Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA loses ability to control NIL in court

appdaze

NCAA loses ability to control NIL in court

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:47 pm

Lol, the ncaa just needs to pack it up. Take their ball and go home. Love it or not the ncaa governing abilities are almost gone.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/court ... nforcement

"With the decision, recruits and transfer players can now negotiate NIL contracts before signing and enrolling with a school, which was previously barred by the NCAA"

pop5app
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA loses ability to control NIL in court

Unread post by pop5app » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:19 pm

Boosters with money will go wild!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:58 pm

It was happening already. But yes it will explode.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:46 am

NCAA head says it's doom and gloom for sports if student athletes are paid.

https://fortune.com/2024/02/24/ncaa-col ... rview/amp/

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:36 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:46 am

It may not be doom and gloom, but I doubt I’m the only person that is reevaluating their donations. Not sure how I feel about donating money for scholarships for athletes that are getting paid to play. Perhaps my $ would be more impactful (or appreciated more) by sponsoring a scholarship for a college-bound student from my high school.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:02 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:46 am

I tend to agree. NIL is ruining college sports as we have always known it. Athletes have always been compensated with scholarships that in many cases are worth tens of thousands of dollars per year. So, it bugs me that many people act as if that means nothing now.

I feel that if an athlete can make money with their name and likeness, that’s great! Get an agent and make all the money you can!

However, the schools and alumni should stay out of it in my opinion.

Interesting question, if the school/collectives are paying a player 6 figures to play, can they cut the player and end the contract if the player doesn’t perform? Is the money guaranteed?

Does being paid make the player fair game for the brutal criticism that coaches receive?
I’ve always felt we shouldn’t criticize players like coaches, but does that change if they’re being paid?

Will be interesting to see where it all goes, my guess is no where good.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm

I really believe that interest in college sports will fall off and then ESPN will panic and try to fix the whole mess. By then it may be too late. It really is odd that the people making all the money off college sports don’t view this as an issue. NIL could work but a flat out uncontrolled free for all won’t work.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:58 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm
I really believe that interest in college sports will fall off and then ESPN will panic and try to fix the whole mess. By then it may be too late. It really is odd that the people making all the money off college sports don’t view this as an issue. NIL could work but a flat out uncontrolled free for all won’t work.
What is really driving this all is sports betting.

The last Boy Scout warned us about sports gambling.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:03 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:58 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I was talking with someone the other day about gambling impact on all our sports. The convo struck up because one of the fan duel or draft kings whatever it was is now avaliable in NC. How many people watch sports now due to a monetary investment in the outcome?
Our society in general is horrendously addicted to gambling.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:11 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:03 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I was talking with someone the other day about gambling impact on all our sports. The convo struck up because one of the fan duel or draft kings whatever it was is now avaliable in NC. How many people watch sports now due to a monetary investment in the outcome?
Maybe that’s what I was missing. Maybe gambling will keep people watching and keep the money flowing.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Why do you think interest in college sports would fall off? Popularity of collegiate athletics has only grown in the last 20 years, there are more kids playing more sports than just about any other time in our history, and pro sports are more popular than they've ever been. I don't know why college players making money would make people not want to watch sports anymore.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:29 am

appdaze wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:03 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

I don't understand how ESPN is allowed to broadcast games, broadcast shows about betting on those games, be part of the mechanism that decides who plays who and when, AND owns their own gambling app. That seems like conflicts of interests all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some government intervention in the near future.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:09 am

I watched just a little bit of that golf match last night. After a few minutes for me it was awful except for some of the Charles Barkley comments. The four players were about to tee off on a par 3 and the commentator announced that Sports King or whoever was supporting the event from the gambling side had Rory as the player most likely to be closest to the pin. As that was openly announced to the group I could not help but notice the expression on Rory's face. I told my brother last night that I could not imagine being a top athlete knowing that huge sums of money was being wagered on me.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:24 am

Wu-Tang tried to warn everyone 30 years ago.

C.R.E.A.M.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:24 am

MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Why do you think interest in college sports would fall off? Popularity of collegiate athletics has only grown in the last 20 years, there are more kids playing more sports than just about any other time in our history, and pro sports are more popular than they've ever been. I don't know why college players making money would make people not want to watch sports anymore.
I could be completely wrong but my thought is that people who watch college sport may be put off by the money aspect. As an avid fan I love seeing teams grow together. Watching players develop. With players switching teams for money some of that aspect of the game will disappear. I also think some of the team/school loyalty will be seen as gone and I think that will sour some folks to the whole thing.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:24 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I could be completely wrong but my thought is that people who watch college sport may be put off by the money aspect. As an avid fan I love seeing teams grow together. Watching players develop. With players switching teams for money some of that aspect of the game will disappear. I also think some of the team/school loyalty will be seen as gone and I think that will sour some folks to the whole thing.
You aren't wrong. Without significant and far reaching changes the fanbase will eventually erode, and NIL will eventually become a cancer in the locker room.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am

You start to see those interviews with former college stars who are more open about the money they were paid. It's really hard to imagine 18-23 year olds being genuinely happy about teammates who are making 6 figures while they are all technically college students. Even at the big schools you've got to have massive divides in NIL money deals. What would be a so called minimum deal?

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:04 am

KentHogan wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:02 pm
Does being paid make the player fair game for the brutal criticism that coaches receive?
I’ve always felt we shouldn’t criticize players like coaches, but does that change if they’re being paid?
Absolutely! Before players received a scholarship and some were paid in the shadows with $100 performance handshakes and bag men recruiting so we collectively turned a blind eye and kept criticism to a dull roar. Now that the perception of a scholarship is of little monetary value and the NIL dollars are out in the open with much larger sums, the spotlight is on the players to perform. If they fail to do their job on the field, the criticism will be loud and in their face.

Not arguing for or against but with money, comes expectation. The more money, the higher the expectation. Meet expectations and get showered in praise and likely more money. Miss expectations and I surmise criticism will rain down on these young professionals like a tsunami.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am
You start to see those interviews with former college stars who are more open about the money they were paid. It's really hard to imagine 18-23 year olds being genuinely happy about teammates who are making 6 figures while they are all technically college students. Even at the big schools you've got to have massive divides in NIL money deals. What would be a so called minimum deal?
In regard to the locker room I think about the O lineman getting nothing or next to nothing and blocking for the QB making millions. How’s that going to work?

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:35 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am
In regard to the locker room I think about the O lineman getting nothing or next to nothing and blocking for the QB making millions. How’s that going to work?
Hasn't this always been the problem? Bigdaddyg1 is pointing out how these deals have always happened, now it's at least ostensibly in exchange for using a player's name or face.
This is why NIL doesn't really bother me. It's always been around, it's just out in the open now. I DO think there should probably be some regulations, however. But I think the market might kind of regulate itself eventually.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”