Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

COVID Discussion

Capt. Ed
School: Appalachian State

Re: COVID Discussion

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:20 am
I noticed that the AMA and New England Journal of Medicine have now reversed their position on HCQ.

https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/ ... dendum.pdf

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9 ... 2/fulltext

In addition Facebook has also apologized/said they made a mistake for censuring any comments promoting HCQ as a viable treatment for COVID.

https://oversightboard.com/news/325131 ... 06-fb-fbr/

It appears this could have drastically reduced the impact of this pandemic in severity and fatalities.

I hope everyone on this board weathers this well and gets through this healthy in the end.
Bull. Do a little fact checking.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did ... id-1565459

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/veri ... 949c2220ae

Facebook did decide to restore one post making clearly false claims about hydroxychloroquine as a cure because: "The board determined that while the post made false claims about a COVID cure, it should be restored because it did not pose imminent harm, a crucial element of Facebook's policies on misinformation."

Take this crap elsewhere.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:58 pm

Capt. Ed wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:13 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:20 am
I noticed that the AMA and New England Journal of Medicine have now reversed their position on HCQ.

https://www.ama-assn.org/system/files/ ... dendum.pdf

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9 ... 2/fulltext

In addition Facebook has also apologized/said they made a mistake for censuring any comments promoting HCQ as a viable treatment for COVID.

https://oversightboard.com/news/325131 ... 06-fb-fbr/

It appears this could have drastically reduced the impact of this pandemic in severity and fatalities.

I hope everyone on this board weathers this well and gets through this healthy in the end.
Bull. Do a little fact checking.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did ... id-1565459

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/veri ... 949c2220ae

Facebook did decide to restore one post making clearly false claims about hydroxychloroquine as a cure because: "The board determined that while the post made false claims about a COVID cure, it should be restored because it did not pose imminent harm, a crucial element of Facebook's policies on misinformation."

Take this crap elsewhere.
Please kindly note that I provided direct links to articles from the sources, the American Medical Association and Facebook's own Oversight Board websites. I did not use any third party interpretation or translation of their statements and positions. I will leave it to anyone that cares to take the time to read them in their entirety and come you your own conclusion. I do not recommend just basing your conclusion on a couple of potentially unreliable news articles as you referenced.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:11 pm

Your first sentence is false. AMA and The Journal of Medicine did not reverse their position. Nothing more needs to be said.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:10 pm

An acquaintance of mine died of COVID and a church friend has been in ICU for 7 days.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:47 pm

I consider myself very healthy and in top condition. I was also one of the doubters of Covid.....until it laid me up for 3 weeks and almost took me out. Doubter no more.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:04 pm

My wife and I are doing everything possible to ward off Covid-19. Due to our ages and co-morbidities, we've both been told that our chances of survival are highly doubtful in the event of a violent "cytokine storm" immune system attack on our lungs, heart, brain, kidneys and liver. That sort of message has a tendency to get one's attention.

We stay home 24x7 except when we have medical appointments, need to pick up medicine at the pharmacy drive-thru or when we have to pick up groceries (which we order and pay for online). The grocers load our orders into our SUV by appointment. We always wear masks away from home along with the full nine-yards that the CDC advocates. We "attend" our church's services online.

We're both three weeks and three days forward from Moderna vaccination #1. I had no problems with #1. My wife had a sore upper arm and shoulder for a couple of days. Nothing more. We're "go" for #2 when it's our turn.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm

I didn’t put this here to debate treatments or 2nd guess agencies or the government. My hope was by sharing the experiences we could see the myriad of effects and understand better how serious this is.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm
I didn’t put this here to debate treatments or 2nd guess agencies or the government. My hope was by sharing the experiences we could see the myriad of effects and understand better how serious this is.
Any controversial subject like COVID/China Virus will eventually lead to a political discussion. Just drop the whole thread and stick to App State Football.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:07 pm

Tested twice but negative both times. Taking 2nd Moderna dose tomorrow morning. Several cousins and a nephew and his wife had it. All ok, but one cousin was hospitalized. My primary doctor is a 34 year old, very healthy athlete and he said it put him in the ER for the first time in his life. Stay safe Mountaineers!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:21 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Any controversial subject like COVID/China Virus will eventually lead to a political discussion. Just drop the whole thread and stick to App State Football.
Amen

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:29 pm

AppDub wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:21 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:52 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Amen
He knows it all to well. Don't be fooled by the feigned motivations for creating such a thread. :roll:

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:05 pm

As soon as I saw the topic I wondered how long it would last as it surely would broach something political. My wife and I have been responsible when out and have been fortunate thus far. Son-in-law 30 in the military “got it” a few months ago. Quarantined at home, lost some taste but otherwise was fine. Just had a breakout at church amongst a worship team but I believe they are all mild. Riding this shit out.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:07 pm

This time ...not true!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:53 pm

I have a redirecting question then. Instead of discussing the effects that are different for every person who gets it that doesn't really do us much good and will send this to political hell, lets discuss which masks people find that 1. properly cover the mouth and nose, 2. hold firm without pulling your ears off, and 3. don't fog up glasses. I'll go ahead and say n95s are excluded because they aren't meant for long term wearing and are very difficult to buy in bulk right now unless you order the KN 95s which are essentially the same rating but made in china. So besides those two. Best masks you have found.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:55 pm

Hopefully none by summer.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:53 pm
I have a redirecting question then. Instead of discussing the effects that are different for every person who gets it that doesn't really do us much good and will send this to political hell, lets discuss which masks people find that 1. properly cover the mouth and nose, 2. hold firm without pulling your ears off, and 3. don't fog up glasses. I'll go ahead and say n95s are excluded because they aren't meant for long term wearing and are very difficult to buy in bulk right now unless you order the KN 95s which are essentially the same rating but made in china. So besides those two. Best masks you have found.
I’ve got one that I purchased in the bookstore that causes me no comfort issues (on my ears or face), breathes fairly well (especially in the cooler temps), and has a nose piece that I can adjust to keep from fogging up sunglasses or eye pro (wrap around). I think a lot of the fogging is due to face shape and such, making it hard to direct the air down or out the sides instead of straight up.
Give 'em hell!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:04 pm

I have not had Covid to my knowledge. Been exposed to my knowledge once, but tested negative. I’ve known 20 or so that have had it and all have recovered. I know of 5-6 that have died that are known by those known to me. I should add that I never get the flu and never get the flu shot. I think my extensive time in Murphy’s has made me immune to most disease.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:17 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:04 pm
I have not had Covid to my knowledge. Been exposed to my knowledge once, but tested negative. I’ve known 20 or so that have had it and all have recovered. I know of 5-6 that have died that are known by those known to me. I should add that I never get the flu and never get the flu shot. I think my extensive time in Murphy’s has made me immune to most disease.
All this time researching a vaccine when they likely could have just swabbed the toilets in Klondike (RIP) and found immunity.
Give 'em hell!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 am

I've had a couple colds but don't think either was Covid. Never lost smell or taste. I have had the 1st round of the Pfizer vaccine with zero side effects. Got up and ran the next morning and split firewood, seemed just another day. I know there's some who have had side effects with the vaccine but seems the worst gets circulated the most. Don't let horror stories deter you from taking it. Most of the time it's just a shot in the arm.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:41 am

Has anyone had the newest swab test? That one looks fun!
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”