Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Provost Gonzalez Stepping Down

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Provost Gonzalez Stepping Down

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Announced this evening that Provost Lori Gonzalez was stepping down from her position to become a Special Assistant to the Chancellor. Sounds like another "reassignment until she finds another job" title. Former Provost and current Psychology Professor Stan Aeschleman is the interim while a search begins for the next Provost.

The moves on the academic side have begun.

appst89
Site Admin

Re: Provost Gonzalez Stepping Down

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 pm

firemoose wrote:Announced this evening that Provost Lori Gonzalez was stepping down from her position to become a Special Assistant to the Chancellor. Sounds like another "reassignment until she finds another job" title. Former Provost and current Psychology Professor Stan Aeschleman is the interim while a search begins for the next Provost.

A lot of the faculty had issues with Gonzales, didn't they?

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:07 pm

appst89 wrote:
firemoose wrote:Announced this evening that Provost Lori Gonzalez was stepping down from her position to become a Special Assistant to the Chancellor. Sounds like another "reassignment until she finds another job" title. Former Provost and current Psychology Professor Stan Aeschleman is the interim while a search begins for the next Provost.

Yes they did. There was support too but the more vocal ones didn't like her. Dr. Everts was a provost so she is used to what went on here. But if you want an honest guess I would say it's more that there is just too much bad blood to move forward than anything. Best way out is for SNE to bring in a new person to work with. But again, that's just a guess.

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Tony Carey should fill this position.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:06 pm

I remember in the "what do you want the new chancellor to do?" survey, many faculty answers were that they wanted Gonzales gone.

She royally screwed up the 2011 rape case in multiple ways. I thought she should have left after that.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 pm

What are the duties of Provost?
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm

T-Dog wrote:I remember in the "what do you want the new chancellor to do?" survey, many faculty answers were that they wanted Gonzales gone.

She royally screwed up the 2011 rape case in multiple ways. I thought she should have left after that.
How did she screw up besides failing to notify the accusers when the accused were permitted to return to campus for their appeal?

That's all I remember hearing specifically.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:
T-Dog wrote:I remember in the "what do you want the new chancellor to do?" survey, many faculty answers were that they wanted Gonzales gone.

How did she screw up besides failing to notify the accusers when the accused were permitted to return to campus for their appeal?

That's all I remember hearing specifically.
Screwed up the first case by not giving the accused their rights thus resulting in another trial. Making the accusers tell their stories over several hours multiple times. And then there was not notifying the accusers that the accused were back on campus as you mentioned.

Regardless of your opinion on the case itself, the process was one big shit show.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

IGgreer wrote:Tony Carey should fill this position.

I hope you have the sarcasm font turned on! That would not be a good move (to put it mildly), IMO. What I hear, instead, is that TC is on the way out as well.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 pm

appst89 wrote:

The faculty senate gave her a vote of no confidence. It was a tight vote, and some have argued that the faculty as a whole didn't have as many problems with her as their senate. I have no idea if that is true. Either way, the no confidence vote was a serious problem.
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/cha ... l?mode=jqm

IGgreer

Unread post by IGgreer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm

MountainMan wrote:

I hope you have the sarcasm font turned on! That would not be a good move (to put it mildly), IMO. What I hear, instead, is that TC is on the way out as well.
Tony is a great guy. I hope you are wrong.

wataugan03

Unread post by wataugan03 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:14 am

IGgreer wrote:
MountainMan wrote:

Tony is a great guy. I hope you are wrong.
He might be. But I think its clear from the 26-17 no confidence vote that the faculty has more problems with Carey than they do with Gonzales. Its hard to imagine he will remain in his current position for much longer.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Nov. 29, 2014:
Tony Carey has announced that he will step down from his responsibilities as Vice Provost for Faculty Development at the end of fall semester 2014.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”