Peacock stepping down

T-Dog

Peacock stepping down

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Peacock stepping down

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Dr. Ken Peacock was the architect of every bit of prosperity App State has enjoyed over the past decade.

I'm physically ill after hearing this news.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:20 pm

This is such odd timing... Peacock has been a wonderful chancellor for this university, and whoever is appointed to replace him will have huge shoes to fill. Really hate to see him go. 9 years is a relatively short tenure for a chancellor, as well.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 pm

The fact that he gave no ending date indicates that this is most likely not because of performance or a scandal, not the I would think that's the case anyway.

Didn't he have a health scare (heart or fatigue) in the last two years?

I have fond memories of Ken. He was the Dean that hired me, as Provost he asked me to run for the Favukty Senate, and always was happy to say hello since I left ASU. He was also the perfect antidote to the previous administration. Without him there is no doubt in my mind ASU would be enjoying much less succes both academically and athletically.

I can only wish hint the best b

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:31 pm

appstategrad2008 wrote:This is such odd timing... Peacock has been a wonderful chancellor for this university, and whoever is appointed to replace him will have huge shoes to fill. Really hate to see him go. 9 years is a relatively short tenure for a chancellor, as well.
The timing is actually spot on for high level administrators to step down. The full terms are winding down and it gives several months for a search committee to be formed and begin work at the beginning of the Fall semester with a new Chancelor coming on board to start the Fall of 2015.

This announcement now allows for a very orderly search and transition.

appstategrad2008

Unread post by appstategrad2008 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:33 pm

He certainly has an eye (and memory) for faces... I saw him at an App function out here in L.A. about a year ago, and he 100% recognized me. And I'm not a guy who worked for him, donated by the thousands to ASU, or was super exposed as a student. I was just one of the masses who had spoken to him in passing a couple of times while I was a student. Given all of that, he was able to recognize and remember me. The fact that he could do that really makes a person feel special and even more willing to give your all for Appalachian.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Terrible news. Appalachian will miss him for sure.

I feel fortunate to have been a student when Dr. Peacock served as chancellor. My fondest Peacock related memory/experience was during my junior year as I was walking to an event at the Broyhill Inn from App Heights. Peacock was scheduled to attend as well, and ended up passing me in his car on the way up. He stopped his car and generously offered to give me and my friend a ride! Pretty cool - getting to ride with Ken Peacock and his wife in his personal car for a bit.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Talk about a shocking announcement from Boone. The past few years have been very stressful for Chancellor Peacock, but I never thought he would step down at this point. Hopefully this isn't a result of a few outspoken naysayers in the faculty. Appalachian is a much better place now than when he took over in 2004. I'm really thankful we have accepted an invitation to FBS before he left office. I will always be proud to have his name on my diploma as a member of the first graduating class after he became Chancellor. Big loss for App.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Sad to see him go.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Simply put, this sucks for us. :(

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Wow.. kick in the shorts on hearing this. I hope all is well with him. He will be missed. Wow.. there went my Thursday. Mad respect for the guy.. wow.

Note to search committee... standards will be high for a highly interactive, caring and deeply rooted successor to be hired. No more of the drones from the past... please... if they can't get in among the students, faculty, fans and staff, and enjoy it... then we don't want them.
Twitter: @wxcrum

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 pm

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! Peacock is the man. I remember when he replaced Mr Personality Boringkowski. Damn it, I cant believe this. I hope his health is not the reason but if it is I wish him rest and relaxation. Man, this sucks.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow! Started at App in 1983 which gives him 30 years in the system. I'm just thankful we've got different people calling the shots these days on the BOT. I'm sure they'll get us another good one. Great job Chancellor. Thanks for all you've done for ASU! Like someone else said, next person has some very big shoes to fill!
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:33 pm

I was fortunate to get to know Ken Peacock well during my time in the Walker COB. He was just beginning his transition from faculty to administration while I was there. I was, and still am, a huge fan of his. He loves ASU and it is, no doubt, a much better place for having had him there for 30 years. This is a big loss for Appalachian, but I can only wish him the best in the future and offer my appreciation and thanks for all he has done for ASU.

My favorite memory of Dr. Peacock is sitting in an 8 am Non-profit Accounting course taught by Jim Jones when Peacock walks into the room carrying a goat. He placed the goat on the lectern and it immiediately placed its hooves on the podium and stood there staring at the class. We were all stunned at what we were seeing and Peacock brought the house down when he said, "Look Jones, these kids can't tell the new goat from the old goat."

Whoever is on the search committee has got a tough job ahead of them.

AppGrad1

Unread post by AppGrad1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm

How many of you got to wear one of his championship rings over the years for a picture?
I did... He loved to share those rings.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm

AppGrad1 wrote:How many of you got to wear one of his championship rings over the years for a picture?
I did... He loved to share those rings.
My dad dropped Peacock's 2005 one in the Greenwood parking lot when he was trying to take it off to give it back. Got stuck on his finger and the extra force caused it to shoot off. We were all like "OMG" and my dad was apologizing left and right and Peacock just laughed it off and said its OK. I always enjoyed getting to talk to him.

My best memory is on my graduation day. I was the very last person to walk across the stage for the Walker COB graduation and when I shook Peacock's hand he looked at me and said no you're the last one give me a hug! I almost lifted him off the ground when I did haha.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Ken Peacock has been a wonderful Chancellor for ASU and has generated more goodwill among alumni than most outside folks can imagine. This has been rumored for a while -- and nowadays, 10 years for a Chancellor/President is a pretty good stint; probably longer than the average length of time. It is a job that is far more grueling and filled with pressure than many realize. I think he wanted to essentially see this current capital campaign done before he stepped down, and given that it will probably take a year to find a replacement, he will probably/hopefully be able to see the campaign goal hit before he exits.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Since he's going out on his own terms (no interim chancellor) it seems like he's ready to enjoy retirement. He's got 30 years at App State so he'll be getting some nice checks for the rest of his life.

Sometimes it's best to get out while you're ahead. I'm sure the last few years of fighting to save jobs and funds has taken its toll though.

StumpyCulbreath

Unread post by StumpyCulbreath » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 pm

I can't blame him a bit for leaving. He's going out after overseeing unprecedented growth, making bold moves, and raising the profile of the school. And seriously, who would want to run a university in NC right now...

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Dr. Peacock was my teacher in the 80’s and faculty advisor on a west coast accounting society trip. I’m so thankful for the influence he had on my career and so many students who studied at ASU. He always talks with me or my boys (one now an ASU student) when we see him on campus. He loves Appalachian and helped our school make tremendous strides in all aspects during his 9 years as Chancellor and 20 years as teacher and dean. His retirement is a tremendous loss for ASU. However, I share others optimism that our BOT will make another solid choice to replace him as Chancellor. Thanks Dr. Peacock for your vision and leadership for the school we all love! You have truly made a difference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”