Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Another haunt bites the dust

Oldlknapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Another haunt bites the dust

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:49 am

I find it interesting that many post are about stadium expansion, ability to pay NIL, recruiting, coaching, etc., - all the things associated with an expanding alumni, enrollment and community base... and at the same time lamenting about losing the small town, small college places we enjoyed. I don’t think we can have it both ways.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 am

Look at all we've added!!! AMB, Booneshine, Lost Provence..... 4 lane roads on both 321 and 421............I have no problem with the growth and progress....

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am

I like all the character that Boone has had over the years. The hole in the wall joints, everything in between. I too hate to see some go, but, anyone who has ever started and run a business in any capacity knows that change is inevitable and to survive you have to adapt and be flexible. What worked in a college town 30-40 yrs ago may not work in 2020's (i.e. PB Scotts). The owners have to figure out a way to adjust or you don't survive. Sometimes there are things out of your control. That may be due to customers, local politics, competition, labor, etc. One thing that has hit retail/restaurants especially hard is Covid and how various governments have reacted. This was awful for retail business owners and something very different than all the other factors. That last point aside, hopefully somebody with a new cool business idea will start a new tradition.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:31 am

Portofino building owners propose demolition following closure...closed Jan. 11.

According to the Boone Town Council agenda for Feb. 3, the property owners, Rivers Street Ventures, LLC proposed “redevelopment of the parcel with a smaller commercial building adjacent to Rivers Street.”

per The Appalachian
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:46 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 am
Look at all we've added!!! AMB, Booneshine, Lost Provence..... 4 lane roads on both 321 and 421............I have no problem with the growth and progress....
As long as it’s regulated growth. We are headed toward the entire town looking like Blowing Rock Rd.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 am

Boone is going to look like Asheville eventually.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:57 am

Things change, sometimes change is rough. I could do with a Yogi's turkey grinder, Buck's Biscuit, Holly Farms Taters, Mountain house breakfast, Chanelo's/Sollecito's pizza, Buzz City special right now.
Time marches on, very little left from my time up there and that includes all the new buildings at App. Guess I'll have to console myself with a Jean Lawson and some onion soup from Peppers. Oh forgot, different building/location. Oh well, Howard's Knob... never mind the road is paved and there is a park up there now.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:08 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:12 am
What do we think will happen with that property? It’s a big building with lots of parking in a desirable location. Any chance a local business will buy it and carry on or will it get bought up by an evil corporation?
Great place for a brewery.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:12 pm

I still miss a Big E burger.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:53 pm

Thank goodness there are still…Peppers, Red Onion, and Dan’l Boone Inn among others still operating.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:57 am
Things change, sometimes change is rough. I could do with a Yogi's turkey grinder, Buck's Biscuit, Holly Farms Taters, Mountain house breakfast, Chanelo's/Sollecito's pizza, Buzz City special right now.
Time marches on, very little left from my time up there and that includes all the new buildings at App. Guess I'll have to console myself with a Jean Lawson and some onion soup from Peppers. Oh forgot, different building/location. Oh well, Howard's Knob... never mind the road is paved and there is a park up there now.
AppTiger and everyone...I feel the pain, also, but my advice is to enjoy it while you can and keep some good pics along the years to reflect on later in your lives. The change won't stop in your lifetimes unless Chinese. North Korean, Turkish, Iranian, Pakistani and/or Russian nuclear weapons turn the Blue Ridge Mtns into the world's deepest burning gravel crater. In the absence of a War of the World, wait until you've been to your Alumni Reunion celebrating the 50th anniversary of your undergrad school graduation. The town & campus sights and sounds will simply stun you (even though many/if not most of you will be just like us and) will have visited The High Country and campus at least three or more times a month every year and have kept up with the goings-on almost religiously.

Been there--done that. My bride and I can count the campus structures that have survived since we arrived as freshmen in mid-August of '66 on one hand.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:19 pm

The best time to be at App, is when you are at App. The student body has not changed that much, they are the same age they have always been, well for the most part, there was a time when you only had eleven grades to attend to receive a high school diploma. The people are what makes App special not the places, although geographic location does play a part in what makes App so special. I do not think it would be the same if it were somewhere other than Boone, N.C. (weather is just as crazy as it has ever been) (I mean who else would have thought to make the alumni and student body the mascot, Yosef?)

You have to be a special kind of person to be an Appalachian State Mountaineer. I hope that never changes...

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:02 pm

Buzz City .....yeah , oh yeah....

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:16 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:19 pm
The best time to be at App, is when you are at App. The student body has not changed that much, they are the same age they have always been, well for the most part, there was a time when you only had eleven grades to attend to receive a high school diploma. The people are what makes App special not the places, although geographic location does play a part in what makes App so special. I do not think it would be the same if it were somewhere other than Boone, N.C. (weather is just as crazy as it has ever been) (I mean who else would have thought to make the alumni and student body the mascot, Yosef?)

You have to be a special kind of person to be an Appalachian State Mountaineer. I hope that never changes...
I’m quoting this so those who missed it can read it again. As this season’s trailer asked…”What is it about these mountains?”
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:55 pm

Apptiger wrote:
Guess I'll have to console myself with a Jean Lawson and some onion soup from Peppers. Oh forgot, different building/location.
Well, at least give Jack credit for decorating the new restaurant with all of the fixtures from the old one on Blowing Rock Rd.

I believe there will always be good local eateries in the High Country. Even those we've lost places like Portofino and Sollecitos, other cool places like 1180, Ransoms Pub, FARM & Lost Province have opened.

Time and progress march on, muchachos.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 pm

LOL. People posting about all the “old” hole in the wall joints. In the “old days” when many of us were in school, there was no alcohol in Boone. There were no old joints. Each generation of Mountaineers will have their version of what makes Boone a special place. And it will continue to be a special place.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:23 pm

There are plenty of people who miss Klondike, and plenty who don't miss it at all...

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:45 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:23 pm
There are plenty of people who miss Klondike, and plenty who don't miss it at all...
It did not matter if was day or night, no matter how cold it was, it always seemed like someone was outside drinking.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:33 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:08 pm
Apptiger wrote:
AppTiger and everyone...I feel the pain, also, but my advice is to enjoy it while you can and keep some good pics along the years to reflect on later in your lives. The change won't stop in your lifetimes unless Chinese. North Korean, Turkish, Iranian, Pakistani and/or Russian nuclear weapons turn the Blue Ridge Mtns into the world's deepest burning gravel crater. In the absence of a War of the World, wait until you've been to your Alumni Reunion celebrating the 50th anniversary of your undergrad school graduation. The town & campus sights and sounds will simply stun you (even though many/if not most of you will be just like us and) will have visited The High Country and campus at least three or more times a month every year and have kept up with the goings-on almost religiously.

Been there--done that. My bride and I can count the campus structures that have survived since we arrived as freshmen in mid-August of '66 on one hand.
LOL I still need two hands, probably not much longer though. And agree AppWyo, the people make the place.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:09 pm

I was in Boone at App pre and post-beer/wine sales (83-88). Pepper's, Macado's and Makoto's are the only ones still around from that era to my knowledge. I think Klondike was there by the time I left, but am not sure. Also pretty sure liquor by the drink was never available during my time.

Edit to add: Murphy's/Ransom.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”