KBS - Cutting time available to classes/activities

On West Wing, Bartlet once said "As long as these people are funding their public school districts with property taxes, neither the value of the schools nor the value of their property is going to go up." As long as we keep increasing the fee and it being above about 15% of the budget, we will not have a program that will compete with the P5 programs.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm

I understand both sides of the argument but it is also like healthcare, the cost of maternity benefits are typically amortized across all payees regardless of whether you ever can use or plan to use those benefits. It is usually NOT something you can voluntarily exclude from your coverage.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Gonzo wrote:

Now, I'm in favor of funding every single one of those amenities and funding athletics through student fees even though I don't think I ever played pool in the student union once while I was a student at Appalachian.

I'll be honest-I was expecting you to say you would often be found in the Student Union wearing a pair of jorts and trying to hustle at the pool table.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Now, I'm in favor of funding every single one of those amenities and funding athletics through student fees even though I don't think I ever played pool in the student union once while I was a student at Appalachian.

I'll be honest-I was expecting you to say you would often be found in the Student Union wearing a pair of jorts and trying to hustle at the pool table.
I did my hustling at Saloon :lol:

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:09 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:03 am
appstatealum wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Oldlknapp wrote:
Questions:

It is actually lottery money. The only funds used to fund bright futures comes from the lottery in Florida, or at least that is the way we are told it works.
Oh yeah. Can't believe I forgot about lotto down there
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:21 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:52 pm
I understand both sides of the argument but it is also like healthcare, the cost of maternity benefits are typically amortized across all payees regardless of whether you ever can use or plan to use those benefits. It is usually NOT something you can voluntarily exclude from your coverage.
Its pretty much how most things work in this country. She could just as easily complain about paying her taxes if she knew where her money was going there.
The Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”