Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article: App State Twitter Divide

SayYesToTheRock
School: Appalachian State

Article: App State Twitter Divide

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 am

Here's an interesting article from The Appalachian on the "Two Twitters" of App State athletics.

https://theappalachianonline.com/a-tale ... orts-fans/

Since the Cabin is the primary gathering place for what the article calls "Boomer-'Neers" I thought the Boomer-Neers of YC would appreciate seeing what the kids are up to. :lol:

fjblair

Re: Article: App State Twitter Divide

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:18 pm

They lost me at "neer". I don't twitter, but if I did I'm not a "neer". They seem to just want be provocative rather than productive.
Last edited by fjblair on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Sooo.....they are proud of getting kicked out of games. They are proud of screwing over students out of a piece of their college experience of getting a tailgate. They want a strong program but don't like being solicited for money upon graduation because apparently we have a winning program that costs nothing. Being "younger" doesn't mean you have to be pricks. Thats an unfortunate side effect of the social media generation. The "look at me getting attention any way possible" mentality. We make fun of other schools for stooping to those kinds of measures. I don't consider that a divide between ages. I consider it a divide between having class and not. Thankfully these guys aren't as important as they think they are in the grand scheme of things. Not throwing a rag on everything because BigC is still awesome.

On a side note this is probably just a senior student writer just trying to stir up stuff for views and talking points. I take these student articles with a grain of salt.

I hope this guy is proud to try to create and Us vs Them within the fanbase....

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Interesting column. Definitely a different definition of "Boomer" than I've ever heard. :lol:

Can't say I really identify with either group as described there. But hey, they're all supporting App, so good for them (mostly).

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:59 pm

Great article.

We need Yosef club donations and Neer Twitter to be successful in 2021.

I’m delighted to have both. Love the passion of these young folks. Love the money some of you old fogies give. Keep it coming.
YNWA

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:26 pm

Both need to support with their time and money for the program to be successful.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:22 am

ah59396 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:59 pm
Great article.

I’m delighted to have both. Love the passion of these young folks. Love the money some of you old fogies give. Keep it coming.
I don’t know about great article. Appdaze had a pretty spot on summation in my opinion. Universities develop success and tradition by the same set of rituals and practices being passed down. Not a separate set for the ‘new kids’. I cannot fathom an Alabama student ever writing an article like this ever.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:38 am

Everyone in Yosef's Cabin should go to Neer Twitter and put a link for Yosef Club donations....LOL
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:22 am
ah59396 wrote:
Great article.

I don’t know about great article. Appdaze had a pretty spot on summation in my opinion. Universities develop success and tradition by the same set of rituals and practices being passed down. Not a separate set for the ‘new kids’. I cannot fathom an Alabama student ever writing an article like this ever.
Agree. But Was the writer promoting or acknowledging the difference? Alabama has years of tradition that becomes a part of a student’s life. Our tradition is to throw tradition in the wind. To me the lack of continued tradition contributes to an “identity crisis” in that my traditions are not yours and yours are not someone else’s. Remember when we had a human Mountaineer/Yosef ? I do it’s been years and years since a student has seen that. Unless there’re a WV Mountaineer. Who touched a bell before the exams? I would have rubbed all over that thing if it were around when I was a student. Remember the cheer leaders coming in on the A model or T model? (see I can’t even remember) Does Ga Tech still have their rambling wreck? We have sacrificed traditions for new and improved and sometimes it’s new but not necessarily improved. Then we switch to something else. I know we’ve beat this horse around here pretty good but do we have a tradition that connects a 1978 grad with 2021 grad other than ASU and loving it which is a good tradition? Cafeteria trays? Unfortunately today’s “generation” doesn’t have the advantage of historical knowledge us old and wise🙄 elders have of where we were as a school and athletic program to where we are now.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 am

1ASU78 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 am
Seattleapp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Agree. But Was the writer promoting or acknowledging the difference? Alabama has years of tradition that becomes a part of a student’s life. Our tradition is to throw tradition in the wind. To me the lack of continued tradition contributes to an “identity crisis” in that my traditions are not yours and yours are not someone else’s. Remember when we had a human Mountaineer/Yosef ? I do it’s been years and years since a student has seen that. Unless there’re a WV Mountaineer. Who touched a bell before the exams? I would have rubbed all over that thing if it were around when I was a student. Remember the cheer leaders coming in on the A model or T model? (see I can’t even remember) Does Ga Tech still have their rambling wreck? We have sacrificed traditions for new and improved and sometimes it’s new but not necessarily improved. Then we switch to something else. I know we’ve beat this horse around here pretty good but do we have a tradition that connects a 1978 grad with 2021 grad other than ASU and loving it which is a good tradition? Cafeteria trays? Unfortunately today’s “generation” doesn’t have the advantage of historical knowledge us old and wise🙄 elders have of where we were as a school and athletic program to where we are now.
Polar plunge
Suicide hill
lunch tray sleds
We did have the mountain jug

A lot of traditions at other schools rely on locations which we don't have much room for. Auburn's trees for example. We've done so much renovation and building around campus that its almost a different place to a 78 grad as well.

A lot of this is on the feet of the AD's and marketing we've had over the decades. We didn't start trying to make traditions until a lot of these schools already had some so we kept trying to find something to be unique and it kept falling through instead of just picking a few things and rolling with it. We could have had Yosef in a wagon. We could have had him descend from the woods on the hill before every game. There are lots of things we could have done and just stuck with it. Our facilities never gave us a good place to do a mountaineer walk kind of thing for the players either. Other problems include the general apathy towards sports from the average App student over the decades compared to some of these other schools. Its a long list of reasons and I don't want to ramble because as you said its a dead beaten and burned horse. I just don't want us to be Georgia Southern and be the team no one wants to play because the fans are dicks. That's not the reputation you ever want.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:02 am

I just don't want us to be Georgia Southern and be the team no one wants to play because the fans are dicks. That's not the reputation you ever want.
[/quote]

You are exactly right!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 am

Seattleapp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Great article.

I firmly disagree with you. It’s no surprise that an article of that nature would fall flat here, which is probably indicative of its accuracy.
YNWA

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:12 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 am
Seattleapp wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
Great article.

I firmly disagree with you. It’s no surprise that an article of that nature would fall flat here, which is probably indicative of its accuracy.
Or not.

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:32 am

When I was a student in the 80's, I had a pin that I wore on my blue jeans jacket that said "If its too loud, you are too damn old".
A tale as old as time guys...young folks love to push buttons. I probably wouldn't wear that button any more even though I still love to crank tunes up.
I follow some of those guys on Twitter, and they are actually more passionate about App than some of us were at that age. They will give to YC soon...probably more than some of us Boomers.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:51 am

JGthatsme86 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:32 am
When I was a student in the 80's, I had a pin that I wore on my blue jeans jacket that said "If its too loud, you are too damn old".
A tale as old as time guys...young folks love to push buttons. I probably wouldn't wear that button any more even though I still love to crank tunes up.
I follow some of those guys on Twitter, and they are actually more passionate about App than some of us were at that age. They will give to YC soon...probably more than some of us Boomers.
Listen.....these kids don’t know what loud is...Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath Were loud and I’m 69 and still crank it up...maybe with a splash of Foo Fighters

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:52 pm

I can appreciate their passion. But the Neer Twitter mob is a full of hubris. They seem to have all the answers to our problems without displaying any acumen on how the process works, nor are they willing to invest in the program in a manner that gives them skin in the game. They all want to win. Nothing wrong with that. But they don’t know how it works. Current situation on Twitter. They are demanding that we parlay our new found success into better opponents. Complaining about our lack of D1 opponents. They attack anyone, including administrators and fans that want to promote positivity and donating to the process. I’m not saying that their thoughts are any different than mine at that age, but their mentality of having all the answers without committing to the needs required to get there, may provide an understanding why we are having a difficult time growing the Yosef Club. I hope they prove me wrong, but I will be interested to see how many of these Neers Twitter kids, make it up the mountain for games when they graduate.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:51 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Interesting column. Definitely a different definition of "Boomer" than I've ever heard. :lol:

Can't say I really identify with either group as described there. But hey, they're all supporting App, so good for them (mostly).
I guess I'm a tweener, I don't identify with either of these groups as well. Kind of like how I am between a GenX and millennial and don't identify with either of those groups.

Seems like just an off-season type of article.
The Appalachian State

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 pm

I get the generational gap creates different views, but criticizing people for encouraging others to support Yosef Club is just wrong.

I only made about $27,000 my first year out of college in 2005, but I donated $250 to YC that year. Yes, people have different situations, but it's hard to imagine that most college grads can't afford $100 a year. Most could do that or more if they prioritize giving.

I'm not going to belittle anyone that doesn't give, but it's hard for those that don't to tell the university to make these changes that all cost money if they're not financially supporting in some way.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:09 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 pm
I get the generational gap creates different views, but criticizing people for encouraging others to support Yosef Club is just wrong.

I only made about $27,000 my first year out of college in 2005, but I donated $250 to YC that year. Yes, people have different situations, but it's hard to imagine that most college grads can't afford $100 a year. Most could do that or more if they prioritize giving.

I'm not going to belittle anyone that doesn't give, but it's hard for those that don't to tell the university to make these changes that all cost money if they're not financially supporting in some way.
Spot on JT.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:39 pm

It's true: App State doesn't have a ton of athletics-related traditions. But one thing does bind all App fans together, regardless of when you were a student:

The Appalachian State Marching Mountaineers
North Carolina's Band of Distinction

I can remember back in 1988, the first time I ever saw/heard them march up Stadium Drive before a game. And I can remember the last time that happened in 2019...both like they were yesterday. Still gives me chills just thinking about it.

Throw in pre-game warm up rehearsal concerts beside Walker Hall, wild and crazy band members, amazing halftime shows and the Tennessee Waltz at the end of each game. Without a doubt, the music and vibe they bring to gamedays cannot be overstated.

We should all be able to agree that our outstanding marching band IS an App State Football tradition and one of which we should all be very proud.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”