Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Article: App State Twitter Divide

Saint3333

Re: Article: App State Twitter Divide

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm

Twitter trolls will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 pm

A new generation of fans should come in and keep the tradition and excitement going. Who tf made themselves gate keepers of App fandom? ALL OF IT IS GOOD. If a certain faction is not your flavor then find another faction. Simple as that.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:46 am

I have no idea who these ‘Twitter Neers’ are. If they are current students and members of student Yosef, I have no problem with them - they are contributing with student fees for athletics.
Bring Your A Game!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am

I just caution everyone here who constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) makes App fandom all about who’s donating the most money to prove it. Yes, money helps. But others contribute in other ways...emotional investment (and how that investment manifests itself) is extremely important too. Writing a check doesn’t make you a better fan than anyone else. There is absolutely a toxic subculture of app fans who think that.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 am

Just to play devil's advocate a bit, can someone sell me on why I should join Yosef Club? What do I get out of it? What are the perks? Why should I donate my hard-earned money to an athletic department that I already paid fees towards for 4 years?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am

It comes with a parking space and an air of superiority

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:01 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 am
Just to play devil's advocate a bit, can someone sell me on why I should join Yosef Club? What do I get out of it? What are the perks? Why should I donate my hard-earned money to an athletic department that I already paid fees towards for 4 years?
As someone who frequently beats the drum that they need to emphasize incentives - and also a YC member who likes the incentives I do get - I'll give it a shot.

- Better seating for season tickets, and earlier access for single-game tickets.

- Football parking at membership levels as low as $100. Over a full season, basically pays for itself, or at least partially, and you get a guaranteed spot in a good tailgate lot or deck without having to get there super-early or circle around hoping to get lucky.

- Early access/priority seating for road games. To be honest I'm not sure exactly how they handle this, and they don't do a great job of publicizing on-sale dates. But it's potentially a big deal for high-demand games like UNC, UNCC, etc.

- Priority seating for bowl games. No, you don't need a YC membership to get a ticket, but the better seat does make a difference in the experience.

- Yosef Club Spring Tour. You don't actually have to be a member to attend, but they'll keep you notified of dates and it's always a fun event where rank-and-file fans can chat with coaches, Gillin and others around the program.

- Start building seniority. You get bonus points for years you've contributed, so even if you can't afford much as a young grad, the points you accumulate now can help you out down the road when you have a little more disposable income.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:11 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:01 am
MrCraig wrote:
As someone who frequently beats the drum that they need to emphasize incentives - and also a YC member who likes the incentives I do get - I'll give it a shot.

- Better seating for season tickets, and earlier access for single-game tickets.

- Football parking at membership levels as low as $100. Over a full season, basically pays for itself, or at least partially, and you get a guaranteed spot in a good tailgate lot or deck without having to get there super-early or circle around hoping to get lucky.

- Early access/priority seating for road games. To be honest I'm not sure exactly how they handle this, and they don't do a great job of publicizing on-sale dates. But it's potentially a big deal for high-demand games like UNC, UNCC, etc.

- Priority seating for bowl games. No, you don't need a YC membership to get a ticket, but the better seat does make a difference in the experience.

- Yosef Club Spring Tour. You don't actually have to be a member to attend, but they'll keep you notified of dates and it's always a fun event where rank-and-file fans can chat with coaches, Gillin and others around the program.

- Start building seniority. You get bonus points for years you've contributed, so even if you can't afford much as a young grad, the points you accumulate now can help you out down the road when you have a little more disposable income.
Thank you for taking the time to make a thoughtful answer! (I'm not trying to start an argument here, just sort of trying to prove a point)

What if I don't live within a day's drive of Boone/Charlotte/The Triangle and can't go to very many games? What are my incentives then?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:11 am
EastHallApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to make a thoughtful answer! (I'm not trying to start an argument here, just sort of trying to prove a point)

What if I don't live within a day's drive of Boone/Charlotte/The Triangle and can't go to very many games? What are my incentives then?
I agree with your point and think they need to think harder about what further incentives they can offer.

That said, if you live far enough away that you don't attend many sporting events, it's probably going to be challenging to offer you much beyond a trinket or a media guide here and there. Maybe like a 15% online merch discount?

But maybe I'm wrong. What incentives would personally appeal to you?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:21 pm

I guess when I donate to the various organizations (some private, some public) that I donate money to I don't really ask them "whats in it for me?"

I just do it to help other people. Everything in life doesn't have to be transactional. Sometimes as people we just give. These days I rarely make it to Boone, let alone a sporting event. When I give to my local public school, Appstate, the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, I don't ask them for anything, believe it or not I don't even write it off on my taxes. Sometimes people just want to give to future generations so that they have something better.

In the end no one is forcing anyone to give. There is nothing wrong with asking recent graduates for donations. There is something wrong with being a dick in return. That is more worrisome to me than not wanting to donate. I truly hope that isn't a reputation that Appgrads acquire.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Donations are not donations when the perks are the main concern when deciding what to give. The main "perk" of any donation to a properly established non-profit organization is the tax incentive. In the case of the Yosef Club the reason to give is to fund athletic grants-in-aid for the athletes that we, in the case of most sports, purchase tickets to see or watch on TV/streamin. If we can't provide the grants then we will not have sporting events to attend or watch on TV. How many other entities to which we donate do we consider the perks? Why should Yosef be any different?
WE ARE YOSEF!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:21 pm
I guess when I donate to the various organizations (some private, some public) that I donate money to I don't really ask them "whats in it for me?"

I just do it to help other people. Everything in life doesn't have to be transactional. Sometimes as people we just give. These days I rarely make it to Boone, let alone a sporting event. When I give to my local public school, Appstate, the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, I don't ask them for anything, believe it or not I don't even write it off on my taxes. Sometimes people just want to give to future generations so that they have something better.

In the end no one is forcing anyone to give. There is nothing wrong with asking recent graduates for donations. There is something wrong with being a dick in return. That is more worrisome to me than not wanting to donate. I truly hope that isn't a reputation that Appgrads acquire.
But the Yosef Club and the Appalachian State athletic department isn't a charity. They may be "non-profit," but they provide a product and recieve payment for it in return (and don't pay the people who actually provide the product, but that's another discussion). App athletics makes money off of tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc. Why should I just GIVE them money with nothing in return?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:47 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:11 am
EastHallApp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

I agree with your point and think they need to think harder about what further incentives they can offer.

That said, if you live far enough away that you don't attend many sporting events, it's probably going to be challenging to offer you much beyond a trinket or a media guide here and there. Maybe like a 15% online merch discount?

But maybe I'm wrong. What incentives would personally appeal to you?
I've seen a few of your posts on this subject and agree with most of your ideas for incentives. Discounted concessions and merchandise are great ideas. The perks they currently have a good as well. I'm just trying to make a point for the folks who can't seem to wrap their minds around why someone would NOT want to donate.

I have, and will, donate to YC because I love App State. And even though I don't live close enough to be a season ticket holder, I plan on going to a couple games next season.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:48 pm

appdaze wrote:

That's good for you. Doesn't change the fact that other people feel differently, and ignoring them means missing out on potential donors.

It's probably not realistic to equate college athletics booster clubs with the other types of charities and causes you mentioned, either.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:49 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm
appdaze wrote:

But the Yosef Club and the Appalachian State athletic department isn't a charity. They may be "non-profit," but they provide a product and recieve payment for it in return (and don't pay the people who actually provide the product, but that's another discussion). App athletics makes money off of tickets, merchandise, concessions, etc. Why should I just GIVE them money with nothing in return?
Yosef may not be a "charity" but the donation is considered charitable.
WE ARE YOSEF!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Put it this way: If philanthropy is the only motivation needed for Yosef Club donations, then why have benefits at all? Just remove all ties with parking and ticketing and make those things first-come first-served to the general public. No pregame hospitality rooms, no special events or access to coaches. No naming rights for large donations, either. Just give out of the goodness of your heart.

Anyone think fundraising would be affected?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:31 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am
I just caution everyone here who constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) makes App fandom all about who’s donating the most money to prove it. Yes, money helps. But others contribute in other ways...emotional investment (and how that investment manifests itself) is extremely important too. Writing a check doesn’t make you a better fan than anyone else. There is absolutely a toxic subculture of app fans who think that.
No but what you’re willing to give up matters. Whether that’s time traveling to games, making calls to friends to donate or go to games, or cut the check.

When I was young I gave what I could and spent more time fundraising, made a lot more events/games as well. Time is more limited now, but checks are bigger.

Watching games on TV isn’t enough to get a seat at the table, being invested does matter.

It will take a much larger percentage of our fans to make strides and be the program we all love App to be.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:40 pm

MrCraig wrote:
appdaze wrote:

It's a fair question. What do I get to motivates me to contribute to the Yosef Club?

Sept 1998 - As a high school senior, in the stands for my first game at KBS. I remember looking out over the mountains and watching the Mountaineers crush VMI. And that was the day I fell in love with ASU.

Sept 2007 - Celebrating like crazy as I listened to David Jackson and Steve Brown tell me my alma mater shocked the world, beating Michigan at the Big House.

2005-2007 - Living the dream as I watched my alma mater win three national championships in a row.

2014 - Watching my alma mater lose a heartbreaker to Liberty on Homecoming, then turn the corner and begin the amazing winning FBS streak we're currently riding.

And then there's The Miracle on the Mountain, epic rivalries against Marshall and GASO, Reaves, Satterfield, Coakley, Armanti, Quick, ADG, Duck, Zac, #5, the bowl game streak...I could go on and on, folks. But I could never place a value on all of the happy memories I have related to App State football. Priceless.

I also paid for my own tuition, so I get it. But App State football adds so much joy to my life. I care about the athletes, I care about the program and the program needs help to remain competitive. And that's why I donate to the Yosef Club.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:31 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am
No but what you’re willing to give up matters. Whether that’s time traveling to games, making calls to friends to donate or go to games, or cut the check.

When I was young I gave what I could and spent more time fundraising, made a lot more events/games as well. Time is more limited now, but checks are bigger.

Watching games on TV isn’t enough to get a seat at the table, being invested does matter.

It will take a much larger percentage of our fans to make strides and be the program we all love App to be.
Will it? App State is one of the (at least) top 5 G5 over the last 10 years, they just had a wrestling All-American, and the men’s basketball team went to the Big Dance. If App can do all those things with the current money coming in, why do I have to donate as well?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:40 pm
MrCraig wrote:
appdaze wrote:

It's a fair question. What do I get to motivates me to contribute to the Yosef Club?

Sept 1998 - As a high school senior, in the stands for my first game at KBS. I remember looking out over the mountains and watching the Mountaineers crush VMI. And that was the day I fell in love with ASU.

Sept 2007 - Celebrating like crazy as I listened to David Jackson and Steve Brown tell me my alma mater shocked the world, beating Michigan at the Big House.

2005-2007 - Living the dream as I watched my alma mater win three national championships in a row.

2014 - Watching my alma mater lose a heartbreaker to Liberty on Homecoming, then turn the corner and begin the amazing winning FBS streak we're currently riding.

And then there's The Miracle on the Mountain, epic rivalries against Marshall and GASO, Reaves, Satterfield, Coakley, Armanti, Quick, ADG, Duck, Zac, #5, the bowl game streak...I could go on and on, folks. But I could never place a value on all of the happy memories I have related to App State football. Priceless.

I also paid for my own tuition, so I get it. But App State football adds so much joy to my life. I care about the athletes, I care about the program and the program needs help to remain competitive. And that's why I donate to the Yosef Club.
This is the best answer I’ve seen for “why should I donate to YC?”
Maybe creating some promos with this kind of stuff will get more people to donate.
You show me App beating UNC and say “your donation to Yosef Club helped make this happen” and I’m more inclined to donate. That’s certainly more convincing than “we need you to donate so we can pay a coach who already makes 3 times what you make even more, so we can hopefully keep winning. Oh and here’s a parking pass.”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”