Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pro Day

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Pro Day

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 am

EastHallApp wrote:Marcus will get his shot. It's not like pro teams aren't aware of him. Plenty of RBs who were drafted late or not at all have had fine NFL careers. If he's good enough and lands in camp with the right team, he'll make it.
This. If he is good enough he will make it whether drafted or not. There are plenty who go the undrafted route. I don't think anyone should be offended if he isn't drafted. I think the odds of a UDFA making a roster are as good as late round picks. It would be nice for Marcus to get drafted but better if he makes a team in the Fall.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm

I think undrafted free agents are more fortunate than the late round guys because the player has an opportunity to go to a team that needs the depth at their position.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:28 am

For so many of these guys it is simply - "right place at the right time" ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 am

They are projecting Hood from UNC as a 7th rounder to give a bit of comparison. (probably because of injury) Based on that alone I'd say that Marcus is a UDFA and special teams will make or break him

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 am

Cox is far and away a better RB than Hood; now Hood is the better ATHLETE and that isn't really a question either. I agree that it would be best for him to go udfa where he can go to a place that he could play and excel. Looking back to last year when Blair was drafted by the Niners, I was estatic for him he made it. Now it looks like he is about to have to compete with not one, not two but three high round one picks at his position. There are so many teams in the league that need talent on the DL where Blair would be a valuable asset, but he currently stuck on a team that is loaded on the DL and is poised to draft another. I don't want that for Cox, off the top of my head PHI, GB, DEN would all be great landing spots due to his skill set and those team needs. At the end of the day I just want our guys to have their shot to prove themselves.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:40 am

If it is between Cox going in the 6th or 7th to a team with 6 running backs or being a PFA and being able to select his destination, I'd recommend the PFA route. Finding a team with a zone stretch running scheme or a west coast offense like Andy Reid runs would help him out tremendously.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 am

The reason Freeman has become a household name with the Falcons is because of Shanahan's offensive style, as well as the pick-up of Alex Mack last season.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am

ericsaid wrote:If it is between Cox going in the 6th or 7th to a team with 6 running backs or being a PFA and being able to select his destination, I'd recommend the PFA route. Finding a team with a zone stretch running scheme or a west coast offense like Andy Reid runs would help him out tremendously.
Not sure why a team with 6 RBs would draft another RB in the 6th-7th round unless they believed the draft choice was better than several on the roster ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
ericsaid wrote:If it is between Cox going in the 6th or 7th to a team with 6 running backs or being a PFA and being able to select his destination, I'd recommend the PFA route. Finding a team with a zone stretch running scheme or a west coast offense like Andy Reid runs would help him out tremendously.
Not sure why a team with 6 RBs would draft another RB in the 6th-7th round unless they believed the draft choice was better than several on the roster ---
The same reason the Panthers drafted three CB's last season. See which ones are going to pan out, camp bodies, etc.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am

ericsaid wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
The same reason the Panthers drafted three CB's last season. See which ones are going to pan out, camp bodies, etc.
The Panthers were really thin at corner after cutting Norman, Tillman retiring, Benwikere's health uncertainty, and maybe one or two other moves I'm forgetting about. But you're right - especially in the later rounds, teams are looking for the best available value regardless of position. Nobody's thinking they're filling their most pressing need with a 7th round pick.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 am

Really hope that Cox, Gray, Law, and others can sign UDFA contract in coming days and get in a camp somewhere. I think that with the change in our S&C program over the last couple of years, our guys now have a fighting chance to make a roster somewhere.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 am

Just heard on the radio that Tennessee has not had a player drafted in two years. Could that be?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 am

True. 2014 last year a Vol player drafted.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 am

Until last night. DE Derek Barnett went #14 to the Eagles.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:19 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:Really hope that Cox, Gray, Law, and others can sign UDFA contract in coming days and get in a camp somewhere. I think that with the change in our S&C program over the last couple of years, our guys now have a fighting chance to make a roster somewhere.
According to NFLdraftscout.com almost all of App's starters including Fernandez, Cox, Law, Gray, Collins, Gilchrist, and Williams will be on an NFL roster by the end of the weekend.

Gilchrist, Collins, Williams and Cox all could be drafted anywhere from round 6 to going as a priority free agent. The rest will be PFA's or Rookie Camp guys to fill out space and possibly make a team. As it stands now, the guys with the best odd's of making at least a training squad come September are Williams, Collins, Gilchrist, and Cox.

It seems that the Strength and Conditioning program doesn't have much to do with the guys that have the best chance to be on rosters. I believe the program may have elevated guys like Gray and Law who many thought wouldn't test as well as they did, however they are still a longshot to make a roster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”