Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Timeline for getting AD candidates

MDaniels84
School: Appalachian State

Timeline for getting AD candidates

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm

It has been a while since App has had to look for a position like this. How long before some potential candidates might start surfacing. In looking back at Georgia Southerns search about a year and a half ago, it looks like it took them about 3 or 4 months to find Tom Kleinlein. If anyone has any good insight , lets start a short list of potential candidates.

MDaniels84

Re: Timeline for getting AD candidates

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Maybe Jeff Davis from South Carolina. Has ECU roots as well.
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/genrel/davis_jeff00.html

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:18 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:It has been a while since App has had to look for a position like this. How long before some potential candidates might start surfacing. In looking back at Georgia Southerns search about a year and a half ago, it looks like it took them about 3 or 4 months to find Tom Kleinlein. If anyone has any good insight , lets start a short list of potential candidates.
The first step is for the Chancellor to designate a specific person to write a draft of the official job description/vacancy announcement for the position and submit it to her for approval. The second step is for the Chancellor to appoint the members of the search committee and name a committee chairman. The chairman is likely to be a member of the Board of Trustees. The third step will be for the Chancellor and the search committee to decide if they wish to engage the services of a "head-hunter" firm to assist with the recruitment of top drawer candidates. Finally, the official job description/vacancy announcement will have to be posted in the following places as a minimum...

1) the official website of the ASU HR Office... http://hrs.appstate.edu/employment/epa- ... nistrative

2) in THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION... https://chroniclevitae.com/job_search?j ... type%5D=88

3) in the NCAA Job Market website... http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs

4) in the CollegeAD.org website... http://collegead.org/athletic-director-jobs/

Once this is done or while it's being done, the Chancellor and her designees (her chief of staff) will hit the phones to call candidates already on her list of possibilities. (I would imagine she arrived on campus with a short list of ADs, Assoc. ADs and Ass't ADs she'd like to have a chance to hire.)
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm

It won't take as long as the Chancellors' search, but longer than a head coach search. I'm guessing we'll have someone in place by the spring semester.

The list of Ga State candidates didn't come out until a week beforehand, although a lot of people knew about Cobb's kissing up act at Sun Belt Media Day. I'm guessing with how admins these daya don't want to publicize names and hurt the candidates current employment, it's a toss up if names are leaked. I doubt it until very late in the process.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 pm

End of the year would be my guess.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Im curious to see if our new Chancellor will reach out to someone in the Midwest, stands to reason she got connections out there.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Journal article on Beasley and search process:

Hank Foreman, the senior associate vice chancellor and chief communications officer at Appalachian, said that the process of establishing a search committee to find a new AD has started. He said that the committee eventually will make a recommendation to Chancellor Sheri Everts and that she will make a final decision on the new AD.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/ap ... b2370.html

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

Just another candidate that I stumbled upon. Have a friend in Morgantown who says that this gentleman gets things done and is a very good fund raiser.

http://www.wvusports.com/staffDirectory ... affID=2091

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 am

My guess:

~ Mid-Sept: Committee announced
~ Early Oct: Search Firm named
Jan: Firm report to Committee
Feb-March: Review and 1st interviews
Late March: finalists named
April: Hire made
Mid May: New AD start
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd be OK with any candidate from a P5 conference school that has extensive fundraising and alumni relations experience. Prefer that candidate to come from one of those schools that has a transparent track record of fundraising success.

Sherri should definitely hire an outside consultant firm as well. Leave no stone unturned!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm

ASUGoose wrote:I'd be OK with any candidate from a P5 conference school that has extensive fundraising and alumni relations experience. Prefer that candidate to come from one of those schools that has a transparent track record of fundraising success.

Sherri should definitely hire an outside consultant firm as well. Leave no stone unturned!
I've sent her a recommendation for a consultant/search firm who employs an alum and is a good friend. Hopefully she'll consider his firm.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 pm

ASUGoose wrote:I'd be OK with any candidate from a P5 conference school that has extensive fundraising and alumni relations experience. Prefer that candidate to come from one of those schools that has a transparent track record of fundraising success.

Not saying you're wrong, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to raise funds at most P5 schools? I'm just wondering if that would be a good test or finding someone that had made an impact at some hole in the wall school. I guess if the P5 school really had an increase in giving it might.

I know there isn't a right answer just thinking out loud.

The Annoying Peasant

Unread post by The Annoying Peasant » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:29 pm

scatman77 wrote:

I've sent her a recommendation for a consultant/search firm who employs an alum and is a good friend. Hopefully she'll consider his firm.
Employing a search firm that specializes in collegiate athletics would be preferred since they usually maintain a pool of candidates. It will remove all prejudices and outside influences, and look strictly at the qualifications and experience of the candidates. Time to eliminate the influence peddling.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm

The Annoying Peasant wrote:
scatman77 wrote:

Employing a search firm that specializes in collegiate athletics would be preferred since they usually maintain a pool of candidates. It will remove all prejudices and outside influences, and look strictly at the qualifications and experience of the candidates. Time to eliminate the influence peddling.[/quote

Spot on!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppState2014

Unread post by AppState2014 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:53 pm

asu66 wrote:
The Annoying Peasant wrote:
scatman77 wrote:

Employing a search firm that specializes in collegiate athletics would be preferred since they usually maintain a pool of candidates. It will remove all prejudices and outside influences, and look strictly at the qualifications and experience of the candidates. Time to eliminate the influence peddling.[/quote

Spot on!
Agree! I would not mind if someone had been at App before but I think we need someone willing to come in and make some changes, if need be. Someone with a fresh perspective who will come in and not fix something that isn't broke but quickly fix anything that is.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Maddog1956 wrote:

Not saying you're wrong, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to raise funds at most P5 schools? I'm just wondering if that would be a good test or finding someone that had made an impact at some hole in the wall school. I guess if the P5 school really had an increase in giving it might.

I know there isn't a right answer just thinking out loud.
I was thinking the same thing at least initially but when you start looking at some of the Senior Associate AD's at these P5 schools who are in charge of fundraising and alumni relations - they have successful track records at smaller schools first. Probably a strong reason why they were hired by the P5 conference school.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Even though Beasley is not likely the future AD, he should be able to pilot the ship well until we hire one. Thus we should get it right rather than fast.
Last edited by NewApp on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Anybody remember ASU '78 Davis Babb?

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 pm

I'll admit, I was looking forward to some of you putting together some unrealistically ridiculous list of candidates that I could laugh at for personal enjoyment.

Color me disappointed.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:06 am

Any more info on candidates for the AD position ? Just trying to bump the conversation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”