appgrouch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 am
Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:54 pm
appgrouch wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:00 pm
To me I see no difference between closing campus at 3 PM vs a teacher deciding to a cancel class randomly during a semester. Just my personal opinion.
Academic choice vs Athletics mandate
Without athletics this university wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is academically now.
If football was disbanded tomorrow, the academics would be fine.
Instead of still paying off the debt on KBS, we could be upgrading classrooms and creating better opportunities for students.
Go look at academic numbers pre and post 2007. It is a much more difficult school to get into now. There are much more applicants as well. The school went from being a backup plan to many students first choice. That is due in large part to our athletic success getting us brand recognition.

You can choose to feel how you would like but facts back up my statement above.

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lot Opening Times for GS

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 am

appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
To me I see no difference between closing campus at 3 PM vs a teacher deciding to a cancel class randomly during a semester. Just my personal opinion.
Without athletics this university wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is academically now.
Instead of still paying off the debt on KBS, we could be upgrading classrooms and creating better opportunities for students.
If football was disbanded you'd see a dramatic drop in student applications and a drop in alumni involvement. The Michigan win along with the 3 national championships put App on the map and prospective student interest surged dramatically. Keeping alumni engaged through something like a great football program keeps us interested and gets us up the mountain to see what's happening and leads to academic contributions.
Fewer students means less state funding and less tuition and fees collected which means a smaller budget to do all of those great things needed for academics.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:34 am

Yes football caused a big increase in academics, especially pre and post 2007.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 am

I will be sending an email today. If these times for the young alums arnt changed I will be pulling my funding. I gave to App because I have been in love with this university since my first football game when I was 2 months old to my 4 years as a student to my second year as an alum. I gave through buying a house, planning a wedding, changing careers into the fire service knowing I wouldn't make all games thanks to shift work and my plan was to within 2 years be in stadium lot next to my dad where he has been since 89. Now with this slap in the face after I had taken 2 days off work to go to this game, it's embarrassing for me, someone who has convinced a few other young alums to join this past year, to get slapped in the face by not being able to enjoy the game day activities until 5. That's pathetic. Please App keep screwing the young alums it's not like they would be the future of the donors or anything.

And for anyone that doesn't agree with this. I really don't care at the end of the day I will put my money where my mouth is.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:04 am

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 am
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
If football was disbanded you'd see a dramatic drop in student applications and a drop in alumni involvement. The Michigan win along with the 3 national championships put App on the map and prospective student interest surged dramatically. Keeping alumni engaged through something like a great football program keeps us interested and gets us up the mountain to see what's happening and leads to academic contributions.
Fewer students means less state funding and less tuition and fees collected which means a smaller budget to do all of those great things needed for academics.
Applications have been over enrollment since at least the 80's.
The growth that App has had is nothing to due with football. The State/System MANDATED that all the system schools had to increase their enrollment each year. This started in the 90's.
There is some cross over between athletics giving and other giving, but not near all give to both.
$16+ Million Dollars a year (($380 Fee + $124 Debt) x 2 x 16600 undergrads) of athletic fees could be used a lot of other places.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am

For the record, I am not someone that is in the "down with football" camp.

That being said, more people than not on this board and elsewhere, don't see all the different ways that everyone else on campus has to accommodate the Thurs games.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:33 am

Just call it a snow day and cancel classes at noon. Reduce Spring Break by 1 day. For crying out loud 1 day a year shouldn't be armageddon.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 am

appgrouch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:04 am
Rick83 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

The growth that App has had is nothing to due with football. The State/System MANDATED that all the system schools had to increase their enrollment each year. This started in the 90's.
There is some cross over between athletics giving and other giving, but not near all give to both.
$16+ Million Dollars a year (($380 Fee + $124 Debt) x 2 x 16600 undergrads) of athletic fees could be used a lot of other places.
We will just have to disagree. It's also not just about attracting the number of applicants, but a higher quality of applicants. My wife is a high school teacher, and I know this is anecdotal, but she is continually asked to do student recommendation letters and many times App is the top choice, or in the top 2 or 3 with NC State or UNC-CH, and it wasn't always that way. It's obviously not ALL about the football team, but it does create a buzz that keeps people talking and engaged with the university even after 34 years as in my case.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 am

appgrouch wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

That is the most absurd statement I have read on this board in a long time. Completely detached from the reality. The glaring truth is that the explosion in growth over the past 10-12 years can be overwhelmingly attributed to the exposure and momentum generated by the football program.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 pm
See, as a current student I see both sides. Being the avid fan of App football that I am, anytime we have a Thursday game I make a note of it before the season begins and kinda plan to just not go to any of my classes that day. Basically I make an executive decision to just not go to class all day. I get all my work done ahead of time, to have a nice, stress-free and rowdy day. It usually works and a lot of times professors just cancel anyways. I hope something similar happens this year but most of my professors on Thursday's seem to have decided to keep going strong with classes on Thursday. Whatever. Most of my professors seem to be pretty understanding anyways, one even posed the idea of having class at a bar on Thursday :lol: I WOULD skip all of them, but my last class (from 2-3:15) a pointless gen ed class I'm in (I'm a senior) has some small group bs where every group has one day where they have to stay in class and present some findings or something ridiculous like that. Of course, my small group, in a class of probably 50ish people, happened to get chosen to present our stuff next Thursday so I'm furious lmao. I'll probably show up buzzed, but not getting out till 3:15 is a bummer for me.
My spirit lives in this young'un.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 am

fjblair wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 am
appgrouch wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:

That is the most absurd statement I have read on this board in a long time. Completely detached from the reality. The glaring truth is that the explosion in growth over the past 10-12 years can be overwhelmingly attributed to the exposure and momentum generated by the football program.
Grouch you are detached from reality. My wife is a HS Guidance counselor.
FACT: Enrollment applications increased from the time of the Michigan win dipped slightly two years after but were substantially more than pre Michigan.
FACT: The quality of the applicant increased as measured by class rank Test scores and GPA.
FACT: Many if not most HS applicants do consider a vibrant sports program as part of their decision process.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 am

appgrouch wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:

I'm stunned to see someone publicly post that football hasn't impacted the growth in enrollment and quality of applicants. It's an objective fact.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am

What is amazing is that this info was found out through an App faculty email. There has been
ZERO Yosef Club communication on this so far.

This should have been taken care of months ago. We knew this game would be on that date at that time on March 1.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am

Also, talking about the positive impact football has on the school. I wonder how much the university has made from licensing fees and direct sales of merchandise from the bookstore, etc as a result of the success of the football team? Over the last 10 years alone my family has probably spent $3 to $4 thousand on App merchandise. I get multiple App things as gifts on every gifting occasion plus what we spend when we got up for games. It's gotta be a huge number.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm
I'd be interested to hear how other schools handle the Thursday night football games. It's not like we have 40k rolling into town and have to deal with major traffic issues. I'm more interested in understanding the relationship between athletics and academics departments at other universities. This just doesn't seem like a big deal or at least I don't hear much stink about it with regards to other schools.
Can't speak to Thursday night games, but UF cancels all classes on the Friday of Homecoming every year, some professors even cancel Thursday classes in the spirit of things. It has proven to be too difficult to have a lot of fans in town to partake in the festivities while classes are still going on and the available parking is being used for students to go to class. So classes are cancelled and you the fans can pull into your tailgate spot earlier than on other game days (RV spots on Thursday night instead of Friday night). I would imagine a similar scenario should UF play a Thursday night game at the Swamp but I don't see that happening.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 am

Some more details from the Paper, including a shuttle from the Old WHS.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/watauga/ ... 948ab.html

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am
What is amazing is that this info was found out through an App faculty email. There has been
ZERO Yosef Club communication on this so far.

This should have been taken care of months ago. We knew this game would be on that date at that time on March 1.
Holy shit I didn't even consider that. There are thousands of humans who took off work, arranged lodging, and plan to tailgate in a spot that will be closed when they arrive.

That oversight alone shows how clueless this administration is.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 am

I half expected that WD article to be written by T-Dog and only after he saw the tweet/read this MMB thread about the internal email.

Kick off is in 6 days.

appgrouch

Unread post by appgrouch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:26 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 am
appgrouch wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:
Goapps15 wrote:

I'm stunned to see someone publicly post that football hasn't impacted the growth in enrollment and quality of applicants. It's an objective fact.
I did not say anything about Quality, or the number of applicants increasing. Except for 3 years, the growth and projected growth has stayed at between 1% - 2% for a 15 - 20 year period. Back in 2000 we were going to a projected/targeted enrollment of at least 20,000 students by 2025. This was a target handed down from the system.

Has football put our name out there more? Yes
Has football caused us to accept more students? No
Has football caused us to get moved up on some people's lists? Yes
Has football contributed to new degrees or programs? No
Has football gotten us more state money for advancement? No
Has football run up the University's debt spending? Yes (Debt Reduction Spending per year: $124 Athletics vs $165 Rest of Campus)

App State Teachers College was founded to provide trained educators for mountain areas that were underserved.

For the record:
I am not against Athletics/Football
I am not against Academics
I am generally of the opinion that when we have a major issue, or something that get elevated to that level, we should lean to the side of the mission of the university.

Years ago this board was calling for a common exam for most of the Freshmen and Sophomore business students that had been scheduled for a weeknight for 6 months to be rescheduled so Raley could be used for tailgating for a first round playoff game that got scheduled a week prior.

I am going to stop wasting my digital breath on this now.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm

As an alumnus, I buy season tickets to see football and visit the area as many do. But season tickets are not all I am buying. I'm renting a cabin, going out to eat, getting groceries, shopping on King Street, and spending money in other various ways. Not only do athletics help the school, but it helps the economy and Boone would would not have much going on were it not for the athletic programs. In fact, I think it would look like Cullowhee if it weren't for football.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”