Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Passenger Rail study funding from 2023 Q3 and 2024 Q1

AppfaninCAALand
School: Appalachian State

Re: Passenger Rail study funding from 2023 Q3 and 2024 Q1

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:41 pm

I have done the Eurorail thing in Europe multiple times and ride Amtrak whenever it is practical, but I am not anywhere as pro passenger rail as I was in my younger days. I am pretty skeptical that it is anywhere close to being worth the expense to catch up now. It would be nice to have such a network but the opportunity costs are too high and the funds would probably be better used any one of hundreds of ways, such as developing real clean energy alternatives.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm

The NC Physics Teachers are meeting in Charlotte in a few weeks. In an effort to lower my carbon footprint I am taking Amtrak. I was looking at city buses to get to the hotel and then bumming a ride from someone that drove but someone volunteered to pick me and anyone else up at the train station. That will be a lot easier I have to admit.

I am a volunteer train host and I may make this a train host ride and I can volunteer on the way to Charlotte and then back home the next day and save on the ticket. That is a fun ride from Greensboro to Charlotte, and for anyone that has not been inside the Greensboro station take a few minutes and do so. It is one of the more beautiful stations in the country. Not a big as Philly or NY Penn of Chicago but very beautiful for a city of Greensboro's size and grand in its own way.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:41 pm
I have done the Eurorail thing in Europe multiple times and ride Amtrak whenever it is practical, but I am not anywhere as pro passenger rail as I was in my younger days. I am pretty skeptical that it is anywhere close to being worth the expense to catch up now. It would be nice to have such a network but the opportunity costs are too high and the funds would probably be better used any one of hundreds of ways, such as developing real clean energy alternatives.
I agree with you; there's no way we could (or would) be willing to foot the bill for passenger rail now.
This is especially true given the outrageous cost overruns these projects routinely incur.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:08 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:57 pm
We are $34,000,000,000,000 in debt now, and still , no flying cars.
Patience young grasshopper....they are coming. Just a few more dollars. LOL. They now have the infrastructure in for your flying car.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:23 pm

I agree with BambooRd about the bullet train. It is an amazing thing. No traffic, no detours, no inrerstate construction delays, no pileups, no cones or barrels, no drunks driving, and you can play on your phone safely and not have to dodge those playing on their’s while driving, and a lower carbon footprint.

Shake my head at these “renown” politicians and Hollywooders who rant about “green” while flying around all the time on their fuel drinking aero planes. Most are probably invested in the green industry.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:35 am

I've never been to Europe, and I've heard many great things about their rail as well as the bullet trains in Japan. However, I rode Amtrak from Atlanta to New Orleans a couple years ago, and it was the worst travel experience of my life. If THAT is what all this money goes toward, it will be a massive waste. And based on that experience, I can understand why people would be against expanded rail travel. Amtrak from ATL-NOLA takes longer than flying or driving and costs more than flying. Why does it even exist?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:35 am
Why does it even exist?
I have never had the terrible experiences. I have been hours late but I can be stuck in traffic so I have been hours late driving and I was not able to fly until the next day the last time I did fly. That was an 18 hour delay.

Some can't fly for medical reasons. Some do not want to be stuffed like sardines in a plane. (The last time I did fly the three seats were occupied by three mean all over 200 lbs. It was not much space to say the least.) Some enjoy the more relaxed pace, and the journey is part of the experience. Some enjoy the fact one can take plenty of luggage with out a ton of fees. Most every train station of any size in a city has mass transit (bus or something) to the station or very close. Some communities do not have scheduled airlines anywhere near their communities. Airports actually fight having mass transit connection in many places so they can charge parking fees. Parking is likely never free at an airport, parking is almost always free at an Amtrak station. (Raleigh is an exception now in NC.) No TSA lines. The views traveling through the US. Even the run down areas are interesting to see and learn from what was and such. I learned all about some dredging around Philly rivers last summer on a trip to NY City. I would have missed that in a plane or a car even. I often end up close to the heart of the city. I was off a train and in a hotel in about 15 minutes last summer in NYC and no need to worry about a taxi (or worse, having to use a Gig ride to get into the city.)

I ride for a lot of that above but it is clearly a greener way to travel and that is important to me. I have not flown in over 6 years. Amtrak is also VERY unionized and that is even more important to me. Airlines are as well but it is a bit more hit and miss and not at the same level of unionization. That is reason #1 for me. Wife and I are taking a long trip from Greensboro to Charlottesville to Cincinnati to Indianapolis this summer on the Crescent and Cardinal. I am looking forward to the 15 hour stretch on the way back home from Indianapolis to Charlottesville. There will be some great views of the New River Gorge that will not be the same from airplane elevations.

Amtrak is clearly not perfect and not ever trip can work with a train, even when cities match up with service. But it is a great way to get around without nearly as much harm to the environment and the employees have decent pay and benefits. My travel is not coming off the backs of low pay and such, and a lot of tourism and travel is very much that.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:21 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 am
MrCraig wrote:
Why does it even exist?
I have never had the terrible experiences. I have been hours late but I can be stuck in traffic so I have been hours late driving and I was not able to fly until the next day the last time I did fly. That was an 18 hour delay.

Some can't fly for medical reasons. Some do not want to be stuffed like sardines in a plane. (The last time I did fly the three seats were occupied by three mean all over 200 lbs. It was not much space to say the least.) Some enjoy the more relaxed pace, and the journey is part of the experience. Some enjoy the fact one can take plenty of luggage with out a ton of fees. Most every train station of any size in a city has mass transit (bus or something) to the station or very close. Some communities do not have scheduled airlines anywhere near their communities. Airports actually fight having mass transit connection in many places so they can charge parking fees. Parking is likely never free at an airport, parking is almost always free at an Amtrak station. (Raleigh is an exception now in NC.) No TSA lines. The views traveling through the US. Even the run down areas are interesting to see and learn from what was and such. I learned all about some dredging around Philly rivers last summer on a trip to NY City. I would have missed that in a plane or a car even. I often end up close to the heart of the city. I was off a train and in a hotel in about 15 minutes last summer in NYC and no need to worry about a taxi (or worse, having to use a Gig ride to get into the city.)

I ride for a lot of that above but it is clearly a greener way to travel and that is important to me. I have not flown in over 6 years. Amtrak is also VERY unionized and that is even more important to me. Airlines are as well but it is a bit more hit and miss and not at the same level of unionization. That is reason #1 for me. Wife and I are taking a long trip from Greensboro to Charlottesville to Cincinnati to Indianapolis this summer on the Crescent and Cardinal. I am looking forward to the 15 hour stretch on the way back home from Indianapolis to Charlottesville. There will be some great views of the New River Gorge that will not be the same from airplane elevations.

Amtrak is clearly not perfect and not ever trip can work with a train, even when cities match up with service. But it is a great way to get around without nearly as much harm to the environment and the employees have decent pay and benefits. My travel is not coming off the backs of low pay and such, and a lot of tourism and travel is very much that.
I'm glad your experience with Amtrak was better than mine, and I totally understand and support the green/eco-friendly argument. I'll admit that was the only time I've been on Amtrak, so I can only say that the ATL-NOLA train is an awful trip.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:48 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:21 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Why does it even exist?

I'm glad your experience with Amtrak was better than mine, and I totally understand and support the green/eco-friendly argument. I'll admit that was the only time I've been on Amtrak, so I can only say that the ATL-NOLA train is an awful trip.
The Crescent north of Greensboro has some nice views. South of Atlanta, likely not so much and there is a lot of freight interference for Amtrak south of Atlanta. They really pad the schedule south of Charlotte now. That is frustrating. I have not been on that trip you describe. Were you in coach or a private room.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:43 pm

MrCraig wrote:
I've never been to Europe, and I've heard many great things about their rail as well as the bullet trains in Japan. However, I rode Amtrak from Atlanta to New Orleans a couple years ago, and it was the worst travel experience of my life. If THAT is what all this money goes toward, it will be a massive waste. And based on that experience, I can understand why people would be against expanded rail travel. Amtrak from ATL-NOLA takes longer than flying or driving and costs more than flying. Why does it even exist?
Here in Virginia, the commonwealth is working hard to expand rail trail from Norfolk to Bristol. Big bucks are being allocated to increase the rail time between Raleigh and Richmond, and from Richmond to Washington. I have taken the train from Roanoke/Lynchburg to DC a number of times and prefer it over driving there. I have even driven to Richmond to catch a train to DC. Union Station is within walking distance of everything a tourist would want to see and is short train ride to Nationals Park and Audi Field. My wife has taken the train numerous times from Saratoga NY to either Richmond or Lynchburg. We are big supporters of Amtrak.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:43 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Here in Virginia, the commonwealth is working hard to expand rail trail from Norfolk to Bristol. Big bucks are being allocated to increase the rail time between Raleigh and Richmond, and from Richmond to Washington. I have taken the train from Roanoke/Lynchburg to DC a number of times and prefer it over driving there. I have even driven to Richmond to catch a train to DC. Union Station is within walking distance of everything a tourist would want to see and is short train ride to Nationals Park and Audi Field. My wife has taken the train numerous times from Saratoga NY to either Richmond or Lynchburg. We are big supporters of Amtrak.
Do you have the Amtrak Credit Card? They have a 40,000 point sign on bonus right now. That is double the normal rate. That is a $1000 in free travel for $99 a year. Plus some lounge passes to use at DC and a few other cities. I do admit the money I get back from Costco CC is much reduced now.

Our 30th anniversary trip to NYC last summer was all on points with sleeper both ways on the Crescent.

We are taking the Crescent to DC over Memorial Day. Can walk to our hotel a few blocks away and subway to the baseball game. Then ride the Carolinian back. I am done with school but my wife has to work the next Monday. We put in a bid up for a sleeper on the way up but will settle for coach. A few weeks later we have our long trip to Indianapolis (Terre Haute being the final destination.) I would like to get up to Baltimore for an O's game but they were away that weekend.

We can both read or watch something on the laptop or play cards a bit.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:56 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm
hapapp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Do you have the Amtrak Credit Card? They have a 40,000 point sign on bonus right now. That is double the normal rate. That is a $1000 in free travel for $99 a year. Plus some lounge passes to use at DC and a few other cities. I do admit the money I get back from Costco CC is much reduced now.

Our 30th anniversary trip to NYC last summer was all on points with sleeper both ways on the Crescent.

We are taking the Crescent to DC over Memorial Day. Can walk to our hotel a few blocks away and subway to the baseball game. Then ride the Carolinian back. I am done with school but my wife has to work the next Monday. We put in a bid up for a sleeper on the way up but will settle for coach. A few weeks later we have our long trip to Indianapolis (Terre Haute being the final destination.) I would like to get up to Baltimore for an O's game but they were away that weekend.

Taking a train in/out of traffic hellscapes like DC & NYC does makes a lot of sense. It would be worth paying more because you might actually enjoy the trip for once. Especially true where DC/NOVA are concerned.

I've always thought a train trip from Chicago to the west coast would be cool. Has to be great scenery, especially going through the Rockies and on to the other side!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:49 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:56 pm
hapapp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Taking a train in/out of traffic hellscapes like DC & NYC does makes a lot of sense. It would be worth paying more because you might actually enjoy the trip for once. Especially true where DC/NOVA are concerned.

I've always thought a train trip from Chicago to the west coast would be cool. Has to be great scenery, especially going through the Rockies and on to the other side!
My wife and I want to take a trip to the Grand Canyon and we may end of flying one way and taking the train the other way but taking the train both ways would be ideal. I also need to save for a trip to see my sister in London at some point. I started following a soccer club over there just for the reason of taking all that in as well.

But The Empire Builder from Chicago to the PNW is great I here as is the California Zephyr goes to Oakland via Denver. The Southwest Chief goes closer to the Grand Canyon. All three cross the Rockies, which must be spectacular. And they have real dinners now unlike the flex meals on the east coast routes.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:49 pm
Bootsy wrote:
hapapp wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

My wife and I want to take a trip to the Grand Canyon and we may end of flying one way and taking the train the other way but taking the train both ways would be ideal. I also need to save for a trip to see my sister in London at some point. I started following a soccer club over there just for the reason of taking all that in as well.

But The Empire Builder from Chicago to the PNW is great I here as is the California Zephyr goes to Oakland via Denver. The Southwest Chief goes closer to the Grand Canyon. All three cross the Rockies, which must be spectacular. And they have real dinners now unlike the flex meals on the east coast routes.
Don’t take a train to London. 🤣
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:23 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:49 pm
Bootsy wrote:
hapapp wrote:

Don’t take a train to London. 🤣
Back a few years ago there was some talk of building a rail line across the Bering Sea. Clearly not happening now but if we continue to have rising temperatures it can become more viable (and Putin will someday die at some point in the future.)

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:11 am

Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:48 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:21 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Why does it even exist?

The Crescent north of Greensboro has some nice views. South of Atlanta, likely not so much and there is a lot of freight interference for Amtrak south of Atlanta. They really pad the schedule south of Charlotte now. That is frustrating. I have not been on that trip you describe. Were you in coach or a private room.
I road coach. Coach seats were super cheap, but private rooms would have been twice as expensive as just driving the same distance.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am

Overnight in coach is not the greatest I admit. But the seats are roomy and plenty of legroom. And not very expensive is certainly true.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”