Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Admissions

MMS2015
School: Appalachian State

Admissions

Unread post by MMS2015 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:43 pm

My daughter has applied to App and it is her first choice. She received an invitation to apply for scholarships. Is that typically a good sign for admission? Has anyone received this invitation and then NOT get accepted? Thanks for sharing your experience.

TheMoody1

Re: Admissions

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:17 am

I don't remember anything about the scholarships, but I know my son got his acceptance letter around this time last year. Hopefully, she will get an early Christmas present. Good luck.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:32 am

I would think this is a positive sign, but I don't exactly remember to be honest. At the same time I would not be overly concerned about not hearing before Christmas either. Announcements go out in waves. There is a order to it all but in is in, be it now or later in January. And my daughter was one that got a letter in the January batch.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 am

I suspect scholarship availability is universally announced among all applicants. Now, a heads up to you - When my daughter applied in 2010, admissions had an awful program which they called "early admission". Hopefully, they scrapped that program but, just in case, here is how it works so you can be prepared.

The first date of notification is typically around January 25th. The early admission program (still gags me to even type it) granted early admission to the top 5% of applicants. I still remember my daughter calling me from school in December 2010 saying one of her classmates had been accepted to App. Confused, I called admissions and was briefed on the program. The response was that early admission was a means to secure the top applicants. I was beside myself and inquired who would come up with a program that would encourage 5% while discouraging the other 95%. I might add that I did not mention that my daughter's classmate had a lower class rank and SAT.

The first thing out of her mouth was, "I should have applied somewhere else".

All that said, don't be discouraged if you hear of someone being accepted while you have yet to hear. Look to January.

appbud

Unread post by appbud » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 am

Off subject but was just up in the high country this past weekend to watch my son graduate from App for the 2nd time. This time with a Masters in Engineering physics. It is so great to be a Mountaineer. By the way my wife and I are both Class of '83.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 am

We are starting to research the admissions process now that my daughter is a Sophomore. From our early research, applying for early admission can only be done to one school. The schools that we are looking at require early admission acceptance as a binding agreement to attend. Haven't looked at ASU because my daughter would only use it as a backup. The point of all of this is to be patient. Everything will work out the way it is intended.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:27 pm

I can pretty well predict if you daughter will get in to App if I have the following;

Class Rank
SAT/ACT
GPA
Did they take the hardest courses available?
Extracurriculars?

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I would think this is a positive sign, but I don't exactly remember to be honest. At the same time I would not be overly concerned about not hearing before Christmas either. Announcements go out in waves. There is a order to it all but in is in, be it now or later in January. And my daughter was one that got a letter in the January batch.
yeah that's what happened to me last year (i'm currently a freshman). a ton of my classmates got their acceptance around dec 15 or so and i still hadn't heard anything so i was very concerned. however i found out a few weeks later in mid-Jan. So yeah don't get discouraged if some of her classmates find out in the next few days but she doesn't. only like the top 10% find out early.

dontplay90

Unread post by dontplay90 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:18 pm

I wouldn't think the scholarship application notification is a bad sign.

Another sign would be the invitation to apply to the honors college. Those applications were due December 1 of this year.
Give 'em Hell Apps!

burnsjf

Unread post by burnsjf » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:24 pm

I am a student starting in the spring of 2015 with a scholarship. I am paying my own tuition and I would like to share my thoughts with you.

App is the right choice and free money is great! However, do not read into things too much and keep your heads up. When your daughter is admitted she will be welcomed to the family and make sure you keep in touch with financial aid.

I would suggest getting in touch with Ms. Terri Ford. She works in the office of student financial aid in John E. Thomas Hall and may be able to answer your questions in regards to scholarship availability.

I understand that this does not answer your question, but I believe that scholarships are available for her if she takes advantage.

I hope this helps.
Jim Burns
burnsjf@appstate.edu

Yosef
Site Admin

Admissions

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:57 pm

burnsjf wrote:I am a student starting in the spring of 2015 with a scholarship. I am paying my own tuition and I would like to share my thoughts with you.

App is the right choice and free money is great! However, do not read into things too much and keep your heads up. When your daughter is admitted she will be welcomed to the family and make sure you keep in touch with financial aid.

I would suggest getting in touch with Ms. Terri Ford. She works in the office of student financial aid in John E. Thomas Hall and may be able to answer your questions in regards to scholarship availability.

I understand that this does not answer your question, but I believe that scholarships are available for her if she takes advantage.

I hope this helps.
Jim Burns
burnsjf@appstate.edu
Agreed. Re: scholarships, my wife went to school for free, not on the back of one large scholarship but with multiple $500 and $1000 scholarships that no one applied for but her in some cases. Apply for every scholarship available no matter how small.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:31 pm

My youngest got her big envelope from App today! She has some others she has been accepted by so she has a decision to make. She has been coming to Boone with me and the rest of her family and extended App family all her life but I will let her make this choice. I think she knows who I like the best.

dontplay90

Unread post by dontplay90 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 am

dontplay90 wrote:I wouldn't think the scholarship application notification is a bad sign.

Another sign would be the invitation to apply to the honors college. Those applications were due December 1 of this year.
Update... My daughter got her acceptance package in the mail on Saturday. Looks like the Mountaineer tradition will continue for our family! :P
Give 'em Hell Apps!

MMS2015

Unread post by MMS2015 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks to everyone for their responses! My daughter has received her acceptance to App, so we will officially become part of the Mountaineer Family! Very excited!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Congratulations to the new Mountaineers! I know how relieved and excited they must be. They are certainly in for the best, fastest four years of their lives.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:Congratulations to the new Mountaineers! I know how relieved and excited they must be. They are certainly in for the best, fastest four years of their lives.
Hah - hopefully it's only 4 years!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”