Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Rick Beasley in the WSJ: Leaving, but still loves ASU

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Rick Beasley in the WSJ: Leaving, but still loves ASU

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Rick Beasley took his nameplate off of his desk in the Appalachian Athletics Center earlier this week, but the totality of his work at ASU as an all-America football player and as a university development officer and fundraiser will not be forgotten. Rick and Diana (also an administrator at ASU) have been (and will continue to be) fine ambassadors and generous monetary benefactors to their alma mater. In addition to their generosity to the athletic program, they have also been major contributors to the Reich College of Education.

Thanks, Rick, for the memories and for all you've done to raise the profile of Appalachian in both athletics and academics. Mountaineers everywhere are proud of your accomplishments and grateful for your many contributions.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleg ... bc0dc.html

Though Rick Beasley leaves, love for ASU remains

By Brant Wilkerson-New/Winston-Salem Journal

Rick Beasley might be moving out of his office Tuesday afternoon, but rest assured, he’ll still have a presence at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

After all, he’s only missed one Appalachian State home football game since he finished his career as an All-America wide receiver with seven school records in 1980.

“I was there before I came back, and I’m sure I’ll be there again,” Beasley said with a laugh. “It’s going to be kind of fun going back to being just a fan and enjoying and supporting the programs that I love.”
Beasley, a deputy athletic director, is retiring today after returning to ASU in 2006 as an associate athletic director. He took over as interim athletic director in August following the resignation of Charlie Cobb until Doug Gillin assumed those duties in April.

Gillin credited Beasley with helping the Mountaineers’ athletic department move into a new era in the Sun Belt Conference.

“Oh man, he did a lot; not just internally,” Gillin said. “We were entering a conference that nobody knew anything about. I think it can’t be understated the way he represented Appalachian at conference meetings, so not just locally, regionally, but nationally.

“The way that he represented our interests at the conference, his fingerprints are all over our entry into the Sun Belt; the way we’ve been able to enter and be successful.”

Beasley’s fingerprints are all over the sparkling new athletic facilities at ASU — although that wasn’t necessarily the plan when he was serving as the city manager in Conover.

After finishing a Master’s degree at ASU, he immediately went to work in local government as an assistant city manager in Lenoir before becoming city manager in Scotland Neck.

“I really enjoyed building communities and serving the public; I’ve kind of always had that public service mentality in terms of trying to make people feel good about themselves,” he said.

But in 2006, Chancellor Kenneth Peacock, Vice Chancellor Jerry Hutchens and Cobb approached him with their vision for what ASU athletics could become with Beasley as its chief fundraiser.

“Really, I never thought about getting back into athletics,” Beasley said. The chance to build and serve at ASU was too good to pass up, though.

“It was awesome to come back to my alma mater and try to play a small role in what they were planning on developing in terms of facilities and improving scholarships for student-athletes,” he said. “It was something near and dear to my heart, because it had such an impact on me coming from Virginia Beach a long time ago.”

What began as a $32 million campaign for facilities improvements eventually ended up at $65-70 million as the athletic program picked up steam on the strength of three straight football national championships.

“It really was the consistency; we won three straight national championships and of course in that third year, we beat Michigan,” Beasley said. “That was like icing on the cake, and took us to a different level from that perspective.”

The 2007 victory at Michigan was a signature moment of the run that took ASU’s fundraising to new heights under Beasley’s leadership.

Before his arrival, the Yosef Club had never raised more than $700,000 in a full year. Since 2006, it has raised over $1 million every year, and surpassed $3 million each of the past two years.

“It’s allowed us to have done a lot of things for our student-athletes, for the university, for the community, we might not have otherwise been able to do,” Gillin said. “If you look at what he’s been able to do here compared to our peer institutions around the country, it’s remarkable.”

Reflecting on the time he spent at ASU, Beasley pointed out that when he arrived in Boone as a freshman in 1977, the west side of Kidd Brewer had only one small level of bleachers, and there was no locker room at the stadium.
“The first couple of years, we had to walk up from Varsity Gym to the games, because we didn’t really have a locker room,” he said.

Now, the 120,000 square-foot Appalachian Athletics Center — completed in 2009 — towers over a stadium that seats more than 24,000.

“To see the difference between what we had then and what we have now, is incredible,” Beasley said. “The academic support programs, the things that Appalachian is able to provide not just student-athletes, but athletes in general, is incredible.

“For me, I love all parts of Appalachian, so it’s been fun for me to watch Appalachian grow as a university and people understand that Appalachian is a player, in terms of academics and athletics in the state.”
Beasley isn’t sure what his next move is, but his hope is to stick around and enjoy a little tailgating now that his Saturdays are free.

“I’m sure I’ll pop up here sometime soon to do something. It’ll probably be on the private side, and I hope it’s going to be here in Boone because I’m planning to be a supporter for a long time,” he said. “The Appalachian family took a chance on a scrawny kid from Virginia Beach, and the university transformed my life.”

bwilkerson@wsjournal.com
(336) 727-7319
Last edited by asu66 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

DaphneUrquhart

Re: Rick Beasley in the WSJ: Leaving, but still loves ASU

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:32 pm

I spoke with Rick earlier this week. I will certainly miss his presence in the athletic department. I'm looking forward to enjoying Rick's company simply as a friend. He and Diana are truly gems.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:51 pm

From above "Reflecting on the time he spent at ASU, Beasley pointed out that when he arrived in Boone as a freshman in 1977, the west side of Kidd Brewer had only one small level of bleachers, and there was no locker room at the stadium.
“The first couple of years, we had to walk up from Varsity Gym to the games, because we didn’t really have a locker room,” he said."

I guess when ECU invited us to move up with them (as I have been told the history) and we replied that "We were not ready." begins to make some sense.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Just as aside, Rick was well known in the ranks of small city management. I was in a civic club with a then city manager in the Piedmont who knew Rick quite well and said he was highly respected in the ranks and had been recruited by larger cities..
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:From above "Reflecting on the time he spent at ASU, Beasley pointed out that when he arrived in Boone as a freshman in 1977, the west side of Kidd Brewer had only one small level of bleachers, and there was no locker room at the stadium.
“The first couple of years, we had to walk up from Varsity Gym to the games, because we didn’t really have a locker room,” he said."

I guess when ECU invited us to move up with them (as I have been told the history) and we replied that "We were not ready." begins to make some sense.
At the time ECU people were first suggesting that we move up with them, we were having trouble keeping up with the required MINIMUM scholarships in the SoCon. Just saying.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”