Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Academics and Realignment

ShagNC
School: Appalachian State

Academics and Realignment

Unread post by ShagNC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:00 pm

I've read on here before about the impact of academics on realignment, so I'm wondering what everyone's take is now that things are shaking up. The newest members of the Big12 are all major research universities, spending millions in R&D.

2018 figures from the National Science Foundation:

Houston: $177 million
BYU: $40.7 million
Cinci: $480 million
UCF: $215 million

For some perspective, I looked up some rivals:
ECU: $20 million
UNCC: $52 million (2020)
GaSo: $14.8 million (2020)
Louisiana: $144 million (2019)

According to the NSF, App State spent $4.5 million in R&D in 2017, which is far below our peers. Do you think this will have any impact on future realignment? I fear we may be seen as the small teachers college on the mountain, and we know optics are everything now. Is this something App needs to invest in to continue our growth? Can Boone handle that type of growth? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Last edited by ShagNC on Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

APPdiesel

Re: Academics and Realignment

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 pm

I’ve heard for years (and I’m not saying this isn’t true) that the UNC BOG blocks App State from starting graduate level programs. It seems like the more research or graduate programs across the UNC system the better. App needs one or two more. Whether it be dentistry or optometry, law or medicine…a slew of graduates with big bank accounts would help with donations too.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:22 pm

I agree, we need a few other Doctoral level programs...we offer two: Doctor of Education (EdD) and Doctor of Psychology (PsyD). Our master's programs are robust, perhaps these are the foundations for more academic growth in terms of PhDs.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 am

I’m still surprised we don’t have Doctorate degrees for programs like Environmental Science or even Sustainable Technology. Appalachian Studies could probably pull one off too.

I don’t know how much the administration is pushing, or what they’re pushing for, so it just seems like a pipe dream. However, I have to say that we do a pretty good job at teaching undergrads and building professional expertise with our current graduate programs.

ShagNC

Unread post by ShagNC » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:30 am

Our Environmental Science and Sustainable Tech programs have been nationally recognized, and even won some competitions on the National level when I attended between 2010 and 2012. We should really use these two programs as a stepping stone for developing more research and getting more grant $$$. Maybe the growth and investment in the Nursing program can be a launching point too for more medical fields of study.
GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”