Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No more sitting a year for transfers. Let college free agency begin.

appdaze

No more sitting a year for transfers. Let college free agency begin.

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... eport-says

"Starting next season, major college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to change the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press."

I think this will get wild for a couple years and then actually settle down some. I don't think we will get hit hard with this like some might. I think basketball for the top 20 schools is going to be the worst.

appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: No more sitting a year for transfers. Let college free agency begin.

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:48 am

It's going to allow Alabama, Clemson, tOSU and other top football programs to recruit from other schools. See a kid have a great year Akron? Ohio State calls up and says, "Hey, we think you could play here." Bye-bye Akron. The elites of the P5 are going to be able to use the rest of college football like a farm system.

But, I also think kids should be able to go where they want to go. Coaches leave all the time for better offers.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:15 am

Saban and Dabo would prefer to recruit than watch the transfer portal and try and land a player from a G5 school. They aren't going to change what has worked for them all of a sudden. I know Saban lives by the philosophy that even if you don't play until your sophomore or junior year, you're at least practicing against future first round players that will help you get better and ready. You also have to think, just because that player from Akron did well against Central, Eastern, and Western Michigan, does it mean he will do well against Michigan or Michigan State?

I don't think you will see that much of a change. Slight increase in players entering the portal, but over time many will see the grass isn't always greener. I applaud the NCAA for allowing this to happen, and I feel it is long overdue.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 am

I think it will be more of a problem with lower level P5’s taking G5 players.
Bring Your A Game!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 am

So, the new rule states that one transfer can occur without sitting out a year. So, if a second transfer occurs then I assume they'd sit a year?
Also, what are the rules on recruiting players on other teams? Can coaches actively recruit players at other schools or do they have to wait until the player enters the portal to make contact?

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:08 am

I think it may impact G5 and P5 programs somewhat equally. There will likely be some good P5 players not getting much playing time that will go to a G5 program in hopes of getting on the field. Others may just want to get closer to home. I am not sure it gives a significant advantage to one over the other.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:46 am

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 am
So, the new rule states that one transfer can occur without sitting out a year. So, if a second transfer occurs then I assume they'd sit a year?
Also, what are the rules on recruiting players on other teams? Can coaches actively recruit players at other schools or do they have to wait until the player enters the portal to make contact?
I don't think recruiting players at other schools will ever be allowed.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 am

Are programs really going to devote the time and resources to watching film of other schools to look at players that they would maybe want if those particular players “might” become available? Seems like a reach. I see a crop of delusional kids making dumb decisions. A kid doesn’t get the offers he thinks or hopes he should get so he goes to Akron then plays a little as a freshman, a good bit more as a sophomore and puts up some nice stats. Then has a really good junior year and puts up really good stats against mostly MAC schools and maybe an FCS opponent. Kid thinks he is high P5 level now so he enters the portal. Doesn’t get that Clemson or Alabama call but maybe LSU says that they will take him. Transfers to LSU and sits the bench or plays sparingly. Should have stayed at Akron.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am

Coaches can not recruit active players from other teams or tamper in any way. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It would be as easy as an assistant having a friend that isn't associated with the program contacting the players former coaches and just casually seeing if there would be interest. Once the kid is in the portal it is open season on recruiting. I think in the long run we will see a lot more kids on scholarship leave programs for hopes of finding another scholarship that never materializes and the kid ends up not finishing school. Just look at the numbers in the portal, the vast majority of those kids will never get another shot. Sometimes a kid needs to be protected from themselves. We used to rely on parents for this but it has become increasingly clear that often the parents are the instigators because they just can't believe little Johnny can't crack the lineup and get playing time and it must be because the coach doesn't like him. As if any coach willfully keeps the best players that can help the team win on the sidelines with any regularity. I think in the end this will be used by coaches to trim their rosters of dead weight. I feel for the kids who will/may lose an opportunity to get a free college degree, because at the end of the day that is the reason we go to school.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:43 pm

I could see the kid who finds App's classwork is just to rigorous to look to move to a UNC type school where he doesn't have to actually attend classes.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:49 am
Are programs really going to devote the time and resources to watching film of other schools to look at players that they would maybe want if those particular players “might” become available? Seems like a reach. I see a crop of delusional kids making dumb decisions. A kid doesn’t get the offers he thinks or hopes he should get so he goes to Akron then plays a little as a freshman, a good bit more as a sophomore and puts up some nice stats. Then has a really good junior year and puts up really good stats against mostly MAC schools and maybe an FCS opponent. Kid thinks he is high P5 level now so he enters the portal. Doesn’t get that Clemson or Alabama call but maybe LSU says that they will take him. Transfers to LSU and sits the bench or plays sparingly. Should have stayed at Akron.
Bingo! Wasn’t that the case with our own Shae Meadors leaving for Illinois a few years ago, never to be heard from again? He was good (real good), but I feared for his future from the day it was announced.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Here's the way it all begins. July will be WILD from coast-to-coast!

"For this year, athletes in all sports will be required to notify their schools about their intent to transfer by July 1.

The council also voted to let the current dead period in recruiting in all sports expire June 1. A ban on in-person recruiting has been in place for more than a year because of the pandemic. Coaches will again be permitted to visit recruits off campus, hold camps on campus and welcome prospective student-athletes on official recruiting visits."
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:14 am

I think this is great. Players are finally starting to get some of the same rights as other students and employees. Nobody makes a professor sit out a year if he changes schools, and no student has to sit out a year when she transfers.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:42 am

I think there are a LOT of moving parts to this and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I really don't think the blue chip programs and likely to switch their emphasis from recruiting HS players to the portal. I'm sure it will happen but I doubt the rate increases all that much.

I also don't think that the starters on successful programs (like App) are going to start leaving in significant numbers. Meadors is a perfect example of why. Players who are getting playing time in a successful program will tend to stay unless there are other issues (coaching changes, cultural or academic issues for example). Those are players who have been leaving already, even with having to sit a year.

I do think it will impact depth, but that will apply to the elites as well. A player who is getting stacked down will be more likely to transfer. That could actually benefit programs like App since we are seen as a desirable destination. I think (hope) our culture and success helps to hold these guys.

I do agree with the comment above that it will probably be crazy at first but then settle down. It should be interesting to watch.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:49 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:42 am
I think there are a LOT of moving parts to this and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I really don't think the blue chip programs and likely to switch their emphasis from recruiting HS players to the portal. I'm sure it will happen but I doubt the rate increases all that much.

I also don't think that the starters on successful programs (like App) are going to start leaving in significant numbers. Meadors is a perfect example of why. Players who are getting playing time in a successful program will tend to stay unless there are other issues (coaching changes, cultural or academic issues for example). Those are players who have been leaving already, even with having to sit a year.
TBF, Meadors was a grad transfer and got hurt after going to Illinois and had to medically retire.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:13 pm

The extra year may affect some high school players. Less room on college rosters with the extra year and some schools will fill the openings with transfers (Duke announced two transfers coming in yesterday). The blue chip high school players will always find a spot. But the next level down may not. May need to play a 13th year at a prep school.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”