Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hotels for Meeting at App

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Hotels for Meeting at App

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:50 am

My parting gift last spring as the president of the North Carolina Physics Teachers was to make sure App State hosted a meeting as it has been about a decade. The meeting is planned for 10-11 November 2023.

I think most will travel up 421 but some with travel up 321 and for those that plan to attend Friday and Saturday many will need a hotel. What recommendation would anyone want to give realizing that some staying overnight will be high school teachers and likely paying for all of this out of pocket. If you gave a recommendation for both 321 and 421 traffic what would it be.

When I hosted the Greensboro meeting last fall I reserved a dozen rooms. The last time App hosted the meeting was one of the bigger meetings but that is partly due to bringing in folks to the mountains and we were honoring Dr. Mamola. Post COVID the meetings are smaller but again with Boone hosting in the fall we may attract a larger crowd.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am helping with some of the planning and some or maybe most of the work is likely going to be done by officers of the organization and not the AAPT members in Boone. I may have a question about food and catering in a few days.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

BambooRdApp

Re: Hotels for Meeting at App

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:05 pm

If a non-gameday, the hotels in the Boone are pretty reasonable.
If you do not care about driving from Blowing Rock to Boone...the boutique hotels in Blowing Rock are the best deals...and should be given post the peak of fall foliage. My wife and I have started staying in BR for gamedays as it is significantly cheaper than Boone. We have stayed at Victoria Inn (B&B) ad the Alpine Village or Alpine Inn. They are pretty much no frills hotels, however, you can walk up to main street BR for breakfast, etc.

From a humor perspective...if you have members that do not travel 421 from Wilkesboro to Boone often...that is not a time to be a speed demon given the 4 lanes of 421. My wife and I rented a home in Deep Gap for the last week and a half as our daughter was transitioning from one apartment to another....we were at the top of the mountain that included a view of 421 in the distance...all I can say is that there were continuous blue lights in the distance where troopers were stopping people..it is a gold mine for NC State Troopers....reminds me of going through Emporia, Va. on I-95. :D :D
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:24 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:05 pm
If a non-gameday, the hotels in the Boone are pretty reasonable.
If you do not care about driving from Blowing Rock to Boone...the boutique hotels in Blowing Rock are the best deals...and should be given post the peak of fall foliage. My wife and I have started staying in BR for gamedays as it is significantly cheaper than Boone. We have stayed at Victoria Inn (B&B) ad the Alpine Village or Alpine Inn. They are pretty much no frills hotels, however, you can walk up to main street BR for breakfast, etc.

From a humor perspective...if you have members that do not travel 421 from Wilkesboro to Boone often...that is not a time to be a speed demon given the 4 lanes of 421. My wife and I rented a home in Deep Gap for the last week and a half as our daughter was transitioning from one apartment to another....we were at the top of the mountain that included a view of 421 in the distance...all I can say is that there were continuous blue lights in the distance where troopers were stopping people..it is a gold mind for NC State Troopers....reminds me of going through Emporia, Va. on I-95. :D :D
We made sure to not even attempt a home football Saturday It seems the MBB are at NIU on the 11 November date, which is good as we will be in Garwood Hall and using the River Street parking deck. WBB may be home on the 11th with a TBD for time. I am not worried about that event. VB is away at UL. The only real issue is football and we made sure to work around that.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:06 pm

Cliff dwellers inn and Green park inn have also been my go to for a “cheaper” option.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:56 pm

579 Greenway Rd, Suite 101
Boone, North Carolina 28607
United States

By all means give David Jackson a heads-up at the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce office. Not every event the Chamber gets involved with draws hundreds of participants.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:02 pm

As others have said non-football weekends are pretty reasonable. I'd mention don't forget Blowing Rock...don't know the details of your meeting, as in if there's down time....but I used to stay in BR for App games and loved how walkable everything was. If they want to splurge there's that hotel on King St...$$ but it's cool and walkable to everything there. Some good Air B&B's too.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:05 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:56 pm

579 Greenway Rd, Suite 101
Boone, North Carolina 28607
United States

By all means give David Jackson a heads-up at the Boone Area Chamber of Commerce office. Not every event the Chamber gets involved with draws hundreds of participants.
Good idea actually.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 am

Too bad Boone Trail Motel and Apts is no longer open. You could rent those by the hour.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:12 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:06 am
Too bad Boone Trail Motel and Apts is no longer open. You could rent those by the hour.
I never needed that much time.................

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:27 am

I am not sure a bunch of physics teachers and mostly tenured professors need a rent by the hour hotel. R. Feynman passed away and was not involved with our section.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:25 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:06 pm
Cliff dwellers inn and Green park inn have also been my go to for a “cheaper” option.
How is the Green Park? I’ve always been intrigued by it but never been inside. Thinking about a trip to Blowing Rock in December.
WE ARE YOSEF!

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:25 pm

Good place to pay to park your car back in the early 70's also!

Those were the days!?

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:42 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:25 am
ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:06 pm
How is the Green Park? I’ve always been intrigued by it but never been inside. Thinking about a trip to Blowing Rock in December.
It is remodeled enough to enjoy but still has the historic feel. The rooms also feel bigger to me than a typical hotel room. They also allow pets which is really the main amenity to me.
Plus it is supposedly haunted, so a great opportunity to scare your spouse or kids.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:29 am

Did you find a place yet? My niece is in charge of sales for a few hotels and they have meeting space. Feel free to pvt me with your contact info and I can call you and pass it on to her.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:10 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:29 am
Did you find a place yet? My niece is in charge of sales for a few hotels and they have meeting space. Feel free to pvt me with your contact info and I can call you and pass it on to her.
I have not had a chance to work on this much actually. We don't need meeting space as we will use the Plemmons possibly and the Solarium for Friday evening I assume. We just need a block of rooms and hopefully can get a small discount with not obligation to purchase leftover rooms. I'll send more info in a few days or this weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”