Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Opening day in Hickory

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Opening day in Hickory

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:07 pm

https://hickoryrecord.com/news/local/ed ... 6kSnU54-XU
Still pushing the false narrative of that damn bell. And did they drag the Boone bell down to Hickory or does the Hickory campus have their own bell history to start? I need answers.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

1ASU78

Re: Opening day in Hickory

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:38 pm

At least it didn’t have some cooked up story about touching the bell before exams! The brothers could have had a bell for communication to students. The furniture factories in the town I grew up near had loud whistles to start the day, beginning and end break, lunch and quitting time.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:05 pm

I never heard about the bell until I read the article. I also had never never heard anything about Lillie Shull Dougherty.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:07 pm
Still pushing the false narrative of that damn bell. And did they drag the Boone bell down to Hickory or does the Hickory campus have their own bell history to start? I need answers.
Can you assert that a bell was not used to signal the beginning of class in the early days?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:36 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm
Can you assert that a bell was not used to signal the beginning of class in the early days?

noun
noun: tradition

the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.
"every shade of color is fixed by tradition and governed by religious laws"

It may have been used 120 years ago but it seems to have skipped the generations of everyone on this board. I think it would not be a tradition since the definition does not seem to allow for skipping generations but moving from generation to generation.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:51 pm

CVAPP wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:05 pm
I never heard about the bell until I read the article. I also had never never heard anything about Lillie Shull Dougherty.
She was there at the beginning it seems. Her daughter did not die until 2001 at the age of 98.

https://www.hcpress.com/front-page/lill ... rsity.html

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/522 ... -dougherty

Her husband was D.D. and he clearly had the best name of any college founder ever.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 pm

hapapp wrote:
I can…I’m that old

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:55 pm

That was the lore from decades ago , and I do mean decades...

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:12 am

I remember them telling me the thing about the bell during a pre-freshman visit to campus or orientation, I can't remember which one. They really try to push the narrative. I was quickly told by a sophomore like the 1st day I was there that that wasn't a thing.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:12 am
I remember them telling me the thing about the bell during a pre-freshman visit to campus or orientation, I can't remember which one. They really try to push the narrative. I was quickly told by a sophomore like the 1st day I was there that that wasn't a thing.
On the one hand it is full on LOL in how this bell narrative plays out and then every alumni is like, "WTF?"

On the other hand it is sort of endearing how they really want to make this be a thing. Sort of like a much younger step-brother looking up to an older step-brother that is too old to bond with a new family as he has his own life since he is a young adult living his own life and it was his father that married a much younger women that could be the older step-brothers girlfriend given her age. You sort of feel for and want to root for the youngster but deep down you just know it is not going to happen. (In this analogy, Dr. Everts may or may be the older father or the young child. The bell may be the young new wife. I am a bit confused myself. McLAppFan is clearly the person standing off to the side making remarks about how sorry JMU and GaSo both are.)

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:49 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 pm
hapapp wrote:
I can…I’m that old
I don't think you're that old.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:53 am

Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 am
On the one hand it is full on LOL in how this bell narrative plays out and then every alumni is like, "WTF?"

On the other hand it is sort of endearing how they really want to make this be a thing. Sort of like a much younger step-brother looking up to an older step-brother that is too old to bond with a new family as he has his own life since he is a young adult living his own life and it was his father that married a much younger women that could be the older step-brothers girlfriend given her age. You sort of feel for and want to root for the youngster but deep down you just know it is not going to happen. (In this analogy, Dr. Everts may or may be the older father or the young child. The bell may be the young new wife. I am a bit confused myself. McLAppFan is clearly the person standing off to the side making remarks about how sorry JMU and GaSo both are.)
Clearly, it is not something that has carried on through the years. I was there in the 60's and 70's had never heard any that with the bell. But, I see nothing wrong with trying to revive something from origins of the school. The touching for exams I have some doubt about, but I could see the possibility that it was used to signal the beginning of classes back at the turn of the 20th century.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:09 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:53 am
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 am

Clearly, it is not something that has carried on through the years. I was there in the 60's and 70's had never heard any that with the bell. But, I see nothing wrong with trying to revive something from origins of the school. The touching for exams I have some doubt about, but I could see the possibility that it was used to signal the beginning of classes back at the turn of the 20th century.
It likely was used for time keeping but I just wonder where it was hidden for so many decades. It would just be more likely to catch on by stating, "We used to ..., and we are bringing it back." If it was from the time Kidd Brewer was the coach then no one is around to argue or vouch it did NOT happen, so we can assume it did happen. Here on YC, it seems we have the years from the 1960s to the last decade covered that it was NOT a tradition.

This could be some joke Wikipedia page with a picture of the bell and a bunch of made up stories just to make it seem real, and it would be read for laughs, as we all know it is a false narrative for every one still living. But it would be a great inside joke.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:19 am

I was at App in the mid 70's. I remember the bell being rung after football victories.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:55 am

I had my bell rung a few times................

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:01 pm

Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:51 pm
CVAPP wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:05 pm
She was there at the beginning it seems. Her daughter did not die until 2001 at the age of 98.

https://www.hcpress.com/front-page/lill ... rsity.html

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/522 ... -dougherty

Her husband was D.D. and he clearly had the best name of any college founder ever.
He could have had a professional wrestling career as Triple D. His signature move: The Disco Dauphin . His catch phrase: Who am I going to dance the Tennesseee Waltz on tonight?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”