Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New 600 car Holmes Deck

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

New 600 car Holmes Deck

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:31 pm

The 600 vehicle parking deck will support daily parking as well as parking for athletic and other university events. The site for the parking deck was originally approved in 2014, but the project was not “executed due to other constraints at the time,” according to the meeting materials.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/as ... 3f66a.html

Good stuff.

I am curious if the 700 space deck beside of Peacock is still a go?

BeauFoster

Re: New 600 car Holmes Deck

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm

App has to continue adding parking just to support enrollment. I’d have to guess that the Peacock deck will come in the next couple years, max.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:57 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm
App has to continue adding parking just to support enrollment. I’d have to guess that the Peacock deck will come in the next couple years, max.
Probably after they get the surface lots on the Stadium side of campus done.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:59 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:48 pm
The P3 partner RISEre did have it listed on their website as part of the overall project with the dorms which I thought was very interesting. The other thing that's interesting is when you go to the university's planning website there's now a bid out for the peacock hall renovation which is actually more like it's an addition of 50,000 square feet and it mentions a bridged walkway as part of the proposal for the design. On the AppState Future website under the Boone Creek daylighting project the design of the parking deck has the peacock edition sitting on top of the parking deck with a bridge to the existing peacock building.

https://www.appstate.edu/appalachians-f ... one-creek/

https://pdc.appstate.edu/rfps

Here is the RISEre that mentions phase 3 having Peacock Parking Deck:

https://risere.com/project/appalachian- ... niversity/
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:04 pm

If on top, can they add a roof top bar like The Horton? We want the students to have the full college experience😁
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:08 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:04 pm
If on top, can they add a roof top bar like The Horton? We want the students to have the full college experience😁
From what I understand this peacock edition is going to have a whole lot of meeting space and things where a lot of the corporate employers come to speak and to meet with students.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 pm

I want to see the creek daylighted more than anything. That creek needs to run free and be a point of pride in the environmental side of App State which already does a lot to be proud of in this area. We can do more and this would be big.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:56 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:25 pm
I want to see the creek daylighted more than anything. That creek needs to run free and be a point of pride in the environmental side of App State which already does a lot to be proud of in this area. We can do more and this would be big.
Boone Creek daylighting and the Peacock Parking Pavilion absoultely need to happen. But it will still make me sad.

RIP to one of the best tailgating lots in college football period when this happens. We'll all be too spread out or in parking decks to make it like it was. It will be sad my children will never see stadium/raley (1 18 month old 1 on the way) in their full glory.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 pm

Me too. With stadium lot gone and once the peacock lot is gone campus is going to be beyond beautiful. Rivers street has always given a bad impression of campus. It is getting better little by little and that parking lot is the last and most impactful project as well as the obvious environmental impact.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:09 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:56 pm
Boone Creek daylighting and the Peacock Parking Pavilion absoultely need to happen. But it will still make me sad.

RIP to one of the best tailgating lots in college football period when this happens. We'll all be too spread out or in parking decks to make it like it was. It will be sad my children will never see stadium/raley (1 18 month old 1 on the way) in their full glory.
Hopefully the new surface lots at former Gardner/Coultrane and Bowie/Eggers will come to be even better replacements.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:11 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:56 pm

Raley during the championship run, which also coincided with my time App was an absolute BLAST. That atmosphere will never be replicated. I have so many lifelong memories from those tailgates... and many I wish I could remember :lol: :lol:

It could get downright dangerous if a fan of the opposing team strolled through talking smack.

GO APPS!!

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:07 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 pm
Me too. With stadium lot gone and once the peacock lot is gone campus is going to be beyond beautiful. Rivers street has always given a bad impression of campus. It is getting better little by little and that parking lot is the last and most impactful project as well as the obvious environmental impact.
maybe we can make jimmy smith park the powerhouse urban park it really is on the inside.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm

Has anyone seen any drawings showing where the deck near Holmes will be located?

asu2000

Unread post by asu2000 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:33 pm

AppYosef! wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm
Has anyone seen any drawings showing where the deck near Holmes will be located?
Haven't seen a plan, but guessing the smallish lot behind the Holmes Dome, I think the university owns some land in the woods around that lot as well, etc. If there is a sky bridge it would most likely go over the short road the runs in behind the Dome. That's my guess because and as far as I know they do not own the land where Hardees/Boones Pizza is, unless that has just been a new deal.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:42 am

asu2000 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:33 pm
AppYosef! wrote:
Haven't seen a plan, but guessing the smallish lot behind the Holmes Dome, I think the university owns some land in the woods around that lot as well, etc. If there is a sky bridge it would most likely go over the short road the runs in behind the Dome. That's my guess because and as far as I know they do not own the land where Hardees/Boones Pizza is, unless that has just been a new deal.
Thanks! After a little digging I found this map and figure it will be in one of the two areas circled in red...most likely the smaller lot closest to the Holmes Center.
Holmes Lots.jpg

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:17 am

AppYosef! wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:42 am
asu2000 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:33 pm
AppYosef! wrote:
Thanks! After a little digging I found this map and figure it will be in one of the two areas circled in red...most likely the smaller lot closest to the Holmes Center.
Holmes Lots.jpg
That's a pretty steep walk up Hill Street to that lot. I think that with mention of possible walkway bridge and reworking of streets that is likely the placement.

I bet Holmes Street is eliminated entirely and Hill Street gets moved slightly into the parking lot directly beside of the John Thomas building and deck goes in the area of The lot you circled and where hill street currently sits.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:42 am

What's the actual gain in spaces for the price tag?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:47 am

GreatAppSt wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:42 am
Great question. From a football parking perspective, it’s needed to accommodate season ticket holders for sure.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:10 am

GreatAppSt wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:42 am
I hypothesize that it would be about $40,000 per space. There's about a hundred spots in the surface lot now so you're gaining 500 spots with the deck and your spending 20 million dollars.

So when you look at the life of a parking deck it's pretty damn pricey. Those spaces need to turn about $1,000 a year for a 40-year depreciation.....

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:16 am

With the Quinn being taken for B/VBall practice, the hope is that will open some more dates for the Holmes Center to run profit-events more often.
The main things that have stopped them in the past is the amount of dates taken by athletics and the parking situation.
With the Quinn and the deck, it would be hoped that running more profit-events would allow them to be able to generate funds to help pay for the deck and fund some renovations to the HCC.

Unless football is paying for the parking, FB is at the bottom of the list of this project and it is more the final phase of the original plan of the HCC. One that the funds or the space was not available for when the building was first built.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”