Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Freshman Admission rates 2023 across conferences

Saint3333

Re: Freshman Admission rates 2023 across conferences

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:22 pm

brocktune90 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:35 pm
Acceptance rate is a nothing-burger that people think presents them as being a better or smarter place. Standardized tests like the SAT/ACT are not equitable and should not be used to predict potential success in college. I want my university to focus on the students that stand to benefit from a college education. That includes many first generation college students who may be good self-motivated students but don't have the family support. Why do schools tell high school students "you're not good enough" especially when these are young folks who may have had competing priorities, such as jobs or caring for family, or a simple and understandable lack of maturity.

What limits the number of student's that schools should admit? Number of faculty? Number of dorm rooms? These are hardly things to brag about.
One metric I'd like to see schools measured on is what socioeconomic class or percentage their graduate achieves 10 years after college versus their parents.

While that isn't everything in life it in a good indication if the return on investment was worth it.

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:39 pm

Do schools (including App) really have a hard cap on the number of students they admit every year? I'm thinking the answer is no. There aren't enough dorms at App to accommodate the number of freshmen and classes full up quickly and students invariably take courses that they really don't need. Someone please convince me otherwise.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:11 pm

biggie wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:17 am
I assume we still have a good number of applicants but we have been increasing our freshman classes recently, so that may be why it is higher.

My daughter is a jr in HS and is looking around. I was shocked that Chapel Hill and App seem to have a large difference admission "requirements". CH wants 1350 on SAT and 4.0 unweighted GPA, my old self use to consider that Dook territory.
I'd bet that the large majority on here wouldn't get in APP by today's standards if they were era to era scores comparison.

btw, CH in a long time hasn't wanted the the boy from NC.
BLACK SATURDAY

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:29 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:22 pm
brocktune90 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:35 pm
Acceptance rate is a nothing-burger that people think presents them as being a better or smarter place. Standardized tests like the SAT/ACT are not equitable and should not be used to predict potential success in college. I want my university to focus on the students that stand to benefit from a college education. That includes many first generation college students who may be good self-motivated students but don't have the family support. Why do schools tell high school students "you're not good enough" especially when these are young folks who may have had competing priorities, such as jobs or caring for family, or a simple and understandable lack of maturity.

What limits the number of student's that schools should admit? Number of faculty? Number of dorm rooms? These are hardly things to brag about.
One metric I'd like to see schools measured on is what socioeconomic class or percentage their graduate achieves 10 years after college versus their parents.

While that isn't everything in life it in a good indication if the return on investment was worth it.
Bennett College in Greensboro does a good job of that. And of course they lose SACS accreditation while Others cheat and keep their accreditation.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”