Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Media Reports: Woman assaulted on campus

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Media Reports: Woman assaulted on campus

Unread post by asu66 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Another media black eye for App State

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/loc ... s/9045777/

BOONE, N.C. -- Appalachian State University Police are investigating an assault on campus.

High Country Crime Stoppers and the ASU Police Department say a woman, who is not a student, was assaulted Saturday around 1:30 a.m. on Hill Street near the John Thomas building.

The victim told authorities she was struck from behind in the back of the head, causing her to fall face-first into the pavement.

The victim was taken to the Watauga Medical Center Emergency Room for treatment of her injuries.

The suspect is described as a white male with blond, crew cut hair.

If you have any information on this crime, you're asked to contact Crime Stoppers at (828) 268-6959.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp

Re: Media Reports: Woman assaulted on campus

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am

This is tragic. To top it off, it will hit more than the regional media.
Unfortunately it goes to show that the old adage, nothing good happens after midnight, has some merit.
Let's all hope that she has no lasting after effects.

One can't help but wonder what the motivation was.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am

Not sexually assaulted? Anything stolen? Anyone read the police report?

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:22 pm

If she was hit in the back of the head and fell face first to the pavement, how was she able to identify the perpetrator as blond with a crew cut? There's no mention of other witnesses at the scene.
a.k.a JC0429

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm

This past weekend kept the cops busy for sure. People celebrating graduation, but most of the trouble happened when locals went out, thinking most of the students were gone. Locals and students don't mix well.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 14, 2014 5:34 pm

NewApp wrote:This is tragic. To top it off, it will hit more than the regional media.
Unfortunately it goes to show that the old adage, nothing good happens after midnight, has some merit.

Will it? Obviously it's a horrible act and I feel terrible for the poor girl, but people get assaulted all the time. I fail to see why this would be newsworthy outside of the local venues where this sort of thing is a novelty.

We're fortunate that App has such a low crime rate and always has. Kids at NC State, UNCC, ECU etc get robbed or assaulted on a weekly basis.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:44 pm

I have first hand knowledge of the situation and know the girl. She wasn't assaulted and it wasn't by a stranger. Whole thing was blown out
of proportion by the girl (typical) and I believe she tried to cover up what really happened with a bogus story. We have nothing to worry about when it comes to crimes, unlike ECU for one.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

While crime at App is not as commonplace as, say, VCU, where I never really hear of any incidents short of homicide, we can't pretend that there's nothing to worry about (though I get what you're saying). As a daddy of three daughters, I promise you that I will always worry about things that could happen, whether they go to Appalachian, VCU or Lees-McRae.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Yosef10 wrote:I have first hand knowledge of the situation and know the girl. She wasn't assaulted and it wasn't by a stranger. Whole thing was blown out
of proportion by the girl (typical) and I believe she tried to cover up what really happened with a bogus story. We have nothing to worry about when it comes to crimes, unlike ECU for one.
Must be one of Jamie Price's students.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Yosef10 wrote:I have first hand knowledge of the situation and know the girl. She wasn't assaulted and it wasn't by a stranger. Whole thing was blown out
It's good to hear that it is bogus, but why in heaven's name did they transport her to the hospital? Just SOP?
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Gonzo wrote:
NewApp wrote:This is tragic. To top it off, it will hit more than the regional media.

Will it? Obviously it's a horrible act and I feel terrible for the poor girl, but people get assaulted all the time. I fail to see why this would be newsworthy outside of the local venues where this sort of thing is a novelty.

We're fortunate that App has such a low crime rate and always has. Kids at NC State, UNCC, ECU etc get robbed or assaulted on a weekly basis.
Pardon the sarcasm, but have you ever heard of the internet?
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

NewApp wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Pardon the sarcasm, but have you ever heard of the internet?
You see this going viral too?

I really doubt it, man.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu May 15, 2014 6:15 am

JCline0429 wrote:how was she able to identify the perpetrator as blond with a crew cut?
Justin Bieber gets around, doesn't he?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 am

NewApp wrote:
It's good to hear that it is bogus, but why in heaven's name did they transport her to the hospital? Just SOP?

Transported her bc of a few scratches and a chipped tooth. Gonzo, just shut up for once

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu May 15, 2014 10:47 am

AppinVA wrote:While crime at App is not as commonplace as, say, VCU, where I never really hear of any incidents short of homicide, we can't pretend that there's nothing to worry about (though I get what you're saying). As a daddy of three daughters, I promise you that I will always worry about things that could happen, whether they go to Appalachian, VCU or Lees-McRae.
To be fair I only recall one VCU student murdered recently, and I don't think it was a random act. Students, and non students, get assaulted down there all the time though.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Thu May 15, 2014 11:57 am

If campus PD patrolled the rest of the campus like they do the tailgating areas before football games making sure IGgreer & friends don't drink a drop of an ice-cold Natural Light more than 3.5 hrs before kickoff, no crime would ever occur on campus.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Thu May 15, 2014 12:43 pm

IGgreer wrote:If campus PD patrolled the rest of the campus like they do the tailgating areas before football games making sure IGgreer & friends don't drink a drop of an ice-cold Natural Light more than 3.5 hrs before kickoff, no crime would ever occur on campus.
Agreed. All of this is Cobb's fault. #blamecobb

/sarcasm
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
AppinVA wrote:While crime at App is not as commonplace as, say, VCU, where I never really hear of any incidents short of homicide, we can't pretend that there's nothing to worry about (though I get what you're saying). As a daddy of three daughters, I promise you that I will always worry about things that could happen, whether they go to Appalachian, VCU or Lees-McRae.
To be fair I only recall one VCU student murdered recently, and I don't think it was a random act. Students, and non students, get assaulted down there all the time though.
I'm not saying they don't happen. I'm saying I don't hear of them. Oh, they happen all the time.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Please, even with sarcasm, don't bring the Cobb crap from AppFan over to this site!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am

If there is a silver lining to this event it would be that she, thankfully, was not an App student.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”