Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Passenger Rail study funding from 2023 Q3 and 2024 Q1

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Passenger Rail study funding from 2023 Q3 and 2024 Q1

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:28 am

Back in December, NC did pretty good with some state supported routes being funded for study and major funding from Richmond to Raleigh was funded to begin work. Earlier in the week the FRA released some proposed long distance routes. Nothing guaranteed but one proposed route would run from Chattanooga through Johnson City to Roanoke. The complete route seems to be Houston to New York City.

That would put Amtrak just over an hour from Boone. Currently the closest stations are 1 hr 50 min to either Greensboro or Charlotte. When the Asheville to Salisbury passenger train starts a station will be either in Hickory or Conover and even closer from Boone to passenger rail.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

spacemonkey

Re: Passenger Rail study funding from 2023 Q3 and 2024 Q1

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:15 pm

More people need to visit Europe and they would be excited about the possibility and would maybe vote for more rail transportation. There are a lot of great things about Europe to visit, but the trains stand out in my mind more than anything. It is amazing what taxes can do if used properly.

Every Interstate in America should have a railroad track in between the two lane Interstates or beside them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:29 pm

Unless it is with high speed option, like Eurostar or similar, I question demand to use.
The Acela (sp?) from DC to NYC still takes too long in my opinion..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:38 pm

Our government isn’t serious about mass transit. Too busy spending money outside of the country.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:45 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:38 pm
Our government isn’t serious about mass transit. Too busy spending money outside of the country.
Amongst other shortcomings.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:15 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:29 pm
Unless it is with high speed option, like Eurostar or similar, I question demand to use.
The Acela (sp?) from DC to NYC still takes too long in my opinion..
Its faster than flying between the two after you consider the time to get into the city from either airport and you don't need to deal with TSA and all of the time in the lines. It could be faster but the time is VERY competitive.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:28 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
It is moving in that direction. The Infrastructure Bill was bipartisan. Amtrak ridership is up and in VA and NC setting records.

It is a bit chicken and egg. The services need to be in place to be used but without use it is going to be hard to get more funding, though it is needed. I have talked to a few about getting the Mountaineer Express to have hours that work for football and basketball on Saturday games. I do wish things like that were easier to use from the Triad to Boone as it has to work roundtrip.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:37 pm

It faster than flying that is for sure ...but it is what it is ...not a high speed train similar to the Japanese bullet train...as well . One of the U. S. failures many years ago. Increasing accessibility with a high speed bullet train option is where we should focus. DC .to NYC is just one example . DC to Chicago or Dallas.Just my opinion .
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:58 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:37 pm
It faster than flying that is for sure ...but it is what it is ...not a high speed train similar to the Japanese bullet train...as well . One of the U. S. failures many years ago. Increasing accessibility with a high speed bullet train option is where we should focus. DC .to NYC is just one example . DC to Chicago or Dallas.Just my opinion .
You want hear an argument from me on your post. That is not in the plans as even the ATL-CLT high speed rail that is going to be greenfield construction is not REAL high speed such as France or Japan. It will take a push from the voting public.

We may never in a few centuries have something like Japan has from coast to coast, but NY DC Chicago should be there and then New Orleans-Atlanta-Florida-Raleigh and the west coast with the highest speeds possible outside of that should be our goal. I would like to think in 75-100 years that is doable. Well it is doable now from a tech side of things.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:45 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Amongst other shortcomings.
I didn't realize we could discuss politics here?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:22 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:58 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
You wont hear an argument from me on your post. That is not in the plans as even the ATL-CLT high speed rail that is going to be greenfield construction is not REAL high speed such as France or Japan. It will take a push from the voting public.

We may never in a few centuries have something like Japan has from coast to coast, but NY DC Chicago should be there and then New Orleans-Atlanta-Florida-Raleigh and the west coast with the highest speeds possible outside of that should be our goal. I would like to think in 75-100 years that is doable. Well it is doable now from a tech side of things.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
You wont hear an argument from me on your post. That is not in the plans as even the ATL-CLT high speed rail that is going to be greenfield construction is not REAL high speed such as France or Japan. It will take a push from the voting public.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
You will not hear an argument from me on your post. That is not in the plans as even the ATL-CLT high speed rail that is going to be greenfield construction is not REAL high speed such as France or Japan. It will take a push from the voting public.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:43 am

My biggest issue is that rail is just still expensive. The Brightline (owned by Japanese hedge fund) just expanded from South Florida (West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami) to Orlando. The problem is that the cost is still just not reasonable. Premium round trip tickets from Orlando to Miami this past weekend went from 149-306 per person depending on the time and it is a 3 hour trip. You can drive for less even if just one person and it would take a little longer, you can fly for way less and much less time. It is an easy way of travel but for me it just isn't worth the money.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 am

We were promised flying cars.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:43 am
My biggest issue is that rail is just still expensive. The Brightline (owned by Japanese hedge fund) just expanded from South Florida (West Palm, Ft Lauderdale, Miami) to Orlando. The problem is that the cost is still just not reasonable. Premium round trip tickets from Orlando to Miami this past weekend went from 149-306 per person depending on the time and it is a 3 hour trip. You can drive for less even if just one person and it would take a little longer, you can fly for way less and much less time. It is an easy way of travel but for me it just isn't worth the money.
If we included the cost of the environmental damage being done by driving and we paid for those costs now instead of pushing that off for a generation or two the cost of a gallon of fuel would be a lot higher. The difference in cost would not be as great.

And you can be productive on the 3 hour ride, which is not happening if you are driving. But I get your point and it is valid. And I would not mind if Amtrak ran a larger deficit it it kept ticket prices lower to support people not taking cars between cities.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:41 pm

The Triangle is an area where light rail would make all the difference in the world. But the window to introduce it was the 1990’s when companies based in northeast metro areas began opening facilities in/around RTP and their employees were relocating en masse to the area.

These folks grew up taking trains to work, to the mall, to kung fu practice, or whatever. And they recognized the benefit of having time to work, read, knit, etc. on the train instead of being perpetually stuck in traffic.

But that ship has sailed. Rail rights of way should’ve been added near major traffic corridors (just in case), but never were. Everybody drives their car everywhere because public transit options are limited and while the price tag for light rail construction was high then, it is absolutely crazy now.

ps- if want to see how the neglect of public transit options has negatively impacted a large metropolitan area, read “The Power Broker” by Robert A. Caro (it’s even better on Audible).

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:05 pm

Couldn't agree more with many comments about rail. It is a great way to travel, if done right. The problem with our democracy is people tend to vote what is best for them instead of what is good for the overall population. I love the idea of adding a tax to a gallon of gas to pay for rails across America and I am talking a $1 or more to the gallon, but it would never pass and if it did pass anyone who voted for it would be voted out the next election/year.

If the rails were built between each major city, the $1/gallon tax would save the US a ton of money in the future in Road wear and tear because a lot of the big trucks would not be needed. If it were my call, it would be a national tax that goes to the states to implement their rail system working with their neighbor states (like the interstate system is now.)

One can dream.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:57 pm

We are $34,000,000,000,000 in debt now, and still , no flying cars.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:41 pm

Don’t care what you do, just stay away from my gas powered truck.

Kidding, but not really :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”