Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App made an apperance on Fox News this morning

ComebackShack
School: Appalachian State

App made an apperance on Fox News this morning

Unread post by ComebackShack » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 am

Yosef10

Re: App made an apperance on Fox News this morning

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:46 am

Fox News.....exactly the platform i want my alma mater to be seen on :roll:

ASUDieHard

Unread post by ASUDieHard » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:54 am

Yosef10 wrote:Fox News.....exactly the platform i want my alma mater to be seen on :roll:
As opposed to what? CNN? NBC?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:59 am

Fox is a little late to the ball game here.

I tend to avoid partisan news sources, but it's good that a major player like FN is chiming in. I hope the school does the right thing. A state campus dorm is no place for hate speech, even if you feel like the objects of the speech somehow deserve it.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:19 am

Gonzo wrote:Fox is a little late to the ball game here.

I tend to avoid partisan news sources, but it's good that a major player like FN is chiming in. I hope the school does the right thing. A state campus dorm is no place for hate speech, even if you feel like the objects of the speech somehow deserve it.
Keep in mind, certain hate speech is more acceptable than others.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:48 am

I'm just resentful of the success of this troll.

He dramatically changed his strategy since he fabricated his Walmart N-word story (probably because no one believed him). It paid off. Now he's finally hit it big by going on the offensive with his race-baiting. They weren't even safe in their own home. And now the little rainbow warrior is basking in the glory of seeing his bulletin board on a national news station.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:58 am

The only people who are offended are white-centric right wingers. Hence Fox News.

The majority of the country is against you on this; yes the same majority that you're claiming is so persecuted and "shamed" by facts.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 am

Appftw wrote:The only people who are offended are white-centric right wingers.
And their opinions don't matter. Sure white conservatives make up more than half the population, but they deserve it. If they hate them let 'em hate and watch the money pile up. If they disagree, they clearly lack the vast, worldly perspective I've cultivated as I went from semi-rural NC to Boone and back.

Can I wear FUBU now?

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:23 am

Sure, you can wear whatever you want. You should learn how to read statistics and not be offended while you're at it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:27 am

The only issue I have (not offense) is that the board was made by someone who has the power to bring students on his hall up before a disciplinary board. He is in a position of power.

Had it been posted by a group on campus in, say, the Student Union, I would call it Freedom of Speech, and those offended should recognize the rights of that group to post it. Done that way, I don't have to like the speech, but I have to recognize, and be thankful, for that group's ability to post it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am

Perhaps I should have referred to the single largest group of people in the United States as a plurality.

In any case, it doesn't matter. As you said, their opinion should be disregarded. RIP Brother X. Fists up for solidarity.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 am

AppinVA wrote:The only issue I have (not offense) is that the board was made by someone who has the power to bring students on his hall up before a disciplinary board. He is in a position of power.

Had it been posted by a group on campus in, say, the Student Union, I would call it Freedom of Speech, and those offended should recognize the rights of that group to post it. Done that way, I don't have to like the speech, but I have to recognize, and be thankful, for that group's ability to post it.
What sort of checks and balances are in place to make sure he does not abuse his power. I assume there is something.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:35 am

AppinVA wrote:The only issue I have (not offense) is that the board was made by someone who has the power to bring students on his hall up before a disciplinary board. He is in a position of power.

Exactly.

ftw continues to take us off topic. The debate about the content itself is separate from the indefensible position that an authority figure who receives tax dollars as compensation should be allowed to use his capacity to force a political position on his subordinates.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:40 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:

What sort of checks and balances are in place to make sure he does not abuse his power. I assume there is something.
I don't know, but I feel the same ones that you and I have as teachers could be a start.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am

I'm becoming very ill-at-ease about what both this thread and the dorm-antics are doing to our beloved alma-mater. It's unhealthy for our campus and for ASU's "world" image.

I do agree with this comment..."I hope the school does the right thing. A state campus dorm is no place for hate speech, even if you feel like the objects of the speech somehow deserve it."

I believe students have the right to free speech, but I think they have an obligation to be civil. It's not all that far from hate speech to a break-out of violence. I hope and pray that our university and students will always take the high road on issues of culture. Leave the 60s in the '60s.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:57 am

asu66 wrote:I'm becoming very ill-at-ease about what both this thread and the dorm-antics are doing to our beloved alma-mater. It's unhealthy for our campus and for ASU's "world" image.

I do agree with this comment..."I hope the school does the right thing. A state campus dorm is no place for hate speech, even if you feel like the objects of the speech somehow deserve it."

I believe students have the right to free speech, but I think they have an obligation to be civil. It's not all that far from hate speech to a break-out of violence. I hope and pray that our university and students will always take the high road on issues of culture. Leave the 60s in the '60s.
There is no shortage of soap boxes on a college campus. Again, preventing a state employee from using his authority to impose abrasive political speech in the homes of his subordinates is different that suppressing speech.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:58 am

This kid says he had a bad experience at our alma mater and you, Gonzo, immediately declare that he's a lying racist, yet somehow I'm the one who's invalidating the opinion of others. Typical hypocritical, over-reaction from the master troll.

What kind of power does an RA really have? In theory, he could frame someone for a crime, but student courts have the ultimate say in such matters.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:59 am

AppinVA wrote:

I don't know, but I feel the same ones that you and I have as teachers could be a start.
And I meant to include the statement that I am not accusing the RA of doing anything of the sort, or that he might for that matter. It was just a general question on what checks and balances are in place if an RA of RD became a bit of a bully and used their position of power in such a way.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

Appftw wrote:This kid says he had a bad experience at our alma mater and you, Gonzo, immediately declare that he's a lying racist, yet somehow I'm the one who's invalidating the opinion of others. Typical hypocritical, over-reaction from the master troll.

What kind of power does an RA really have? In theory, he could frame someone for a crime, but student courts have the ultimate say in such matters.
I thought he had a bad experience at a Wal-Mart not at ASU. He has made an experience at a public shopping center a negative for the university.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am

AppinVA wrote:

And I meant to include the statement that I am not accusing the RA of doing anything of the sort, or that he might for that matter. It was just a general question on what checks and balances are in place if an RA of RD became a bit of a bully and used their position of power in such a way.
That I do not know. I was never an RA, but I did get busted by a vindictive few times as a freshman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”