Lot Opening Times for GS

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: Lot Opening Times for GS

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Ask ETSU what football means to a university. If things were better off after they disbanded it in 2003(?), they wouldn't have brought it back.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Over the top, passionate tailgating is what makes App State football unique. Don't believe it? Wait till you attend the upcoming wine & cheese event in Chapel Hill in a few years. When Southern Living Magazine points to our environment as one of the best in the south, they aren't doing it because our fan base casually shows up a few hours before games. We go hard.

I agree that when this date was set MANY, MANY months ago, planning should have begun on how to make it an even more special afternoon. Prime time game, our most hated rival, national TV...we could/should have pulled out all the stops.

I know that I personally requested PTO for both Thursday and Friday of next week on the week that the schedule was announced so that I wouldn't have an issue. Yes, I take vacation time and pre-plan to tailgate because it is one of the highlights of my year.

The gameday experience is what drove me back to campus 10 years ago after graduating in '86 and being away for far too many years. Candidly, I donate to Yosef Club at the level that I do primarily because of the game day experience; this includes my seats and my tailgating spot. (Just being honest here.) It is important to those of us who thrive on being in Boone six weekends per Fall, rain or shine.

It's not "all about me" as someone stated earlier, it's actually all about US. The "us" includes both current students and faculty that should be a thriving part of a gameday event like this.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 pm

There are certain things we control in this situation. We cannot control that we have a Thursday night game, and we cannot control the opponent, or that the opponent will be having a good season. App State Football wasn't built on what's on the other sideline. It was built on what is on our sideline. What we can control is our own situation, and when that is controlled by what you cannot control, then you start taking a step backwards. We are playing a home game, and there is only six of them a year. For more than just a few, those days are sacred days. We pour not only money into the school and community, but our time and our families time. When that time is viewed as not being important by others, it has negative effects. Lets get rid of the theory that tailgating=drinking obsessively. Tailgating is much more than a cooler of beer. Tailgating is about friends, food, and being outside in the most beautiful place on earth. Personally, I don't know how to tailgate small, or quickly. I've got to have the whole experience. Four hours between parking and kickoff isn't enough time for really anything, such as cooking food, and throwing a few games of cornhole, talking to friends, etc. We have to do better than this going forward.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am emailing you this afternoon in response to the parking times that have been leaked out. I have been attending App games since I was 2 months old through my 4 years as a student and now on my second year as an alum. I have convinced a few in my friend group to join Yosef Club so that we may make many of the same memories that I experienced growing up. My father has been in stadium lot for as long as I can remember. My 3 year goal was to be able to give to the point where me and him would have spots next to each other, in stadium, for many more great memories. The parking situation for the Thursday night game, 11/9/17, is unacceptable. I understand this is not as easy decision and lots of moving parts are involved in these types of situations. However, the young alum parking lot not opening until 5:00pm is just flat out not good enough. I, along with many of my friends, have taken 2 days off work for this game and now will not be able to enjoy game day activities until 5 for a 7:30 kickoff. Where are we supposed to go that entire day? So by the time I get through traffic and get in my spot and put out my tailgating supplies it will be time to pack up and walk in the stadium. That kills any type of game day atmosphere and fun I would have with my friends and family. My love for this University is great, I have given money all while I bought a house, planned a wedding and changed careers, however I will not be slapped in the face with decisions like these. If that time does not change for the young alums I will not be renewing my Yosef Club donation next year and will encourage many of my friends and family to do the same. I want to support this University as I have my entire life but I will not stand for decisions like these. The future stadium lot donors begin as young alums. I may not give much right now, but my goal was to do so much more in the near future. I know you many not be directly responsible for these decisions as I know Chancellor Everts is active in these situations as well. Please feel free to share my email with anyone who you feel may need to see it.

If you have any questions please feel free to email back.

Thanks,

This is the email I sent earlier. Some of the stuff I threatened is harsh but being here seeing where App game day came from to now it seems taking a step back as BigC said. I can't allow that.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 pm
There are certain things we control in this situation. We cannot control that we have a Thursday night game, and we cannot control the opponent, or that the opponent will be having a good season. App State Football wasn't built on what's on the other sideline. It was built on what is on our sideline. What we can control is our own situation, and when that is controlled by what you cannot control, then you start taking a step backwards. We are playing a home game, and there is only six of them a year. For more than just a few, those days are sacred days. We pour not only money into the school and community, but our time and our families time. When that time is viewed as not being important by others, it has negative effects. Lets get rid of the theory that tailgating=drinking obsessively. Tailgating is much more than a cooler of beer. Tailgating is about friends, food, and being outside in the most beautiful place on earth. Personally, I don't know how to tailgate small, or quickly. I've got to have the whole experience. Four hours between parking and kickoff isn't enough time for really anything, such as cooking food, and throwing a few games of cornhole, talking to friends, etc. We have to do better than this going forward.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Weather's looking interesting Thursday.

App74

Unread post by App74 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

bigCasu wrote:
I have read this post at least a dozen times. This epitomizes what I feel inside but lack the ability to put it into words. I have made more friends in App tailgate lots than I ever imagined, some as far as Montana and Wyoming. I have watched kids grow up in those lots and become App students. I want my family and friends to remember me as someone that was all in and willing to go the distance. My dream is to have an administration with the same desire.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:18 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:58 am
What is amazing is that this info was found out through an App faculty email. There has been
ZERO Yosef Club communication on this so far.

This should have been taken care of months ago. We knew this game would be on that date at that time on March 1.
T - our athletic department can’t even get marketing together timely for Mountaineer Madness the Friday night before a home football game (what an opportunity to showcase the b-ball programs). What makes you think they had any thought to notify Season Ticket holders of parking lot times for a Thursday game (well) in advance? Gaso won’t show up on their radar until Monday when they get back from ULM.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:21 pm

App74 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm
bigCasu wrote:
I have read this post at least a dozen times. This epitomizes what I feel inside but lack the ability to put it into words. I have made more friends in App tailgate lots than I ever imagined, some as far as Montana and Wyoming. I have watched kids grow up in those lots and become App students. I want my family and friends to remember me as someone that was all in and willing to go the distance. My dream is to have an administration with the same desire.
It’s the circle of life... Tailgating keeps Alumni and Friends of the University engaged with the University. The greater the engagement, the more $$$ theoretically is donated to all aspects of the University. At a time where University budgets are cut more and more, In no way should we actively suppress that engagement.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Some of the brightest minds at App I know can find a solution to make up classes missed after 1PM one Thursday a year.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm
Weather's looking interesting Thursday.
Yep...Not to be a wet blanket but with a projected high of 48 and low of 24, mid week game, no hype w/ struggling GS, game on TV, the reality is the lots will be a ghost town except for right at game time parking. I HOPE I AM PROVEN DEAD WRONG, as I will be tailgating in force...

While there are several hundred passionate tailgaters who will be going hard rain or shine, warm or cold and rightfully have a point about being denied "their time", basically the lots will be devoid of what we all picture as "App State tailgating". Late season games are just that way.

Again I hope I am wrong and the Mountaineer passion shows up to blow up tailgating on this one but I just don't see it happening...

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 am

3rd wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm
Good Afternoon,

I am emailing you this afternoon in response to the parking times that have been leaked out. I have been attending App games since I was 2 months old through my 4 years as a student and now on my second year as an alum. I have convinced a few in my friend group to join Yosef Club so that we may make many of the same memories that I experienced growing up. My father has been in stadium lot for as long as I can remember. My 3 year goal was to be able to give to the point where me and him would have spots next to each other, in stadium, for many more great memories. The parking situation for the Thursday night game, 11/9/17, is unacceptable. I understand this is not as easy decision and lots of moving parts are involved in these types of situations. However, the young alum parking lot not opening until 5:00pm is just flat out not good enough. I, along with many of my friends, have taken 2 days off work for this game and now will not be able to enjoy game day activities until 5 for a 7:30 kickoff. Where are we supposed to go that entire day? So by the time I get through traffic and get in my spot and put out my tailgating supplies it will be time to pack up and walk in the stadium. That kills any type of game day atmosphere and fun I would have with my friends and family. My love for this University is great, I have given money all while I bought a house, planned a wedding and changed careers, however I will not be slapped in the face with decisions like these. If that time does not change for the young alums I will not be renewing my Yosef Club donation next year and will encourage many of my friends and family to do the same. I want to support this University as I have my entire life but I will not stand for decisions like these. The future stadium lot donors begin as young alums. I may not give much right now, but my goal was to do so much more in the near future. I know you many not be directly responsible for these decisions as I know Chancellor Everts is active in these situations as well. Please feel free to share my email with anyone who you feel may need to see it.

Thanks,

This is the email I sent earlier. Some of the stuff I threatened is harsh but being here seeing where App game day came from to now it seems taking a step back as BigC said. I can't allow that.
I get your disappointment and that it needs to be fixed and I'm sure in the future it will but I think this the most selfish post I've seen when you threaten withholding funds that hurt the program because you miss a couple hours of tailgating. A true fan doesn't do this over one event...

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:02 am

3rd wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm
Good Afternoon,

Thanks,

Did you read this before you posted it? Is this how you really want to represent yourself?
This reads like a nasty stereotype of your age group by someone who is not of your age group. I truly hope it was a temper tantrum you regret and don't really feel this way.

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am

I firmly believe that Everts will be the reason Gillin leaves to a bigger pond in the next few years. It has to do with bonehead "academics first" decisions like this. She is detached from everything and everyone living in her personal bubble of academia. She cannot feasibly see how athletics, specifically football directly raise our academic profile. She is also completely unrelatable to almost all of our fan base and who we are as people culturally. She needs to go work somewhere without a football program in the Northeast (likely her dream job).

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 am

manonabuffalo wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 am
I firmly believe that Everts will be the reason Gillin leaves to a bigger pond in the next few years. It has to do with bonehead "academics first" decisions like this. She is detached from everything and everyone living in her personal bubble of academia. She cannot feasibly see how athletics, specifically football directly raise our academic profile. She is also completely unrelatable to almost all of our fan base and who we are as people culturally. She needs to go work somewhere without a football program in the Northeast (likely her dream job).
She is a tone deaf and clueless bureaucratic bot, but I don't think she alone makes these decisions. I would double my donation to the school if we could get rid of her. Not sure how we got stuck with her.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am

If Gillen goes anywhere it's because it doubles his salary.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 am

I feel like we hate the Chancellor because her tenure followed the most beloved Chancellor in school history. The true culprit is ESPN for forcing us to play a Thursday game in front of 15,000 people. No one outside of hardcore college football nerds or alumni watch these broadcasts. Don't give me that "showcase game" malarkey.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:32 am

Oh yes I read it many times and sent it to a few "big" donors before I sent it and they agreed, (and are thinking of same thing) If my time, my family's time and my money gets craped on I will find somewhere else to spend it. Of all the complaining that has happened on this message board about the different things going on I have never once sent an email bc I just didn't care. Some people like the band playing some like the "piped in music" some people like the track others don't and so on and so forth. I gave for the betterment of a program I love and trusted the people in charge to make decisions and I will live with them no problem. This decision spits directly in my face and the faces of other young alums.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:35 am

To me I understand 3rds frustration as a young alum however I will still donate.

The younger alums need to be more involved with the YC and university as a whole. A good way to make all fans feel welcome is to have all of the lots open at the same time. Tailgating is how I network professionally and got my first job out of college. We have to be better than this pathetic effort from Everts.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 am

We have interesting demographics at Appalachian. We have militant hippies/free spirits and militant college football fans. The Chancellor is caught between a rock and a hard place. It's called compromise, folks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”