Scott Gone

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: Scott Gone

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

Tim Horton was an assistant coach at App when Scott Satterfield was a freshman at App. Why has he not gotten a better opportunity than a positions coach and recruiting coordinator? You would think in that time if he was capable, he would have risen in the ranks a little more.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am
Tim Horton was an assistant coach at App when Scott Satterfield was a freshman at App. Why has he not gotten a better opportunity than a positions coach and recruiting coordinator? You would think in that time if he was capable, he would have risen in the ranks a little more.
You could say that about quite a few of the guys on that list of 10. I think we should use the Occam’s razor approach… Which is the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. That explanation is They haven’t been viewed by their employers or peer institutions as coordinator or head coach material. Either that, or they have no desire to do that job. So let’s not talk them into it.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 am

Or because he's turned down opportunities to ensure he was in position to come to Boone when it became available (and it is offered)?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:55 am

appgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 am
You could say that about quite a few of the guys on that list of 10. I think we should use the Occam’s razor approach… Which is the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. That explanation is They haven’t been viewed by their employers or peer institutions as coordinator or head coach material. Either that, or they have no desire to do that job. So let’s not talk them into it.
Most have been coordinators or have not been coaching since 1990. Horton has been coaching for 28 years and never been promoted to a coordinator. I don't believe he's coached alongside any recent and current staff, but I could be wrong.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 pm

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm

From SBNATION today - "3 reasons Scott Satterfield was a smart fallback for Louisville."

"The Cardinals didn’t get Jeff Brohm, but they made one of the better hires of the offseason anyway."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ille-hired
Give Em Hell!!

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

What the hell is this “Eers” shite? Where did that come from? The heads will spin offof the people ho hate “Neers!”

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm
From SBNATION today - "3 reasons Scott Satterfield was a smart fallback for Louisville."

"The Cardinals didn’t get Jeff Brohm, but they made one of the better hires of the offseason anyway."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ille-hired
Wow. As if "Neers" wasn't enough to prompt lengthy threads on the MMB, this guy calls us "Eers" through the entire article. YIKES!

StinklikeRoses
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by StinklikeRoses » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey, guys. Greetings from gnatland. I just registered on here but have lurked on occasion - usually just prior to our annual get togethers.

Don't expect any trash talk from me - I'll leave that to those who enjoy such sport. I'm one who subscribes to a model of mutual respect between our programs.

I decided I'd chime in given your current situation since we've unfortunately become old hat over the last several years at this coaching carousel thing. Couple of things based on experience:

-welcome to the grind the rest of us have had to live with . . . it ain't no fun. The better your coach performs, the more attractive he is to other programs, and you-like us-can't really hope to compete at this point in time with the deep pockets of the schools a successful coach will draw interest from. Having two coaches over 30+ years (including one from within with deep roots in the program) and sustained success is unfortunately something that just doesn't happen any more.

-reading these threads is such deja vu - "can't believe he'd leave us . . . guess it's just all about the money", "P5 coordinator vs. position coach vs. FCS head coach", "got to have someone with ties to the program", etc. If you add in a heated debate about whether or not you should focus on a particular offense that brought you the bulk of your historical success, you could pretty much overlay the primary topics with those from our forum when Monken and Fritz left us and when we fired Summers. I have to hand it to you guys, you're handling it pretty well. We'd be in full-on meltdown mode right about now.

-keep in mind what these guys currently make that you're talking about - although it sounds like most of the names being thrown around are potentially 'getable'. If Satterfield was set to make $750K+/- next year, and you assume that you all might be willing to up the ante a little for the right guy, that might take some of the bigger-name P5 coordinators off the table.

-I'd imagine your AHC would coach the bowl game. Satt won't poach your recruits, although a couple might flip on their own. He'll definitely take what he wants from your staff and they'll get raises, and the new coach may only keep a couple of those remaining, if any. That's just how it works.

-don't fall victim to the "let's get a guy who wants to be here and will never leave" mindset. That guy doesn't exist. Who else in the universe of college football had deeper ties to a program than SS? If a coach is successful, he'll get solicited by programs with deeper pockets, and if there's an opportunity to move into a different category of compensation, he'll likely go. Whether it be financial security for their family, or the desire for a bigger challenge (this is a very real thing for guys in this profession), they are all going to listen if someone comes calling. Now, a degree of allegiance might make it a little harder decision or make them a bit more selective (and a guy isn't likely to go for just a nominal raise), but if you can lock down $1.5MM or so guaranteed for 5 years - doubling your salary - AND get the chance to prove that you can do it "at the next level" AND potentially parlay that into an opportunity at a truly premier program, you're going to seriously consider it.

-don't beat yourself up about not paying the last coach enough - the most you can possibly pay still isn't going to be enough to keep a guy if all the other boxes are checked at a deep-pockets program. $950K vs. $750K wasn't likely going to make the difference in him staying or going. (I do find it odd, however, that y'all had SS's buyout so low. That's something that needs to be tightened up with the next guy).

-you guys have a pretty decent list of candidates with ties to the school of some sort, although none with HC experience. I am kind of surprised to hear so much love for Ruffin McNeill on here, although you guys likely have a better feel for him than I would.

That's it. Good luck. You'll be fine in the long run, of course --you've got tradition, fan base, talented roster, and now the proven opportunity to springboard into the P5 to attract and assist your next coach(es). It will be much harder than it has in the past to stay as consistent as you have over recent years, though - changing schemes, recruiting continuity/uncertainty, and the real possibility of completely whiffing (or not hitting a home run) with every coaching change is a real challenge to overcome.

Now, go win that bowl game . . .

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Not really news, but on the ESPN NCAFF lead page:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -new-coach

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Has Scott officially said he’s gone? Has he signed a contract?

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Does anyone know what's going to happen with his buyout? I could be wrong, but it looks like we get 450k-ish from Louisville if he gets Gilligan's permission to go and 1.2mil-ish if he does not. Seems like an opportunity grant permission and to schedule 3 games at Louisville for guarantee of 3.5mill-ish.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:34 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm
100% done deal.

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm

He’s in Louisville, suit no tie, private jet has a Louisville pin on his lapel.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:41 pm
He’s in Louisville, suit no tie, private jet has a Louisville pin on his lapel.
I would say that’s a wrap

appalum2003

Unread post by appalum2003 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Money isn't everything.

StinklikeRoses
School: Georgia Southern

Unread post by StinklikeRoses » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm
Does anyone know what's going to happen with his buyout? I could be wrong, but it looks like we get 450k-ish from Louisville if he gets Gilligan's permission to go and 1.2mil-ish if he does not. Seems like an opportunity grant permission and to schedule 3 games at Louisville for guarantee of 3.5mill-ish.
I know I'm an interloper here, but coach's contracts are kind of my 'thing'. He has to pay the school a lump sum equal to his current base salary - $425K - within 30 days. Assuming he already got permission to interview, he doesn't need permission to take the job, so the other clause does not come into play. That would be if he secretly struck a deal and quit without notifying y'all's AD.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:57 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
I still had a small sliver of hope. But the lapel pin says it all.
money is everything. It's over. RIP.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

appalum2003 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm
Money isn't everything.
In fairness to Scott, he may very well have accomplished everything he could in Boone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”