Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article: App State Twitter Divide

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Article: App State Twitter Divide

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:33 am

Costs money to compete , more money to win.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Maybe as they tweet on their smart phones at $100+ a month, the young bucks will realize that Yosef Club takes monthly and quarterly payments to ease the pain of a one time large payment.
Signed-Beer Hat Guy-crotchety older fan

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:43 pm

“Crotchety older fan”
Sounds like a marketing opportunity for Yosef Club.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:03 pm
I get the generational gap creates different views, but criticizing people for encouraging others to support Yosef Club is just wrong.

I only made about $27,000 my first year out of college in 2005, but I donated $250 to YC that year. Yes, people have different situations, but it's hard to imagine that most college grads can't afford $100 a year. Most could do that or more if they prioritize giving.

I'm not going to belittle anyone that doesn't give, but it's hard for those that don't to tell the university to make these changes that all cost money if they're not financially supporting in some way.
When you've graduated within the last 5 years and pay $600 a month on a $40k student loan that you won't have paid off for another 10 years, being told to donate to the same institution that you owe can seem pretty ridiculous.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:40 pm

1. Some of y'all need to actually read the article.
2. Many of y'all need to actually follow these younger twitter accounts.
3. Almost all of y'all need to follow your own advice.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:09 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
I get the generational gap creates different views, but criticizing people for encouraging others to support Yosef Club is just wrong.

I only made about $27,000 my first year out of college in 2005, but I donated $250 to YC that year. Yes, people have different situations, but it's hard to imagine that most college grads can't afford $100 a year. Most could do that or more if they prioritize giving.

I'm not going to belittle anyone that doesn't give, but it's hard for those that don't to tell the university to make these changes that all cost money if they're not financially supporting in some way.
When you've graduated within the last 5 years and pay $600 a month on a $40k student loan that you won't have paid off for another 10 years, being told to donate to the same institution that you owe can seem pretty ridiculous.
Nobody is telling anyone they have to donate money back to the school. What people are saying though, is that if fans want our athletics program to grow or even maintain our current level then more people have to donate money. If more alumni donated we could also lower student fees which would then help lower the debit students come out of school with.

It costs money to be successful, and there are only so many ways for the school to raise money. I have a hard time believing that most graduates from App can't afford $10 a month if they really want to. Paying $600 a month is also not the norm considering the average is around $225 and the median is less than $400. Yes, it sucks having to pay it, but so does paying $1000 a month in daycare.

It's your money so spend it how you want. Just don't complain too much about coaches leaving, not being good enough in sports other than football, not hosting better teams in basketball, or being in the Sun Belt without helping the cause. Attending games, supporting on social media, and talking about App to friends are all great, but we really need a lot more money to make App State Athletics better.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 pm

MrCraig
[/quote]

Man I’m in the wrong business...because if you’re paying $600 a month for 10 years on a $40k loan, that totals out to $72k. Wow!!!
Now-that being said, the $32k apparent profit isn’t going to APP...it’s going to a private lending institution. If you don’t want to donate...fine. Us old boomer Twitter guys will do our part. I’m not down on woke and triggered and other terms but you are sounding like a “Karen” as y’all might say?!?!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:29 pm

We need to teach personal finance in high school and college.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 pm

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:47 pm

This is great!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 pm

MrCraig wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

The University already got that $40k. The payment is most likely to the Federal Government via the guise of Sallie Mae. It is atrocious what the student loan business has become. Essentially these loans are nothing more than credit card debt with rates up to nearly 14%.

It is no wonder apartments are going up like crazy and young adults are waiting longer and longer to 1) start families and 2) purchase homes.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 am

$10 per month is super affordable for I'd wager to say 100% of graduates. Most of these guys posting on their Twitters and being passionate about Yosef are the same guys who drink IPAs at double the cost of PBRHatguys beer of choice, they go to Starbucks and drink coffee that cost 10x the amount of brewing at home.

I'm not saying that's everyone's scenario, but in my line of work I see how budgeting, finance management, credit, and investment is just something a large portion of our newer generations neglect or don't understand. I'm only 37, so by no means am I "an old fogey". I had the foresight to pay on my student debt while I was still in school, paying it off a few years after graduation. I piggybacked that into paying off my wife's substantially larger loans some years later. I've been able to be a donor for over 10+ years to Yosef club and a season ticket holder for my family for the same amount of time. I have no debt outside of 2 newer cars and my house.

I bitch, cheer, complain, and support App State Athletics and when I've had the opportunity to eat lunch or talk with DG, I've felt validated to speak my mind because I know I do what I can to support Yosef. I'm not rich, but I am smart with my money and I spend it on things I want to do or that my family wants to do.
The Appalachian State

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:23 am

We need more people pulling the wagon and fewer just riding on it.

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am

There is an assumption in this thread that Neer Twitter is somehow to blame for our donation woes.

Some thoughts:
1. Neer Twitter isn't the reason the Yosef Club is underfunded. Most of them seem to be current students or very recent graduates. We've had decades before these kids were born to fully fund Yosef and have failed to do so. What % of living alumni give? It's not a pretty statistic.

2. While they may not be donating to YC yet (or maybe they are), they are donating plenty of energy to the program. Money can't buy energy. Did you go to a basketball game from 2014-2018? It was a morgue.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:22 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am
There is an assumption in this thread that Neer Twitter is somehow to blame for our donation woes.

Some thoughts:
1. Neer Twitter isn't the reason the Yosef Club is underfunded. Most of them seem to be current students or very recent graduates. We've had decades before these kids were born to fully fund Yosef and have failed to do so. What % of living alumni give? It's not a pretty statistic.

2. While they may not be donating to YC yet (or maybe they are), they are donating plenty of energy to the program. Money can't buy energy. Did you go to a basketball game from 2014-2018? It was a morgue.
I am one that posed the correlation. However, I didn’t call out the actual group. The article stated that they didn’t appreciate being called for donations to the YC when they have to pay for the debt they incurred to get the education. It is a bit of a head scratcher that we have a very passionate student fan base. They do us proud on game days. Yet it doesn’t seem that the passion transitions after graduation. I mean we have upwards of what, 7k filling the bottom level of KBS on a Saturday. You would think that at least 10% of those kids would join YC after graduation. That’s a 700 member increase over a rolling four year period. Has that happened? Does anyone have the stats to show new members joining annually versus the number that stop giving? It just seems like the numbers are static and that is puzzling when you see the number of kids engaged on football game days.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 am

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am

Some thoughts:

It is not about them specifically, it's about that mindset and the "snap back" defiance or retort when financially supporting athletics come up. These Twitter guys may very well have the intention to donate soon, but the quotes suggesting they don't like the pressure to do it and their contribution is attending and talking about the athletics across social media platforms versus financially giving is setting a bad precedent for new students who may be looking for an example of how they could support their Alma mater better.
The Appalachian State

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 am

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 pm
MrCraig wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

The University already got that $40k. The payment is most likely to the Federal Government via the guise of Sallie Mae. It is atrocious what the student loan business has become. Essentially these loans are nothing more than credit card debt with rates up to nearly 14%.

It is no wonder apartments are going up like crazy and young adults are waiting longer and longer to 1) start families and 2) purchase homes.
Thanks for seeming to understand my point a little more. I'm aware, and was aware well before I graduated, that I wasn't paying the school back for my loans. However, I was still paying for an education that I just finished getting, so asking for donations seemed ridiculous when I hadn't been off campus for a whole year. I've been out of school for 9 years now, paid off my student loans, and donate sporadically when I can. I was just trying to help some of these "Boomer 'Neers" see things from the other side. Most of them just confirmed the worst criticisms of "Millenial 'Neer Twitter"

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:55 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:09 pm
MrCraig wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:

Nobody is telling anyone they have to donate money back to the school. What people are saying though, is that if fans want our athletics program to grow or even maintain our current level then more people have to donate money. If more alumni donated we could also lower student fees which would then help lower the debit students come out of school with.

It costs money to be successful, and there are only so many ways for the school to raise money. I have a hard time believing that most graduates from App can't afford $10 a month if they really want to. Paying $600 a month is also not the norm considering the average is around $225 and the median is less than $400. Yes, it sucks having to pay it, but so does paying $1000 a month in daycare.

It's your money so spend it how you want. Just don't complain too much about coaches leaving, not being good enough in sports other than football, not hosting better teams in basketball, or being in the Sun Belt without helping the cause. Attending games, supporting on social media, and talking about App to friends are all great, but we really need a lot more money to make App State Athletics better.
Your last paragraph is what I disagree with. I went to App, paid my tuition, and got my diploma. I'm a fan and am entitled to an opinion. Saying "you can't complain if you don't donate to Yosef Club!" is gatekeeping bull crap.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 am

Those of y'all talking about how these young people could spend their money on Yosef Club if they didn't spend it on decent beer or coffee or owning a phone (?!) are missing the point. If that's where they spend their money, it's because they feel those things bring them value or enjoyment.

I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again - for many (most?) people, donating to college booster clubs is not about philanthropy, at least not primarily; it's about getting benefits in return. Love it, hate it, whatever, it's reality. And shaming or browbeating those people isn't going to change their minds. It's more likely to make them dig in their heels, which the quotes in that article reflect.

As long as supply for tickets exceeds demand at nearly all football and basketball games, and we can't find some other way to offer incentives that motivate potential donors, we'll continue to miss out on a chunk of supporters who are passionate about App athletics but don't need to give their money to YC in order to get the experience they want.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:17 pm
MrCraig
Man I’m in the wrong business...because if you’re paying $600 a month for 10 years on a $40k loan, that totals out to $72k. Wow!!!
Now-that being said, the $32k apparent profit isn’t going to APP...it’s going to a private lending institution. If you don’t want to donate...fine. Us old boomer Twitter guys will do our part. I’m not down on woke and triggered and other terms but you are sounding like a “Karen” as y’all might say?!?!
[/quote]

Yeah man, you should check out the student loan business. My numbers are an exaggeration, but not by much. I'm aware, and was aware, that when I pay back my loan, that money isn't going to App. However, when you see money going out every month to pay for an education that you JUST finished getting, you aren't super eager to donate MORE money to that institution.
Telling recent graduates they can't complain unless they donate to YC is gatekeeping bull crap, and isn't how we grow a fanbase and increase YC membership.
All you're doing is feeding the negative stereotype of "Boomer 'Neers" by being condescending and snarky.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”