Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AJC Report: Cobb New Ga. St. AD

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

AJC Report: Cobb New Ga. St. AD

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Just tweeted moments ago.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop
App State AD…going to Georgia State> RT @DougRobersonAJC: Charlie Cobb hired as @GSUPanthers AD. Story posting in just a few.

Doug Roberson is the reporter that has been covering the story for the AJC. I'll add the link as soon as it comes up.

EDIT. Here's the link:
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ ... -ad/ng3FB/
Last edited by firemoose on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAD Doctor

Re: AJC Report: Cobb New Ga. St. AD

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Yep. Press conference at 10 tomorrow.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Wow. That's an tough move for me to understand, but if it makes sense to CC, then I wish him the best. I think Cobb has done a lot of good things for Appalachian athletics. I'm sure he will have very different challenges at Ga. State.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the hard work. He doesn't have a perfect record, but he certainly has his share of accomplishments at App.

I'd love to see a list of potential replacements from folks who might have any insight. Hopefully someone who will emphasize appealing to corporate donors.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

And now, the latest news...
New football coach, new chancellor, new basketball coach, new Yosef, new classification, new conference, new uniforms, new athletic director......

Any of you old-timers ever remember so much change in so little time?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:51 pm

This may be a good thing for App State. Cobb has done some good things but he also has some less than stellar moments. Sometimes it is good to have a change of scenary for both parties. We are at a point where we are facing some new challenges and a new face with new experiences may serve us well.

Good Luck to Charlie and I am looking for Doc Everts to prove how she can recognize good talent and character. We need an AD that knows how to raise money

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:55 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:And now, the latest news...
New football coach, new chancellor, new basketball coach, new Yosef, new classification, new conference, new uniforms, new athletic director......

This old-timer doesn't remember that much change in my times. I know Roy Clogston formerly at NCSU was brought in way back around 1970 to help with the change from NAIA to NCAA. One thing is for certain: our new chancellor is going to have to get this right and it will be a test of her ability to recognize and hire the right person.

On a side note, and this may be ignorant on my part but: what does Georgia State have to offer that ASU does not other than the urban center of Atlanta?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Chancellor Everts sent out a message just a bit ago confirming that CC is off to Atlanta. I appreciate all he has done for ASU, and his timing of arriving on the mountain was absolutely perfect. Through the ups and downs we are better off now than prior to his arrival (quite obviously). That having been said, I think it is time for some fresh thought and new ideas in the AD's office, and I look forward to the weeks ahead as ASU works towards making a new hire for this all-important position.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I appreciate our program's advancements during Cobb's tenure. I wish him well at Georgia State. We will learn much about Chancellor Everts during our upcoming AD search. She has an immediate chance to gain our confidence.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:09 pm

It's always good to have an AD that the current Admin hired. I have faith that Dr. Everts will make the right choice.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:11 pm

scatman77 wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:And now, the latest news...

This old-timer doesn't remember that much change in my times. I know Roy Clogston formerly at NCSU was brought in way back around 1970 to help with the change from NAIA to NCAA. One thing is for certain: our new chancellor is going to have to get this right and it will be a test of her ability to recognize and hire the right person.

On a side note, and this may be ignorant on my part but: what does Georgia State have to offer that ASU does not other than the urban center of Atlanta?
They offer a feather in the hat or improving a program and IMO and rather easy feather. He isn't moving to GA St. because it is a better job. He already has a blue print from the first five years at App. They have little to no support, terrible facilities, and sit in a city of 6M people. That is like candy to a kid in the eyes of an AD looking to make a name for himself. He isn't moving to GA St. because it is a better job. He is moving there to further add to a resume to reach his goal of being an AD at a P5 school.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:23 pm

So can we have a proper send off for Moore now ;)

AppState2009

Unread post by AppState2009 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Drinks are on IG Greer

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:54 pm

I've heard all the supposed reasons, but it still stings that he left us for arguably the worst athletic department in the FBS.

He likes a fixer-upper???

Onward. I anxiously await the announcement of his successor.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Seems like a lateral move to me. Maybe the salary is much better or maybe there was writing on the wall....

I wish him the best and he has done a pretty good job. He stepped into a gold mine with the football program which he really can't claim any credit. He did greatly improve our facilities and game day experience but failed miserably with the basketball program, although he may have made a good hire this time. I will never be able to forget the inexplicable cups and ice debacle. All that said it is time for a change.

Good luck Charlie!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! The Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant!

(Throat clear, throat clear)

I believe that this will present App State the chance to start a brand new day with a chance to climb even higher than before.

(Fist pump walking into the sunset)
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Can't help but wonder if the CUSA philosophy of "major market trumps quality" had an effect on CC's thinking. Even though things have quietened down for now, maybe he sees Ga. State as a school with more potential to move up the conference ladder based on market size, should realignment raise its ugly head.

His decision to leave comes as no surprise, as CC has been shopping for some time now. Now it's our turn. Knock it out of the park, Doctor E.

Regardless, best of luck, Charlie. Thanks for all your efforts.

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Gonzo wrote:I've heard all the supposed reasons, but it still stings that he left us for arguably the worst athletic department in the FBS.

He likes a fixer-upper???

Onward. I anxiously await the announcement of his successor.
Maybe he just wanted a job where he wouldn't have any fans to bother him. :lol:

Niner National
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Niner National » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 pm

fjblair wrote:Seems like a lateral move to me. Maybe the salary is much better or maybe there was writing on the wall....

I wish him the best and he has done a pretty good job. He stepped into a gold mine with the football program which he really can't claim any credit. He did greatly improve our facilities and game day experience but failed miserably with the basketball program, although he may have made a good hire this time. I will never be able to forget the inexplicable cups and ice debacle. All that said it is time for a change.

Good luck Charlie!
No reason to insult your athletic program. This is a clear step down. Ga State must have made him a financial offer that App couldn't match or maybe he just wanted to live in a bigger place than Boone after so many years there.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 pm

"I will never be able to forget the inexplicable cups and ice debacle." He wasn't too personal at times but we broke him on the cups/ice!!! :mrgreen: The game day experience did grow under him in terms of pushing games back to 330 and loosening up on tailgate times and overall allowing for more adult fun. Good luck in atl and Bon Voyageeee!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”