Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WSJ

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

WSJ

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:08 pm

WTF...not 1 article about Saturday’s game.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: WSJ

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Greensboro had an article but I think it was an AP newswire.Maybe the newspaper can't afford to send Ethan to Atlanta and they could also not afford to pay for ESPN+ either.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:20 pm

Pretty pitiful but Wake is unbeaten and their probably gunna get all the coverage.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 pm

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:27 am

Sadly, this is what happens when people stop buying print newspapers and they can't make money with their online channels.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:18 pm

I kept the 7 day print version of the Greensboro paper until the spring and dropped back to the e-edition except for a print edition on Sunday. $45 a year. I bet WSJ has the same deal. 13 cent a day (rounded up). We are going to regret losing this 4th estate, and not just for sports coverage.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:46 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:18 pm
I kept the 7 day print version of the Greensboro paper until the spring and dropped back to the e-edition except for a print edition on Sunday. $45 a year. I bet WSJ has the same deal. 13 cent a day (rounded up). We are going to regret losing this 4th estate, and not just for sports coverage.
The 7-day print edition was going to be around $360 and for the 6 staff still in the Greensboro office it and mostly AP newswire it is not worth that cost but $45 it is worth it to keep the paper around. I thought about picking up the WSJ digital edition during football season to show support to Ethan.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Funny thing is I just subscribed to the E Edition last week……

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:21 pm

The parent company of the Journal bought out their Wake Forest beat writer in the last year and re-assigned Ethan to cover both App and Wake. Wake was at home this past weekend, so he was there.

You can tell on Twitter than Ethan isn't happy with this new split-coverage model and I don't blame him. Zoom helps, but it's not the same as being there and I'm sure it's affecting him mentally.

Declining print revenues are part of it, but a major thing is that these corporate newspaper owners that own dozens of papers (a lot of mid to large sized newspapers are going into fewer hands) will make cuts at the first sign of trouble or perceived trouble. It doesn't matter if one paper in a chain is doing well financially, if there's another that's struggling and losing money or even if they didn't make as much profit as anticipated, it affects both equally and that newspaper that's doing good isn't getting the fruits of their labor.

When I left my previous (corporate-owned) newspaper job in March 2020 due to having my pay cut 25% because of "forecasted" sales losses due to the pandemic by corporate, they didn't fill that position until January 2021. I'm now at a locally-owned newspaper and so glad to not be at a corporate-owned paper.

I had a convo a few years ago with the then-Charlotte Observer sports editor. He said that they provide Hornets, Panthers and NASCAR copy to the other papers while the WSJ would provide Wake, App and other college teams coverage and they wouldn't duplicate efforts to cut down on costs.

I don't know if emailing or subscribing to the WSJ and asking for more App coverage will help as I don't know what their sports coverage mindset is going forward, but it won't hurt.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:52 pm

You pay for the news you get. Local news survives on local ads and subscriptions. But generally write about things that matter to you and I.

A nationally owned agency isn’t going to pay a journalist to go investigate a local water issue when they can run the same story about a soufflé recipe across all their prints at 1/10th the cost.

The market reacts to the consumer, we get what we ask for!
YNWA

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:14 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:17 pm
Greensboro had an article but I think it was an AP newswire.Maybe the newspaper can't afford to send Ethan to Atlanta and they could also not afford to pay for ESPN+ either.
Wake is a top 10 team and plays unc-ch. The journal has only Ethan. Crazy is that they don't have the money (space) to print the stuff that Brett Strielo writes and sends to them.

Local businesses don't buy ads in newspapers anymore and Mark Zuckerberg doesn't give a rat's ass what he propagates throughout the world and profits from.
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:20 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:21 pm
The parent company of the Journal bought out their Wake Forest beat writer in the last year and re-assigned Ethan to cover both App and Wake. Wake was at home this past weekend, so he was there.

You can tell on Twitter than Ethan isn't happy with this new split-coverage model and I don't blame him. Zoom helps, but it's not the same as being there and I'm sure it's affecting him mentally.

Declining print revenues are part of it, but a major thing is that these corporate newspaper owners that own dozens of papers (a lot of mid to large sized newspapers are going into fewer hands) will make cuts at the first sign of trouble or perceived trouble. It doesn't matter if one paper in a chain is doing well financially, if there's another that's struggling and losing money or even if they didn't make as much profit as anticipated, it affects both equally and that newspaper that's doing good isn't getting the fruits of their labor.

When I left my previous (corporate-owned) newspaper job in March 2020 due to having my pay cut 25% because of "forecasted" sales losses due to the pandemic by corporate, they didn't fill that position until January 2021. I'm now at a locally-owned newspaper and so glad to not be at a corporate-owned paper.

I had a convo a few years ago with the then-Charlotte Observer sports editor. He said that they provide Hornets, Panthers and NASCAR copy to the other papers while the WSJ would provide Wake, App and other college teams coverage and they wouldn't duplicate efforts to cut down on costs.

I don't know if emailing or subscribing to the WSJ and asking for more App coverage will help as I don't know what their sports coverage mindset is going forward, but it won't hurt.
They don't accept calls. I subscribed a couple of years ago to support Ethan. When I wanted to stop the online edition monthly charges I went online to cancel. There was no option so I sent email. Nothing happened. Next month went through same exercise. Nothing. Finally called Amex and they stopped the charge for me.

Everyone really needs to support the company that owns the watauga Democrat, mountain times and blowing rocket. They don't have a paywall you can subscribe to it online edition but you can also send them what they call a "donation". I've sent them a donation and the publisher for all three papers sends a handwritten thank you note obviously it looks like someone else is writing the note but he signed it. I think that was for like a $15 donation. Those are stand up people that support the university right there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”